Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest really splashing the cash

I’ll be more interested in seeing how Fulham -and Mitrovic do tbh. I think Forest will stay up especially when you consider how good Cooper is as a coach. Good luck to them

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Just so you know, I am saving this just in case it all goes t1ts up for them. 😂

One dodgy tackle and it’s a lot of money p1ssed away.

Your not wrong there, that said do fancy a bet? 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Your not wrong there, that said do fancy a bet? 

Not a gambler, sorry. 😐

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Just so you know, I am saving this just in case it all goes t1ts up for them. 😂

One dodgy tackle and it’s a lot of money p1ssed away.

Surprised Midlands is still so desperate to claim other teams will stay up comfortably when he was adament with me that Leeds wouldn't even be close to a relegation battle last season because of the ambition that club has compared to us (they've also sold their two best players which apparently only Norwich do).

Edited by hogesar
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I’ll be more interested in seeing how Fulham -and Mitrovic do tbh. I think Forest will stay up especially when you consider how good Cooper is as a coach. Good luck to them

They're lucky to have Cooper an experienced english manager who seems to know what it takes it terms of personnel to survive (on paper). You would fancy them to play some decent football and stay up. 

In hindsight our signing were so poor last summer we never really stood a chance. Hopefully we can make some shrewd signings this year and aim to bounceback, with a vastly different transfer strategy from last time. 

• Like 1

Investment has permitted Forest to have a decent go at staying up with their owners having sufficient wealth to manage relegation to the championship should the worst happen. That’s the material difference between us and Forest. Only new investment will help break our cycle of failure.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Surprised Midlands is still so desperate to claim other teams will stay up comfortably when he was adament with me that Leeds wouldn't even be close to a relegation battle last season because of the ambition that club has compared to us (they've also sold their two best players which apparently only Norwich do).

You’ve forgot to mention they’ve spent every penny (and more) on replacements after selling Raphina and Phillips. 

Surprised no other Prem clubs came in for him, which makes wonder if at 29, his decline has already begun.

That said if I was a Forest fan right now, I'd be celebrating, in Hooters probably.

7 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Investment has permitted Forest to have a decent go at staying up with their owners having sufficient wealth to manage relegation to the championship should the worst happen. That’s the material difference between us and Forest. Only new investment will help break our cycle of failure.

I’m still waiting for the famous fire sale… 😐

• Haha 1

Amazing business if they can get him anywhere near his West Ham form. Difference between going down and staying up... however, he will now be kicked off the pitch every game as the main man to focus on, especially when it comes to rival relegation clubs.

Interesting deal for all concerned. Let's see what the consensus is this time next year..

36 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

They're lucky to have Cooper an experienced english manager who seems to know what it takes it terms of personnel to survive (on paper). You would fancy them to play some decent football and stay up. 

In hindsight our signing were so poor last summer we never really stood a chance. Hopefully we can make some shrewd signings this year and aim to bounceback, with a vastly different transfer strategy from last time. 

Interesting you say about the vastly different strategy next time - I thought lessons had been learned from 19/20 when going into last summer..

In fairness it’s easy to forget Webber is still in his 30s and he and his team are still learning despite all his bluster - I like him but his problem is his brusqueness, had he kept quiet about “pi55ing money up the wall” seasons before and ripping on Fulham for spending a £100 mill and still going down, I think people would have been more patient with him. 

8 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Interesting you say about the vastly different strategy next time - I thought lessons had been learned from 19/20 when going into last summer..

In fairness it’s easy to forget Webber is still in his 30s and he and his team are still learning despite all his bluster - I like him but his problem is his brusqueness, had he kept quiet about “pi55ing money up the wall” seasons before and ripping on Fulham for spending a £100 mill and still going down, I think people would have been more patient with him. 

Webber wont want to go over old ground unless we get promoted again and he may well cover it then re: recruitment and what he will do this time around differently. I hope that the signings he has made arent injured or suffer from injuries early on in the season or he'll become a dead man walking very quickly with the fanbase. It seems he has rolled the dice a little again this season, so time will tell.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

(they've also sold their two best players which apparently only Norwich do).

I don't think anybody has ever claimed this...

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Palinha seems a good signing on paper and they do have a strong squad with lots of momentum. Interested to see how they do.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Just search "selling our best players" on here and no, it's not reserved for just the Emi sale (which is the standout unusual case that i'd agree with without context).

There are numerous examples, especially in 2019 about how fans on here would love different owners so that we "wouldnt have to sell our best players anymore like we always do" - the point being that all clubs bar the top few sell their best players, with or without rich owners.

They only need to find 3 worse teams than them. Last season they probably would've been ok given how shockingly poor the bottom 3 were. This season will be much harder as I doubt Leeds and Everton will be quite as bad. 

18 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They only need to find 3 worse teams than them. Last season they probably would've been ok given how shockingly poor the bottom 3 were. This season will be much harder as I doubt Leeds and Everton will be quite as bad. 

Leeds have lost their best players and Everton… I’m just not sure Lampard can get a tune out of them. I would think they might get rid early on in the season if they’re tanking 

49 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Just search "selling our best players" on here and no, it's not reserved for just the Emi sale (which is the standout unusual case that i'd agree with without context).

There are numerous examples, especially in 2019 about how fans on here would love different owners so that we "wouldnt have to sell our best players anymore like we always do" - the point being that all clubs bar the top few sell their best players, with or without rich owners.

That isn't the same as 'only Norwich sell their best players' though.

You're a better poster than needing to resort to total strawmen.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sorry if I've made my point unclear but the fairly repeated claim that new owners would mean we wouldn't need to sell our best players is the point i'm referring to as the suggestion is all these other clubs with richer owners don't need to sell. In fact, Leeds were one of the clubs used as an example.

Forest never lost the 'big club' ambition despite losing their way.... we've never lost the 'little club' aura and ambition is something we can only ever dream about.

19 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Forest never lost the 'big club' ambition despite losing their way.... we've never lost the 'little club' aura and ambition is something we can only ever dream about.

Yes, I am sure that over more than 20 seasons Forest fans regarded some kind of metaphysical  " big-club ambition" as much more important and heart-warming than than actually getting to the Premier League.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

What do you mean spend less? it's a one year contract not a five year contract, so no resale value and its a sizeable wage. He's a good player granted, but it would rip our squad apart knowing one player was on twice as much money as everyone else. Just because Tzolis wasn't an instant success at 19 doesn't mean he is rubbish or that his career here is done. 

Webber did admit in his post season interview, that we could have gone down the route of signing proven prem players at the risk of financial problems down the line in the event of relegation, but that he wasn't prepared to do that. Maybe Tzolis will work out long term, but the early signs haven't been all that encouraging. I guess the question is, are we happy spending our transfer budget on players that in all likelihood aren't going to keep us up, but are safer signings that may lead to profits, or this mercenary type signing as Lingard's is in an attempt to keep the prem money rolling in?

It will be interesting to see how this approach plays out, let's face it Lingard is hardly a top Premier League player and they will probably be struggling to not be one of the bottom three clubs, but he must strengthen their chances somewhat.

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I actually do think that Leeds will go down, they've lost their two best players and Bamford can't stay fit, they are going to be in trouble.

Everton I'm less sure about, and they've just lost their best attacking player too.

44 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

are we happy spending our transfer budget on players that in all likelihood aren't going to keep us up, but are safer signings that may lead to profits, or this mercenary type signing as Lingard's is in an attempt to keep the prem money rolling in?

There is a lot in between those two extremes isn't there.

Damarai Gray was 25 years old, cost £1.7m and is said to be on £60k a week. He had 133 Premier League appearances under his belt and a strong chance of resale value. 

5 goals and 4 assists from the left wing for that investment.

People keep stating that Cantwell scored 6 goals and grabbed 2 assists in his first Prem Season to evidence his quality and worth to the team.

2 hours ago, OnDaBall said:

Webber did admit in his post season interview, that we could have gone down the route of signing proven prem players at the risk of financial problems down the line in the event of relegation, but that he wasn't prepared to do that. Maybe Tzolis will work out long term, but the early signs haven't been all that encouraging. I guess the question is, are we happy spending our transfer budget on players that in all likelihood aren't going to keep us up, but are safer signings that may lead to profits, or this mercenary type signing as Lingard's is in an attempt to keep the prem money rolling in?

It will be interesting to see how this approach plays out, let's face it Lingard is hardly a top Premier League player and they will probably be struggling to not be one of the bottom three clubs, but he must strengthen their chances somewhat.

As it stands we have balanced the books by adding value to players and selling them. Most teams have to do this to an extent. Maybe we try and do this too much, rather than getting in a player based on needs here and now. I personally wouldn’t want one or two players paid way more than others as it makes for a poor dressing room but I’m not adverse to a 30 yr old coming in, if they add a bit of know how and assurance at a higher level.

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Heard a lot who have and they’re talking about Buendia who has once again proved that he’s nothing special at prem level 

6 hours ago, king canary said:

It isn't really that different is it?

And also, I wouldn't say it's a total strawman when people are suggesting other teams are doing better than we did. That's essentially how this thread started, the suggestion that Forest are chucking money about more than we could or did. Especially when there are particularly critical posters who take to these sorts of threads for that reason.