Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Meanwhile in Germany

On 04/07/2022 at 15:17, cambridgeshire canary said:

Cantwell does seems to be having a good time too, laughing and joking around nonstop. Not quite the brooding lonely outcast he seemed last he played for us..

Perhaps the problem he had has gone? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2022 at 12:17, lake district canary said:

Some pretty basic attempts at trying to swim for sure. Embarrassing actually, you would have thought good athletes would at least have some idea about swimming technique.  i don't blame the schools, because these pampered youngsters have everything going for them. What is the point in being young, well off and plenty of spare time if you haven't even learned to swim properly?  The world is their oyster in many ways, they can have the time, opportunity and finances to learn so much, yet they obviously don't use it on basics like learning to swim properly. 

Are you a fish?

10 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Are you a fish?

No, but I can't understand why well off sportsmen have not learned to swim with good technique. I would think swimming was something that should be part of any fitness training, for strengthening breathing and stamina, not to mention it is so good for nearly all muscles of the body.  It's not as if it isn't that hard to get a good technique at swimming either - you just need to be shown it and apply it.

Still, I'm probably out of touch given that modern methods rely on machines, stats and analytics to govern fitness regimes, but surely the club has a swimming pool? If they have, then there is no excuse for the types of floundering around in the water that we can see in that video.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, but I can't understand why well off sportsmen have not learned to swim with good technique. I would think swimming was something that should be part of any fitness training, for strengthening breathing and stamina, not to mention it is so good for nearly all muscles of the body.  It's not as if it isn't that hard to get a good technique at swimming either - you just need to be shown it and apply it.

Still, I'm probably out of touch given that modern methods rely on machines, stats and analytics to govern fitness regimes, but surely the club has a swimming pool? If they have, then there is no excuse for the types of floundering around in the water that we can see in that video.

Agreed, I mean what would happen if a sinkhole opened up on the pitch, filled up with water during a match and a player fell in? It would be embarrassing. Club’s a joke! 😡

Alternatively, it’s not important for a professional footballer, so no one cares.

Must say i'm probably wrongly enthused by it but I am encouraged by the fact there appears a decent atmosphere amongst the squad out there and what appears to be a fairly upbeat mood. I didn';t expect them to be in a state of mourning or anything but they don't give off the vibe of a squad having come off the back of such a torrid season, possibly helped by having quite a lot of the younger lads out there. Few comments:

1. I concur with the Hugill comment. I think we have quite a quiet bunch of players with him, Gibson and Kenny appearing to be the ones who are a bit more outgoing.

2. Good to seee Todd being fully integrated back into the squad. Who knows what will happen but if he can get his mojo back then at championship level thats like having a new, high quality player. I'd like to see us try and achieve that rather than ship him out on loan again. He's our asset so we may as well get at least one more year of benefit from him if we can.

3. Kenny does not appear to be training yet with the rest of the squad.

4. Unless i've missed it Hayden is also not training with the squad. They showed him get on the plane but i've not noticed him in the videos. Hopefully not something to worry about.

5. Our squad is huge when you consider that Pukki, Tzolis, Rashica, Max, Hanley and Gianoulis are not there.  I am assuming all are having a longer break due to internationals rather than anything else.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Agreed, I mean what would happen if a sinkhole opened up on the pitch, filled up with water during a match and a player fell in? It would be embarrassing. Club’s a joke! 😡

Alternatively, it’s not important for a professional footballer, so no one cares.

This question got me good:

''What is the point in being young, well off and plenty of spare time if you haven't even learned to swim properly?''

Errr, probably everything else in the world that doesn't involve swimming 🤣

• Haha 1

Did I hear Zimbo say to Krul that he was 2 days early? Does that show his commitment to us? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If I was a professional athlete and needed to be absolutely fit then I would expect to do anything to do with that fitness with good form.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I thought we were building a £6m swimming pool to aid their recovery from injury.  If they can't ****ing swim that's another waste of money! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

5. Our squad is huge when you consider that Pukki, Tzolis, Rashica, Max, Hanley and Gianoulis are not there.  I am assuming all are having a longer break due to internationals rather than anything else.

Club has just tweeted that Max and Sinani are in the building (in Germany with the rest of the squad)!  The rest are due there later today.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

If I was a professional athlete and needed to be absolutely fit then I would expect to do anything to do with that fitness with good form.

That’s the point though. If it looks like many professional footballers can’t swim (well), that’s likely to be because they’ve never needed to. In other words, they’ve never been encouraged to because it doesn’t contribute particularly towards their fitness or skills. They’ve been around fitness professionals most of their lives, who will know what the most effective exercise is. Swimming appears not to be part of that.

Also, it appears that Gibson’s poker face is rubbish. When they’re playing cards in the first video his face telegraphs that he’s got at least a couple of aces. Don’t let him take penalties.

Day four for those who haven’t seen it..

looks like everybody is back now. Kenny and Idah seem to be behind the rest in terms of returning from injury and/or fitness. Tzolis doesn’t appear to be a happy camper…which is a shame if true. 

Andy pulling wheelies on that vid.  Felt like shouting "Be careful!" at the screen lol.

Tzolis looked fine to me, I think it's just his character - certainly keeps himself fit when you compare him and Aarons on the bleep test.

Rashica a bit weird though, when doing the tests not giving it his all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Andy pulling wheelies on that vid.  Felt like shouting "Be careful!" at the screen lol.

Tzolis looked fine to me, I think it's just his character - certainly keeps himself fit when you compare him and Aarons on the bleep test.

Rashica a bit weird though, when doing the tests not giving it his all.

Yeah, on reflection I think you are probably right concerning Tzolis - I think he’s quite a serious character. Agree with you about Omo - FFS! Don’t crash! 😂😂

Shakespeare mic’s d up today 

Lots of work on improving our press it would seem 

Still no appearance of Hayden but everyone else seems to be fully integrated into full training. In the "4 way tennis", in the background the U23's seemed to be working on an activity on their own.  Are we seeing the formation of what will be the senior squad now in that tennis game?

I thought Sinani, not that there is much footage of him, looked very sharp in this one.

1 minute ago, astro said:

I thought Sinani, not that there is much footage of him, looked very sharp in this one.

Agreed, and seemed to be a real part of the group as well. 

Just now, shefcanary said:

Agreed, and seemed to be a real part of the group as well. 

I have a feeling he may make the squad rather than get loaned out or sold, but I suppose it all depends on how we are going to set up this season. Interesting times 👍

Obviously they're such cut down videos that it's probably not worth taking much from in this sense, but it does feel like Springett gets a lot of attention from Shakey! Maybe he's being seen as a first team winger this season.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Obviously they're such cut down videos that it's probably not worth taking much from in this sense, but it does feel like Springett gets a lot of attention from Shakey! Maybe he's being seen as a first team winger this season.

If Dowell moves more central as some have suggested, then I reckon there is every chance Springett will get match minutes. Although it could just be that the camera just happens to always catch those two talking together 🤔

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Still no appearance of Hayden but everyone else seems to be fully integrated into full training. In the "4 way tennis", in the background the U23's seemed to be working on an activity on their own.  Are we seeing the formation of what will be the senior squad now in that tennis game?

Could be. As far as I could see, no sign of Tzolis in the head tennis game which may well be a portent of his departure 

Also noticed Rashica has taken on the #7 on his training kit 

More of a fun day yesterday it would seem! 👍

Edit - I do believe this is a sighting of the lesser spotted Hayden 

Edited by astro

It's really good the club are making short videos each day for their YouTube channel. Great to see Onel back

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Putting? They'd be better off practicing "putting" the ball in the back of the net....

#havingfartoomuchfun

God forbid they build some camaraderie and togetherness in advance of the new season. We need them to be robots I tell you, robots! And they can learn to swim properly while they're at it.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Putting? They'd be better off practicing "putting" the ball in the back of the net....

#havingfartoomuchfun

Blimey, Lakey has turned into the moaning doom merchant on here