Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Women’s World Cup

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Ladies football cannot be seen as a support act. It needs to evolve on its own 

I agree it needs to evolve but I don't see why it can't be given a helping hand. It already is in the WFL with the money men's teams like Chelsea are putting in and the FA that is funded by the men's game. We will have to agree to disagree I guess. 

6 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I agree it needs to evolve but I don't see why it can't be given a helping hand. It already is in the WFL with the money men's teams like Chelsea are putting in and the FA that is funded by the men's game. We will have to agree to disagree I guess. 

I can see it from that point of view but you don’t have say the u16s or disability team playing before the mens, ladies no different 

Iceland v Italy wasn't the best game. Lots of passion, and feisty at times, but lacking in quality, and not just up front this time 

Italy dominated after a bright start from Iceland, and really should have won

Lots of Iceland fans there, including a few locals, and a great atmosphere 

Watching the France v Belgium match, the New York Stadium is the perfect venue for the size of following of these sides now. Cracking atmosphere. For its size, one of the best new Stadiums in the country. 

SSN "Ellen white can break Wayne Rooney's goalscoring record for england if she gets 2 more goals" 

Erm......

Now don't get me wrong if she's scoring that much for england women's then good on her, but how can she break a record set in the men's team? Last time I checked they're 2 seperate entities, like women's 100m and men's 100m 🤷🤷 this is where I don't understand it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

SSN "Ellen white can break Wayne Rooney's goalscoring record for england if she gets 2 more goals" 

Erm......

Now don't get me wrong if she's scoring that much for england women's then good on her, but how can she break a record set in the men's team? Last time I checked they're 2 seperate entities, like women's 100m and men's 100m 🤷🤷 this is where I don't understand it. 

You are right. The two should not be compared. I've noticed this happening in cricket, too

Also, in mens international's, the number of teams that get stuffed routinely has dropped, most of them are organised and can limit defeat to 2 or 3 goals, most of the time

Check out the UEFA qualifying for the next women's world cup  Some of the goal differences are not pretty at all

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Also, in mens international's, the number of teams that get stuffed routinely has dropped, most of them are organised and can limit defeat to 2 or 3 goals, most of the time

Check out the UEFA qualifying for the next women's world cup  Some of the goal differences are not pretty at all

Yep, a sad indictment of the huge disparities in women's football between the haves and have nots, which is only likely to increase.

Although I'd add the same issue is still prevalent in men's internationals. Teams definitely got "stuffed routinely" during World Cup qualification

1 hour ago, Legend Iwan said:

Yep, a sad indictment of the huge disparities in women's football between the haves and have nots, which is only likely to increase.

Although I'd add the same issue is still prevalent in men's internationals. Teams definitely got "stuffed routinely" during World Cup qualification

Fair point, I was only looking  at European nations. Around the world, there is clearly a different story 

I hope that the disparities in women's football will decrease over the next 10-20 years, but maybe that's just wishful thinking 

5 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Erm......

If Ellen White scores another, no one will have scored more senior goals for England than her. That will be a fact and a record. 

Still don't think it should be mixed or compared. 2 different entities 2 different records. Women's leading goalscorer Ellen white mens leading goalscorer Wayne Rooney. What's wrong with that🤷

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Still don't think it should be mixed or compared. 2 different entities 2 different records. Women's leading goalscorer Ellen white mens leading goalscorer Wayne Rooney. What's wrong with that🤷

Nothing, that still exist, doesn't it? No man had scored more senior goals for England than Rooney, no woman has scored more senior goals fir England than White.

If White scores again, no person would have scored more senior goals for England than her.

Are we meant to pretend that isn't true? Why? What possible reason is there to get butthurt over it? #whataboutmen #whataboutrooney

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Not butthurt at all, just think they should remain separate records.. my opinion. 👍

It is pointless when media outlets try to link the two records, agreed. I dont think fans of either mens or womens football try to combine them though, just the media for god knows what reason.

Seen some good play from England tonight, by the way.

• Like 1

It's a joke that they try and combine the records of men's football with this women's football nonsense, which is so bad it is essentially a different sport. It is laughably bad, and anyone who pretends otherwise is just trying to win do-gooder of the year.

If the women's England team win a tournament, wait for them to announce that it's the first time England have won a trophy since 1966. Absolute b*llocks.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

It's a joke that they try and combine the records of men's football with this women's football nonsense, which is so bad it is essentially a different sport. It is laughably bad, and anyone who pretends otherwise is just trying to win do-gooder of the year.

If the women's England team win a tournament, wait for them to announce that it's the first time England have won a trophy since 1966. Absolute b*llocks.

Any one of these women would absolutely rinse you on the pitch, so what’s lower than laughably bad? 

27 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Any one of these women would absolutely rinse you on the pitch, so what’s lower than laughably bad? 

Genuine question here

How far down the football pyramid would you need to go before you found a mens team than the england womens team would beat?

My local team Dereham Town would beat them...so you'll need to go lower than that.  How do you know what level of football any posters on here have played at?

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Genuine question here

How far down the football pyramid would you need to go before you found a mens team than the england womens team would beat?

My local team Dereham Town would beat them...so you'll need to go lower than that.  How do you know what level of football any posters on here have played at?

True, I don’t. I’m surmising from their post that getting out of bed is an achievement got them. 
it’s not about the standard compared to men, it’s about the comparative standard. Objectively the quality of some of the passing, crosses, movement, control, tackling, etc was and is high standard. The difference in physiology is not something that’s possible to overcome. For that poster to claim it’s ‘laughably bad’ is just nonsense and shoes their level of dislike of the gender rather than the football itself. It’s so painfully obvious and it’s covered with a ‘PC gone crazy’ comment from the dark ages.

• Like 1

I

2 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

True, I don’t. I’m surmising from their post that getting out of bed is an achievement got them. 
it’s not about the standard compared to men, it’s about the comparative standard. Objectively the quality of some of the passing, crosses, movement, control, tackling, etc was and is high standard. The difference in physiology is not something that’s possible to overcome. For that poster to claim it’s ‘laughably bad’ is just nonsense and shoes their level of dislike of the gender rather than the football itself. It’s so painfully obvious and it’s covered with a ‘PC gone crazy’ comment from the dark ages.

It is about the standard compared to men when you say "any one of those women would rinse you"  ...assuming the poster was male.

We're talking about the Englannd team here. If we're talking about the Latvian womens team who england beat 20-0 , I suspect we could cobble together a team of me, you and 9 other random posters on this message board who would beat them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Genuine question here

The women's USA team lost to a boys U-15 team not so long ago didn't they 🤷

32 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Totally disagree with that, just because they've said that doesn't mean they dislike the gender at all, I genuinely believe I've seen better football played on a Sunday on mousehold than some women's games, can the womens game throw up some decent matches? Of course it can, but ultimately it's mostly pony. 

To say that is because of a dislike of the gender is also ridiculous though, for example the sport I done more than anything and is my second sporting love behind ncfc is boxing (so I follow it quite closely still as you can imagine) now at this moment in time the 2 people I like to watch more than any others in boxing right now are savannah marshall and Katie Taylor, two female fighters, followed by Tyson fury. 

So to argue that the reason behind calling women's football bad is that it's a dislike of the gender just doesn't fly, it's a very accurate observation of the product, it's not as regularly good as the men's game but it's constantly compared. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

21 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I

It is about the standard compared to men when you say "any one of those women would rinse you"  ...assuming the poster was male.

We're talking about the Englannd team here. If we're talking about the Latvian womens team who england beat 20-0 , I suspect we could cobble together a team of me, you and 9 other random posters on this message board who would beat them

Safe to assume the poster was male and yes I’m referring to the England women’s team. The average poster on this forum is unlikely to be a semi pro and the USA women’s team may have lost 5-2 to a male U15 team in a professional academy, but factors such as it being a friendly (so like most on here say friendliest are big played at 100%) but also 15 year old male physiology when under professional fitness coaching will still have an huge advantage in terms of pace and strength to women. It’s such a pointless comparison. It’s about women playing women and the non physical aspects of the actual football are really very good, and physically they are faster, stronger and would outmuscle a huge majority of posters on here. 

Part of the problem, as with the note above about Ellen White, is the message isn't congruent and as such will feel disingenuous.

'White can overtake Rooneys scoring record for England'- the two disciplines are on an even keel 

'Of course the game is slower, you can't compare these physical differences!'- the two disciplines are necessarily defined as different

'The argument' can never quite decide if women and men's football (and as such  women and men) need to be seen as completely identical and held in the same regard, or the differences acknowledged in their own right

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Safe to assume the poster was male and yes I’m referring to the England women’s team. The average poster on this forum is unlikely to be a semi pro and the USA women’s team may have lost 5-2 to a male U15 team in a professional academy, but factors such as it being a friendly (so like most on here say friendliest are big played at 100%) but also 15 year old male physiology when under professional fitness coaching will still have an huge advantage in terms of pace and strength to women. It’s such a pointless comparison. It’s about women playing women and the non physical aspects of the actual football are really very good, and physically they are faster, stronger and would outmuscle a huge majority of posters on here. 

I mean Australia women also lost 7-0 to a load of 13 and 14 year old boys too. When they were ranked 5th in the world.

The point being, stop trying to compare the two and treat them as individual sports. I quite enjoyed watching bits of England last night and there were some nice moves. Still think the goals and pitches should be smaller.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Totally disagree with that, just because they've said that doesn't mean they dislike the gender at all, I genuinely believe I've seen better football played on a Sunday on mousehold than some women's games, can the womens game throw up some decent matches? Of course it can, but ultimately it's mostly pony. 

To say that is because of a dislike of the gender is also ridiculous though, for example the sport I done more than anything and is my second sporting love behind ncfc is boxing (so I follow it quite closely still as you can imagine) now at this moment in time the 2 people I like to watch more than any others in boxing right now are savannah marshall and Katie Taylor, two female fighters, followed by Tyson fury. 

So to argue that the reason behind calling women's football bad is that it's a dislike of the gender just doesn't fly, it's a very accurate observation of the product, it's not as regularly good as the men's game but it's constantly compared. 

We’ll agree to disagree on that then. I’ve seen a good amount of Women’s boxing at the olympics, which is just as ‘pony’, but I also watch a lot of outstanding fighters at the top of their craft. I’m not going to say they’re rubbish because they would get KO’d by a 14 year old lad. The number of outstanding female footballers is vast, the professional game is catching up and individuals that are great cannot drag a team to bring their level, this is not shown in a one to one sport like boxing. That said, the overall England and Germany etc womens teams are good across the board. Calling them ‘laughably bad’ is just an insult. Not very veiled either if watching England play you were openly laughing about his bad they were, you weren’t laughing at England. This phrase, that someone feels the staggers is so poor that you would fiend you time laughing about it shows you’re either not understanding the differences of competition and are just going with the lazy trope of ‘women are bad at man things’ or your sense of humour is c***. I’d hate to be in the house while a male member was openly belittling great athletes. 

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I mean Australia women also lost 7-0 to a load of 13 and 14 year old boys too. When they were ranked 5th in the world.

The point being, stop trying to compare the two and treat them as individual sports. I quite enjoyed watching bits of England last night and there were some nice moves. Still think the goals and pitches should be smaller.

Exactly. It’s a stupid comparison to make. Agree. Pitch size fine to look at but the venues getting 30,000+ need to be in place and they have the pitches they have so one for the future with a bit more growth 

• Like 1

You just have to close out all the generic bandwagon jumping and generic politicising. It happens with everything, it’s boring but just ignore it. It’s just a load of talentless bums and hasbeens trying to sell some cheap clicks. Just have to try and enjoy the football. The only focus should be on the current England ladies footballers but, yeah, some have got to make it all about them and getting more Twitter followers.

If the girls win it there will be some that want to lift the trophy before they do.

Edited by The Real Buh

14 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Not butthurt at all, just think they should remain separate records.. my opinion. 👍

They are separate records.

But if (when) Ellen White scores again, she will be the answer to the question who has scored the most senior goals for England.

Your opinion is irrelevant to that fact.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

They are separate records.

But if (when) Ellen White scores again, she will be the answer to the question who has scored the most senior goals for England.

Your opinion is irrelevant to that fact.

Then they aren't separate records, which they should be. 

Irrelevant or not I have one, much like an ãrsehole, everyone has one 😉

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

BuT aN aMaTeUr BoXeR fRoM sPrOwStOn WoUlD bEaT kAtIe TaYlOr.