Sign in to follow this  
hertfordyellow

Neco Williams

Only seen him for Wales and he looked 'nervy'. 16 million pounds for someone who has made a dozen or so starts ever. It really is a bonkers market now. I can see why we took so many risks in the past. Maybe this is why we are trawling South America now.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 11.35.06.png

Edited by hertfordyellow

There are indeed a number of players Liverpool have sold for big money that never quite looked the money. Jordan Ibe is one. Didn't we have a full back on loan from them who went for decent money too?

22 minutes ago, chicken said:

There are indeed a number of players Liverpool have sold for big money that never quite looked the money. Jordan Ibe is one. Didn't we have a full back on loan from them who went for decent money too?

Wasn’t that Wisdom under Alex Neil?

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Dominic Solanke's the best example. Or mebbe Rhian Brewster.

Forest have gambled £33m on 2 unproven PL players who Liverpool didn't consider genuine first team quality (one of them didn't even get a game). Yet there will be the usual suspects that will laud plucky Forest for giving it a go while showering abuse on Webber for his transfer choices.

• Like 3

I think this also sets a nice benchmark for Aarons. If a player like Williams, with very limited first team football under his belt and three years of a 5 year deal left can justify £16m, I think Aarons with with hundreds of games including two seasons in the Premier League with two years left, can justify £20m. 

• Like 1

Keane Lewis-potter joining Brentford for £16 million plus add-ons that can take it to £20 million. Crazy prices. He scored 13 league goals last season and 12 the year before. 🤷🏻‍♂️

35 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Solanke just helped Bournemouth back to the Prem with 29 goals in 46 games . I can think of worse examples. 

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Solanke just helped Bournemouth back to the Prem with 29 goals in 46 games . I can think of worse examples. 

I believe it’s Jordon Ibe people are trying to remember, £15m for 2/3 goals. 

49 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Keane Lewis-potter joining Brentford for £16 million plus add-ons that can take it to £20 million. Crazy prices. He scored 13 league goals last season and 12 the year before. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But Hull were terrible. I think he and Hickey at about £30m between then will look like absolute bargains next to players like Neco Williams. 

**** me, mention Brentford and this chap shows up. He's like Brentford's version of Beetlejuice. Weird.

Since Brexit, the premium for British players has exploded. Players who have no experience of Premier League football can still command fees of between £15m - £20m. Clubs seem happy to pay these sums though, mostly as they seem to be low risk - UK players seems to retain their transfer value even if they haven't been a success. 

• Haha 1

It's a shame they signed Hickey instead of Brandon Williams from Man Utd, then they could have convinced Ashley Williams to come out of retirement, and signed MJ Williams from Bolton... 😁

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I suspect Solanke is an out of date example now that he's scored 29 league goals to fire them to promotion. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I suspect Solanke is an out of date example now that he's scored 29 league goals to fire them to promotion. 

He was signed for 19 million to keep them in the Premiership though. While it's not been a disaster, I think its been far from a success.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 16.48.46.png

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Forest have gambled £33m on 2 unproven PL players who Liverpool didn't consider genuine first team quality (one of them didn't even get a game). Yet there will be the usual suspects that will laud plucky Forest for giving it a go while showering abuse on Webber for his transfer choices.

There is no evidence he is better than Djed Spence, who was on loan last season. As I've said before, they are going to have to spend 50 million just to replace the loan signings from last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Wasn’t that Wisdom under Alex Neil?

Yes indeed. Thank you.

5 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Did **** all in the Premier League so far, although I take the point that he could just have clicked now at Bournemouth - for this season.