Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

If we fill just two positions...

With players of genuine quality. Assuming no nailed on first XI players leave. 

What positions would they be for you?

Just two further signings, of starting XI standard. What positions, in an ideal world, would you recruit for?

For me we need another quality centre midfielder, and a quality wide player who can create and score. The pressing need for a wide player is a bit of a damning indictment on our recruitment in reason seasons I feel, with the remarkable number of inadequate wide players we've accrued.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

With players of genuine quality. Assuming no nailed on first XI players leave. 

What positions would they be for you?

Just two further signings, of starting XI standard. What positions, in an ideal world, would you recruit for?

For me we need another quality centre midfielder, and a quality wide player who can create and score. The pressing need for a wide player is a bit of a damning indictment on our recruitment in reason seasons I feel, with the remarkable number of inadequate wide players we've accrued.

I would agree, going off the basis that none of aarons, Giannoulis etc are sold. Plenty of GK, CBs, Fullbacks as it stands, Strikers.

I would've like Tzolis to have stayed and kicked on but I'm basing that on the price tag and not on what he can do, because we haven't really been able to see what he can do. Smith clearly hasn't seen anything from him to want him to stay.

Then after that it's a case of getting players out the door, on loan and permanently.

A proper box-to-box midfielder and for me, that's it. After that, it's let the youngsters have a crack, or those bought last year to redeem themselves.

Creative player for midfield.

If we move on Tzolis, Placheta and possibly Hernandez we'll need another quality winger.

I think an 8 and a 10 would be the obvious holes to fill. Winger is also pretty up in the air with lots of players likely to move and youngsters being untested at the level so I guess a versatile 10 that can play on the wings.

A striker to eventually replace Pukki and a proper box to box midfielder (and the free bonus of Cantwell coming good again!)

Quality is what we need any signing we make should improve the starting eleven for too long we have signed player who may or may yet do that.

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sargent, Cantwell and Rashica (assuming he stays) are when fully fit and on form arguably some of the best wingers in the divison. Rather questionable if we need more

No plan should rely on Cantwell, he has shown that he can't be relied on.

If we can't shift then I hope we can squeeze something out of him while he runs down his deal, but any glimpse of anything resembling good form should be treated purely as a bonus and any plan we have which involves him is a deeply flawed one, and should be torn up, set on fire and then rewritten. The end.

• Like 2

Two CDMs or one if Sorensen is finally going to get a look in.   Ones we can call our own and that have room for development.   Hayden gets injured or we don’t get promoted and we’re back to square one.   That area still isn’t covered but is essential so the offensive side of our game can do better.    Would allow more control of general possession, full backs to get forward, consequently wide players more options and possibly less tracking back, more pressing from the front so we don’t have to sit back passively as we so brilliantly did last season!

CM and AM for me. A box to box player with an eye for a goal and a pass, a better Kenny basically. Also a Buendia replacement - same style of player on the up, not saying we will replace him with a ready replacement that’s not possible.

I look at the squad as is and even if we sold say Rashica and/or Aaron’s we have plenty of depth in those positions with potential.

GK is sorted. Defence is fine at this level even if Aaron's leaves. Up top it’s Pukki again and the three backups are more than enough at this level.

Its in Midfield we are weak, as exposed frequently last year and now we lost 3 bodies from that squad. 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

A proper box-to-box midfielder and for me, that's it.

Why we ever let Brad Johnson go is beyond me.  Why we didn't push to get Billing last season is beyond me, too.

We really lack that heart through the middle, I'm sure Smith will be seeking for it - I get that Farke prefers the many well-oiled cogs approach where you can swap bits out and still maintain some consistency.

But even then it's been proven we relied on Pukki and Emi.  I'd put a proper box-to-box top of my list too, someone who sets the tempo and leads by example.

Trouble is, if we're wanting someone capable of doing it in the prem league it's a 10-20m signing surely? 😞

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sargent

I have a feeling he's going to be one of our most important players next season. I'd be shocked if attempting to replicate that second goal at Watford semi regularly isn't going to a part of our game plan. 

Edited by KeiranShikari

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I look at the squad as is and even if we sold say Rashica and/or Aaron’s we have plenty of depth in those positions with potential.

Am I missing something here....

Where is the depth at right back?

We've got Sam Byram who has been injury prone for his entire career and looks ripe for a conversion into centre back as his body will cope better without having to get up and down the pitch, and we've got Bali Mumba who barely got a kick at relegated Peterborough for most of his loan spell despite being a utility player.

Lose Aarons and we need a right back, simple as.

(Although my OP did specify, my question assumes nobody from the starting XI leaving)

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

One tall strong midfielder who can power up and down with pace 

another midfielder playmaker like a ian crook type who can slow it down then ping a ball 30 yards onto someones toe 

i think midfield is weakest part of squad but should be the strongest they need to be the engine room the players to win the ball and create and score 

hayden

box to box and playmaker 

Mclean on the bench 

1. A CAM to play as the creative midfielder ahead of Hayden

2. RW / RM to be the attacking outlet on the right 

The rest I believe we have loads of options for. For me it's important we sign sheer quality in the above two positions ( a la Hayden quality whereby they would walk into any Champs side ).

Krul, Gunn & McGovern

Aarons (I expect to be sold to pay for these signings), Byram & Mumba

Hanley, Zimmerman, Omo, Gibson

Gianoulis & Mcullum 

Hayden, Sorensen, McLean, PLM & NEW

Rashica, Tzolis (loaned out), Rowe, Springett(loaned out), Hernandez (sold) & Cantwell (sold)

Placheta (loaned out), Dowell, Sinani (sold) & NEW

Pukki, Idah, Sargent, Hugil (sold/loaned out)

By my maths that gives us a senior squad of 24 players with every position having good cover. Even the fullbacks we know Sorenson/Mumba can play either side etc if stretched

Edited by Yella Army

21 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

One tall strong midfielder who can power up and down with pace 

another midfielder playmaker like a ian crook type who can slow it down then ping a ball 30 yards onto someones toe 

i think midfield is weakest part of squad but should be the strongest they need to be the engine room the players to win the ball and create and score 

hayden

box to box and playmaker 

Mclean on the bench 

Spot on there if we play 3 in the middle then we need two quality signings to force McLean to the bench.

40 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Why we ever let Brad Johnson go is beyond me.  Why we didn't push to get Billing last season is beyond me, too.

We really lack that heart through the middle, I'm sure Smith will be seeking for it - I get that Farke prefers the many well-oiled cogs approach where you can swap bits out and still maintain some consistency.

But even then it's been proven we relied on Pukki and Emi.  I'd put a proper box-to-box top of my list too, someone who sets the tempo and leads by example.

Trouble is, if we're wanting someone capable of doing it in the prem league it's a 10-20m signing surely? 😞

I'm not sure Billing was the solution as he's never struck me as being someone who grabs things by the scruff of the neck (if anyone did in that Bournemouth side, I'd actually say Lerma, who struck me as a right piece of work on occasion). I thought Lees-Melou was getting the idea late on in the season, but I also think he's a player who is impeded a bit with McLean around him as they're rather similar sorts of players. Wouldn't mind seeing Lungi, Hayden and PLM as the midfield three as an experiment, to be honest.

31 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I've been attentively reading this board all summer and there's no doubt that we need a Head of Supporter Engagement and a CEO.

Yes. Get Andy Cullen back and if it needs an exit to be able to afford him no problem with that either.

35 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Am I missing something here....

Where is the depth at right back?

We've got Sam Byram who has been injury prone for his entire career and looks ripe for a conversion into centre back as his body will cope better without having to get up and down the pitch, and we've got Bali Mumba who barely got a kick at relegated Peterborough for most of his loan spell despite being a utility player.

Lose Aarons and we need a right back, simple as.

(Although my OP did specify, my question assumes nobody from the starting XI leaving)

Byram looks fit and came through end of season well.

I’m assuming Mumba steps up as backup at this point or it’s probably time to think about whether he has a future here.

Sorensson can cover in a pinch.

If we really need more than two RBs in the Championship it’s probably time for someone to move on.

If Aaron’s doesn’t go I’d assume Mumba is loaned out.

Just now, Monty13 said:

Byram looks fit and came through end of season well.

I’m assuming Mumba steps up as backup at this point or it’s probably time to think about whether he has a future here.

Sorensson can cover in a pinch.

If we really need more than two RBs in the Championship it’s probably time for someone to move on.

If Aaron’s doesn’t go I’d assume Mumba is loaned out.

If Aarons leaves i'd replace with a right back, Mumba back up, Byram centre back conversion with Zimmermann leaving. 

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Johnson was very limited and we were offered a big fee, it made perfect sense to move him on when we did.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Billing has always looked like a bit of a donkey to me. Probably a reason we did not go after him. Remember when he played against us in the cup and he was like bambi on ice

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We've got Sam Byram who has been injury prone for his entire career

I don't think it's correct to say he's been injury prone for his entire career.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If Aarons leaves i'd replace with a right back, Mumba back up, Byram centre back conversion with Zimmermann leaving. 

I'd keep Byram at right back, assuming no one leaves we have Omo and Hanley at centre back with Gibson and Zimmermann as capable backups.

Byram has been a top quality full-back. People forget how good he was at Leeds in the Championship. Not only was he a solid defender but he actually chipped in with goals as well. I'd go so far as to say Byram at Leeds was every bit as good as Aarons with us.

If, and it is a big if, Byram can stay fit, then we could field a back four of Gianoullis, Hanley, Omo, Byram. That's a fantastic defence for the Championship and it won't cost us a penny. And we have a half decent backup back four of McCallum, Gibson, Zimmermann, Mumba. Plus money from Aarons to invest elsewhere in the side.

Good question. I dont think our starting eleven needs extra additions for Championship, so maybe it really should be about planning for future. Someone who fights for place in starting eleven for now, but has potential to be good EPL player in near future.

I think we really could do with adding goals and creativity to midfield and wings. I know we have plenty of wingers, but they mostly seem like guys who lack vision and quality to get that final pass done. Maybe Rowe could grow to that during season though..

Box to box midfielder with high energy would be nice. However, McLean and PLM are pretty decent there on this level. Getting younger talent to challenge them with loan + purchase option could do well.

Maybe the vision and quality to provide chances for Pukki is the one I'd look for most. Either through improvement in winger department or addition of creative midfield. On the other hand, Dowell started to show glimpses of stepping up closer to end of the last season, so could it be his time? He is still pretty young and can have some unleashed potential for growth.