Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Women’s World Cup

To be fair, I've never really given women's football much of a chance but I did have the game on tonight and it was actually a higher standard than I was expecting. It wasn't bad technically and tactically, but obviously they're not on the same level physically as the men and there are more errors, but overall, I was slightly more impressed than I expected to be.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To be fair, I've never really given women's football much of a chance but I did have the game on tonight and it was actually a higher standard than I was expecting. It wasn't bad technically and tactically, but obviously they're not on the same level physically as the men and there are more errors, but overall, I was slightly more impressed than I expected to be.

Equally as dull as the England mens team 

It's alright as some background viewing whilst pottering around the house in the evening. Not enticing enough to sit there and get passionate about it though. It all seems a little too "friendly" to get stuck into it. 

Same old English problem, just unable to create clear cut changes.  Thought Norfolk's Hemp was strangely ineffective tonight, seemed overawed by the occasion.  But never really in doubt of a victory once they got the lead.

I’ll happily go and watch a women’s game but it does feel it’ll always suffer a bit when compared to the men’s game. As with several other sports, the simple fact that men are faster/stronger does make a difference. I certainly hope we do well and would love to see Norwich get up to the higher leagues.

Edited by Branston Pickle

20 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Football not great, commentary is so annoying

PS: Euro's, not World Cup!

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I watched it but have to compare it to watching the Godfather with John Inman as Vito Corleone instead of Marlon Brando.

Amy Turtle as Cleopatra instead of Elizabeth Taylor maybe? 

• Like 1

Only good thing about that game was the ref was fit. Don't think I'll be watching anymore games.

Good luck to them, I genuinely hope the women's game improves over time, but right now it's not for me. 

• Haha 1

I find that the women's game is very slow in comparison. Players getting passes in positions which in men's football they'd be tackled in seconds, but they don't seem to take advantage of that time.

Still, a decent performance and a win to kick things off!

Please keep threads in their correct place, their is a non football section to chat about this 😉

9 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I simply don't want to watch football at under 14's standard. That's it.

It's ok, ......when it's u14s playing it.

It will be like any tournament. I'll have little interest to start with. England's first game will be pretty uninspiring. Ill watch a few random games on TV/down the pub that first week. Gradually get more into it when the games start to matter then by the end I'll be moaning about the days with no games. At some point there will be a penalty shootout which England will lose and I'll go. Oh well, only 36 days till proper football starts again.

It's absolutely shocking - the standard is cringeworthy, as is the current attempts from the media to ram women's football down our throats, almost trying to force us to watch it. Anyone who airs the opinion that it's sh*t is shot down immediately. 

It might be football, but it's a totally different ball game and it's laughable how much it is being hyped up 😂

• Like 2

The woman's game has improved a lot since the top leagues in Europe went professional.  I'll certainly watch it if it's on, I thought last night England were a little overwhelmed by the occasion, but a win is a win, and the men's team have often struggled in the first group match of a tournament.

I've got tickets for the final at Wembley, it should be a great occasion whoever makes it, but really looking forward to taking the kids to the (new) home of football, something I certainly wouldn't do for the men's senior team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

It's absolutely shocking - the standard is cringeworthy, as is the current attempts from the media to ram women's football down our throats, almost trying to force us to watch it. Anyone who airs the opinion that it's sh*t is shot down immediately. 

It might be football, but it's a totally different ball game and it's laughable how much it is being hyped up 😂

I agree that it’s different to men’s football. Saying it’s **** is relative to the comparison. Compared to men’s football up to a level it is far lower standard, but for women’s football this tournament is the pinnacle. Women sprinters are not as fast as the men, so they don’t race with them but women sprinting is just as good when you see it as the fastest women competing against the fastest women. I’d happily go and watch my local club playing non league football with a crowd of 25 and be entertained, because I’m watching players of roughly equal standard going for it. The atmosphere and standard of women’s elite football pi**es all over that. If you only watch the elite level of any sport you can compare any other level as being **** but that’s why it’s not all just rolled into one. But if you’re a sports fan then you look at each contest in relative terms and find the competition and all the great spectating that brings. To rule it out just because they’re female is sexist and archaic tripe peddled by morons and thankfully the least influential in society, which is why it’s being shown, hyped and enjoyed by literally millions while the sad minority harp on about the good ole days when their wives did the ironing, cooking and kept out of man business. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1

I think the best thing about women's football is fat men who'd risk a heart attack if they tried a 5km run saying how **** highly trained athletes are at it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I think the best thing about women's football is fat men who'd risk a heart attack if they tried a 5km run saying how **** highly trained athletes are at it.

Being a good athlete doesn't mean you're good at football.

No one said women aren't good runners.

The football is sh*t. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

Who's lying to themselves?

Nearly 70,000 in Old Trafford last night forking out cash in a cost of living crisis to watch England women.

Or alex_ncfc from the pinkun forums eating his third packet of family size Chilli Doritos in his pants breathing heavy from a walk to the fridge?

11 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Just spotted the Partridge avatar and realised you're a parody. Apologies.