Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest really splashing the cash

22 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Don't Lingard's wages alone make up nearly 20% of any parachute payment?

1 year deal,  he wont be there if they are down

33 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

They had 19 players out of contract. They did not have much choice...

Maybe the perfect storm. Let's see.

Rumours i hear are that none of these players are Cooper's choice and that the owner already is looking at a big name manager.

I used to like Forest, or mainly from watching the soccer 6 tournament in 1988ish but I really want them to go down now.

Along with Bournemouth who I hope get less points than us.

Fulham however I'd like to stay up 

In my opinion Forest are fine, I hate the current dash for cash, it is does not guarantee success, but a lack of it does guarantee failure.  T least that is my current negative thoughts.  

On 26/08/2022 at 21:42, Newtopia said:

In my opinion Forest are fine, I hate the current dash for cash, it is does not guarantee success, but a lack of it does guarantee failure.  T least that is my current negative thoughts.  

Actually a dash for cash guarantees failure. As so many ex PL clubs will bear witness to. It is whether you feel that an extra couple of seasons in the PL is worth condemning your club to Championship (or even L1) no hopers.

Apparantly now in for Lodi,Aurier and Wiily Boly now too..

Henderson

Aurier    Boly   Niakhate   Lodi

Kouyate

Gibbs-White    Mangala

Lingard

Awoniyi      Dennis

This will be the thick end of £160m +loan fees on an entirely new team....but for all of that, I still dont think it looks one who definitely won't go down..

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

They have just signed a la liga winning Brazilian international from Athletico Madrid and are about to sign Willy Bolly from Wolves 🤯

Willy Bolly from Wolly?! Golly!

• Haha 2

They looked OK yesterday although Spurs won at a canter. There will be easier games to come but I will be surprised if they finish higher than bottom six.

21 hours ago, ricardo said:

They looked OK yesterday although Spurs won at a canter. There will be easier games to come but I will be surprised if they finish higher than bottom six.

Anything out of the bottom 3 will be a result for them though same as any new promoted club. I like their manager a lot though I don’t think it’s beyond him as he has to effectively do the same last year in building a new team coming in after the season has started. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ricardo said:

It's a measure of how nuts the PL is that if they finish 15th-17th it will be money well spent. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ricardo said:

They reminded me of us when we first went up under Farke- some good movement going forward and nice work but defensively they looked totally open.

• Like 1

They are closing in on a 19th signing?  That’s surely an insane number.  I suppose it protects them from the charge of ‘not having a go’ if it goes south.  Actually, I’m yet to see any such comments this season, they appear to just be reserved for us.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

They are closing in on a 19th signing?  That’s surely an insane number.  I suppose it protects them from the charge of ‘not having a go’ if it goes south.  Actually, I’m yet to see any such comments this season, they appear to just be reserved for us.

Why do so many of our fans think the world is against us? All they have been talking about this morning on TalkSport is Bournemouth not 'having a go'. 

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

They reminded me of us when we first went up under Farke- some good movement going forward and nice work but defensively they looked totally open.

I agree, but the media darlings are being described as ‘gritty’ and ‘scary’. Kane’s goal ‘bobbled’ into their net. Newcastle got a draw against Man C and ‘they are nearly ready to compete at the top’ - we bet them and it barely got any coverage. It seems if you have money, you get the plaudits. 

1 minute ago, astro said:

I agree, but the media darlings are being described as ‘gritty’ and ‘scary’. Kane’s goal ‘bobbled’ into their net. Newcastle got a draw against Man C and ‘they are nearly ready to compete at the top’ - we bet them and it barely got any coverage. It seems if you have money, you get the plaudits. 

Yeah they are getting the Leeds treatment- 'fallen giant' back in the big time because they were good in the 70's so they are media darlings. So annoying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Why do so many of our fans think the world is against us? All they have been talking about this morning on TalkSport is Bournemouth not 'having a go'. 

The valid complaint is that pundits don't take the time to do their homework and so know very little about us but pontificate anyway. When we sacked Hughton, for example, the standard line was it was a crazy decision because we weren't even in the relegation zone. No, but that was where we were inexorably heading under Hughton.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The valid complaint is that pundits don't take the time to do their homework and so know very little about us but pontificate anyway. When we sacked Hughton, for example, the standard line was it was a crazy decision because we weren't even in the relegation zone. No, but that was where we were inexorably heading under Hughton.

Yeah that is a valid complaint but I also agree with @Hank shoots Skyler in that some of our fans seem to think the media specifically have it in for us in this regard, when they clearly don't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah that is a valid complaint but I also agree with @Hank shoots Skyler in that some of our fans seem to think the media specifically have it in for us in this regard, when they clearly don't.

I agree. It is a lack of coverage and a lack of knowledge rather than a dislike. The nationals and the main broadcast media all have correspondents aligned if not with a specific Premier League club then certainly with an area.

So a Midlands football writer, and a north-west correspondent and a London expert. The Guardian has Louise Taylor covering north-east football, so if something happens with Middlesbrough or Sunderland or Newcastle United she will weigh in with informed analysis. As far as I know nobody has an East Anglian correspondent!

And the ex-player pundits will often have played for one or other of the big clubs - partly why they get chosen in the first place - and so still follow what goes on there. I don't know but offhand I cannot think of someone who mainly played for us who then ended up as a national pundit.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree. It is a lack of coverage and a lack of knowledge rather than a dislike. The nationals and the main broadcast media all have correspondents aligned if not with a specific Premier League club then certainly with an area.

So a Midlands football writer, and a north-west correspondent and a London expert. The Guardian has Louise Taylor covering north-east football, so if something happens with Middlesbrough or Sunderland or Newcastle United she will weigh in with informed analysis. As far as I know nobody has an East Anglian correspondent!

And the ex-player pundits will often have played for one or other of the big clubs - partly why they get chosen in the first place - and so still follow what goes on there. I don't know but offhand I cannot think of someone who mainly played for us who then ended up as a national pundit.

Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin so some fairly regular punditry but apart from that there aren't many. I do think there is maybe a minor bit of 'travelling to Norwich is a pain in the ****' annoyance with us but it is quite small and not colouring our general coverage. The problem is we're in the same boat as a team like West Brom or Bournemouth in that we're not interesting from a narrative perspective. We're regularly in the Premier League but don't do much when we're there so there has been no 'plucky underdog' storyline since Lambert, we're not a new 'exotic' club to get excited about at that level  (ala Brentford) but we're also not a 'fallen giant' like Leeds or Forest. So we won't get column inches because why would a national write about a team with so little interest.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin so some fairly regular punditry but apart from that there aren't many. I do think there is maybe a minor bit of 'travelling to Norwich is a pain in the ****' annoyance with us but it is quite small and not colouring our general coverage. The problem is we're in the same boat as a team like West Brom or Bournemouth in that we're not interesting from a narrative perspective. We're regularly in the Premier League but don't do much when we're there so there has been no 'plucky underdog' storyline since Lambert, we're not a new 'exotic' club to get excited about at that level  (ala Brentford) but we're also not a 'fallen giant' like Leeds or Forest. So we won't get column inches because why would a national write about a team with so little interest.

I think there were murmurings that first time we went up under Farke because F365 did some decent coverage as to why and who this new German manager was at the time. A few journalists were interested in how we’d gone about the infrastructure review and Colney redevelopment etc. but that faded as we petered out in 19/20 and stank the place out. Since then we’ve been a footnote. The only way we won’t be is by going beyond our usual stay of one season in the Prem and maybe, just maybe clinging on. 

The Milwaukee angle will stir up a bit of interest next time we go up. They'll probably start looking at Baseball on MOTD for example and how the infrastructure and performance on the diamond under Attanasio has changed.