Gerry Harrison

SSV Jahn Regensburg Friendly

Anyone else heading to Germany for the game against SSV Jahn Regensburg in Grassau? Would be interested in hearing from any fellow Canaries who would be interested in sharing a taxi from the nearest train station in Übersee.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Gerry Harrison said:

Anyone else heading to Germany for the game against SSV Jahn Regensburg in Grassau? Would be interested in hearing from any fellow Canaries who would be interested in sharing a taxi from the nearest train station in Übersee.

Commitment points 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerry Harrison said:

You should be able to get a bus

Just had a quick look and found this, that said it looks like it's only a three-mile walk or so. As for the bus, you'd need the Übersee Bahnhof stop and get off at Grassau Golf Resort Achental as that looks like it is pretty much next door. 

achentallinie-fahrplan-2019.pdf

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just had a quick look and found this, that said it looks like it's only a three-mile walk or so. As for the bus, you'd need the Übersee Bahnhof stop and get off at Grassau Golf Resort Achental as that looks like it is pretty much next door. 

achentallinie-fahrplan-2019.pdf

Can’t get that to open. However agree approx 1 hour walk 

Thanks for the replies, I've looked at the bus, and there's one at 12.05 that will get me there in plenty of time. Sadly my knees aren't up for an hour's walk anymore! 

Overseas pre-season games or friendlies are for the committed only so 'chapeau' to anyone who's going. When I lived in the UK they formed part of my summer holiday.

24 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Overseas pre-season games or friendlies are for the committed only so 'chapeau' to anyone who's going. When I lived in the UK they formed part of my summer holiday.

I have a very vague and blury memory of being very young and my granddad going on holiday with me and my family and taking me to a pre season match that was in that country.

No clue where it was though, would have been late 90's. Somewhere around Germany. Or maybe Belgium. 

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Repect to anyone that flies to Germany for a friendly

Respect to anyone who goes to Germany for a friendly but doesn't fly unless they are a bird.

6 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Gerry, don’t mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it 😀

That reminds me of a really undiplomatic comment I let fly with when visiting Dresden in 2002. Was seeing a friend and she'd brought another guy along, and we were having a nice, leisurely walk around Dresden's Altstadt (old city). Back in 2002 there was a LOT of restoration work going on with 4 years before the 750th anniversary celebrations of Dresden becoming a settlement.

We wandered into the famous Frauenkirche, and a presentation describing the history of the church was taking place every couple of hours or so, and at the end donations were collected towards the renovation. Ronny, the guy my old friend Beate brought along, said in German that we were considerably younger than the rest of the audience (we were all in our early 20s, everyone else seemed to be 40s and up). And I said in German that "we're the only ones who weren't even randy afterthoughts when my countryfolk flattened the gaff!"

I got a sharp rejoinder from Beate on that one, she openly said this was one occasion she regretted my excellent command of the German language....

• Haha 2

On 03/07/2022 at 18:05, TheGunnShow said:

I got a sharp rejoinder from Beate on that one, she openly said this was one occasion she regretted my excellent command of the German language....

Did you ever get the opportunity to speak with the German contingent under Farke?

7 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Did you ever get the opportunity to speak with the German contingent under Farke?

Nope (I live at the wrong end of the country for starters, really).