18. This is the number of championship clubs who have now managed to do more business than us in this transfer window. Which is to say we seem to be leaving it very late to bed in any new faces. 

Here is hoping this week brings a bit more activity. One senses that maybe we cannot get the money we want for those on our “for sale” list and that this leaves us bloated and forced to “go as we are” 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots

23. This is the number of championship clubs who have had to do more business than us in this transfer window because as it stands they arguably have weaker squads.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

The number of posters who will come back at you with the....

"look at every other clubs business though" 

"We have the best squad" 

"It's July" 

.... Comments 

😉🤣

As others have said, little point just making transfers for the sake of transfers. Getting better players in won’t be easy and the club have been incredibly honest and open about the need to sell to fund moves in. This shows we could probably afford some transfers of low quality, but would rather get enough cash to bring in proper talent. When clubs are interested in taking Placheta off our hands you know the level our competitors are aiming at is well below what we would like. To a great extent the market dictates the speed of movement, we could probably get loads of players in from league 2 that noone wants and cost nothing, but what the hell would be the point?

Edited by SwearyCanary

3 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The number of posters who will come back at you with the....

"look at every other clubs business though" 

"We have the best squad" 

"It's July" 

.... Comments 

😉🤣

Wonder what the ratio of those saying this vs those that agree with the OP will be by the end of the thread? 😉

Has to be the most pointless argument. We could have signed a load of free transfers like most of the division that wouldn't have strengthened us whatsoever, but at least a couple of posters on here couldn't claim we hadn't done any business.

Is there any signing so far in the window that a championship club has got their hands on that has a bigger CV and at their prime age like Hayden? 

Rupp and Drmic wages will pay for the loan fee and wages I'd imagine as both would have been on decent wages.

So all in all we have recruited a first teamer in and got rid of two senior fringe players. Great business so far imo, focusing on quality over quantity as we already have abundance of quality for the league within our ranks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

18. This is the number of championship clubs who have now managed to do more business than us in this transfer window. Which is to say we seem to be leaving it very late to bed in any new faces. 

Here is hoping this week brings a bit more activity. One senses that maybe we cannot get the money we want for those on our “for sale” list and that this leaves us bloated and forced to “go as we are” 

Considering you waxed lyrical about last year's transfer window and it turned out awful, I'm drawing some comfort at how critical you are of this one.

• Like 2

Key position sorted and the best bit was, no-one saw it coming. If we get a couple more top-tier signings (as in top of our wishlist) without being caught in public, protracted gibberish like the Ajer case last season, this will be very good indeed. Not to mention we'd hope the likes of PLM, Sargent, Rashica play better in a lower division after a year getting used to football here.

I'm hoping Idah and Omobamidele kick on as well, with a look at McCallum and Mumba.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone actually think our squad is anywhere near a good as last time we got relegated? I certainly don't...

8 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Does anyone actually think our squad is anywhere near a good as last time we got relegated? I certainly don't...

I certainly do, save one player, Buendia. 

Here's the 20/21 squad:

No. Pos. Nation Player
1 GK Netherlands NED Tim Krul
2 DF England ENG Max Aarons
3 DF England ENG Sam Byram
5 DF Scotland SCO Grant Hanley (captain)
6 DF Germany GER Christoph Zimmermann (4th captain)
7 MF Germany GER Lukas Rupp
8 MF Bosnia and Herzegovina BIH Mario Vrančić
9 FW England ENG Jordan Hugill
10 MF England ENG Kieran Dowell
11 MF Poland POL Przemysław Płacheta
12 GK Norway NOR Ørjan Nyland
14 MF England ENG Todd Cantwell
16 DF Spain ESP Xavi Quintillà (on loan from Villarreal)
17 MF Argentina ARG Emiliano Buendía
18 MF Germany GER Marco Stiepermann

No. Pos. Nation Player
19 MF Denmark DEN Jacob Sørensen
20 MF England ENG Oliver Skipp (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur)
22 FW Finland FIN Teemu Pukki
23 MF Scotland SCO Kenny McLean
24 MF England ENG Josh Martin
25 MF Cuba CUB Onel Hernández
26 DF England ENG Bali Mumba
27 MF Norway NOR Alexander Tettey (vice-captain)
30 DF Greece GRE Dimitris Giannoulis (on loan from PAOK)
33 GK Northern Ireland NIR Michael McGovern
34 DF England ENG Ben Gibson (on loan from Burnley)
35 FW Republic of Ireland IRL Adam Idah
38 GK England ENG Aston Oxborough
MF Germany GER Moritz Leitner
FW United States USA Sebastian Soto

Edited by horsefly

18 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Considering you waxed lyrical about last year's transfer window and it turned out awful, I'm drawing some comfort at how critical you are of this one.

I do not wax lyrical. I made one positive post after Kabak signed - but spent almost the entire summer lamenting the inability to sign a replacement for skipp and criticising the decision to sell Buendia. I was told I was too negative, that the board knew what they were doing. And was later proved right. But don’t let facts get in the way of the rhetoric 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

The clappers don’t like to admit the squad quality has deteriorated despite a huge spend. Just as they don’t like to admit the lack of funding is holding us back, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

A majority of the signings made across the league wouldn't have improved our squad.

That doesn’t mean we don’t need to sign players who improve ours. Last season showed a chronic mental weakness in the squad and a lack of fight when a goal down- if that doesn’t change and we have a rocky start that could prove a real weakness again. And if we lose parachute payments this club is heading only one way without a takeover. We need a couple more significant improvements 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That doesn’t mean we don’t need to sign players who improve ours. Last season showed a chronic mental weakness in the squad and a lack of fight when a goal down- if that doesn’t change and we have a rocky start that could prove a real weakness again. And if we lose parachute payments this club is heading only one way without a takeover. We need a couple more significant improvements 

It might not mean that we don't need to sign players, but it does make them a totally pointless comparison as they are signings from a pool that we are not interested in and doesn't show that the players we need to sign are being signed or are even available yet. 

• Like 1

So the general opinion is our squad is more than good enough for the Championship so I take that means win promotion.

Time will tell if Smith is good enough to achieve that. With that squad he is going to hit the ground running. Over to you Deano.

I thought the OP had done one of those online "check your own IQ" tests 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Absolutely not, the gaping Emi hole is still there, I don't care what people say, he dragged us up last time. Without his supply pukki does not hit 20+ goals then and won't now, he'll get a decent amount but less then the last 2 times. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I agree that the mentality of the squad is one of the main things that needs to change but I don't think flipping that is as simple as replacing players.  I think that's about building resilience over a longer period of time. As we learned last time down and up the mental block was more of a premier league issue, when our squad is out of it's depth.

There will obviously be changes but the reality is transfers sometimes take a while. Our squad is relatively strong compared to the rest of the league so we don't need to force things.

13 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We need a couple more significant improvements 

The OP is complaining that they've signed more players than us and then you've switched to we need a couple more.

Last summer taught us that quantity over quality was a bad choice, so which is it, not fair they've signed more than us or we need a couple of improvements?

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Absolutely not, the gaping Emi hole is still there, I don't care what people say, he dragged us up last time. Without his supply pukki does not hit 20+ goals then and won't now, he'll get a decent about but less then the last 2 times. 

Without his supply he scored the same amount of premier league goals as he did 2 years prior. 

I'm not saying we don't need another creative player but I wouldn't write Pukki off. 

• Like 1

80/20 (The Pareto Principle)

If all our resources this season are being put into the 2-3 absolute quality additions we need in key positions, I'm good with it.

Hayden benefits the entire team by his presence. One or two more like that and I'd be very confident 

I would have thought He'd have gotten more than he did the first prem season without the injury and the covid break, he scored the same amount yes, but over a full season, not a stop start season that was decimated by other circumstances. 

I'm not writing pukki off by the way (I said he'll still score a decent amount) just not 20+ unless he gets some decent supply lines and I don't think we have that in good enough quality as of yet!

31 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The clappers don’t like to admit the squad quality has deteriorated despite a huge spend. Just as they don’t like to admit the lack of funding is holding us back, 

I've posted the 20/21 squad above. Perhaps you would like to explain how the current squad quality has "deteriorated". Buendia has (unsurprisingly given his £40m price tag) proved irreplaceable, but apart from him I simply can't see how you can make good your claim.

BTW no one denies that lack of funding holds us back. What some of us dispute is that there is any obvious way of improving that funding situation without risking the club's financial security (sans the emergence of a beneficent billionaire).

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I would have thought He'd have gotten more than he did the first prem season without the injury and the covid break, he scored the same amount yes, but over a full season, not a stop start season that was decimated by other circumstances. 

I'm not writing pukki off by the way (I said he'll still score a decent amount) just not 20+ unless he gets some decent supply lines and I don't think we have that in good enough quality as of yet!

I hadn't considered the toe injury but I would still counter it with the fact that we actually tried to score goals that season. We were far more turgid last year.

I'd also add that there wasn't a creative player of the calibre of Emi in the Championship last season and multiple players hit 20+ goals. Most of them were inferior to players to Pukki too.