king canary

The worst news if true...

I wouldn't grudge him a move - playing up top on your own while we hoof it at his head can't get him particularly excited. The style of football must be a factor for him under Smith.

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Oh dear, oh dear I seem to have upset a few posters on here by having the temerity to suggest that Norfolk isn't a mythic Eldorado for millionaire footballers of European extraction. Norwich, and Norfolk, has many attractions and the City can be said to punch above its weight in cultural terms. But that weight is of a remote, medium size provincial town. But that is to miss the point. The idea that Pukki's kids being happy in school is somehow going to have more sway than several hundred thousands of pounds and the opportunity to reside elsewhere that could posibly equal or, heaven forbid, exceed the opportunities of the Fine City is frankly foolish.

Do you have a partner and children? If you think their happiness isn’t a big factor in decisions like this then you are being naïve. Paul Merson had to move to Middlesbrough on his own as his wife and kids were settled in St Albans. I asked what age his kids were because if they are happy It is a factor. If we offer 50k and someone in France offers 70k, it’s not a big enough difference (especially with tax differences) to rip your family from a life they are happy living.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I wouldn't grudge him a move - playing up top on your own while we hoof it at his head can't get him particularly excited. The style of football must be a factor for him under Smith.

Smith doesn’t play 4-4-2 hoof ball. This myth needs to stop. I understand it was pretty basic last season but it was a completely broken squad incapable of anything else.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Do you have a partner and children? If you think their happiness isn’t a big factor in decisions like this then you are being naïve. Paul Merson had to move to Middlesbrough on his own as his wife and kids were settled in St Albans. I asked what age his kids were because if they are happy It is a factor. If we offer 50k and someone in France offers 70k, it’s not a big enough difference (especially with tax differences) to rip your family from a life they are happy living.

Loads of people move for work and being a footballer is a pretty peripatetic life. Both of Teemu's kids are pre-school and he didn't want to come here in the first place so you are clutching at straws. You also miss the point that it is not about a few grand on his weekly wage, it is about contract length so the difference is £million+ or so.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

Loads of people move for work and being a footballer is a pretty peripatetic life. Both of Teemu's kids are pre-school and he didn't want to come here in the first place so you are clutching at straws. You also miss the point that it is not about a few grand on his weekly wage, it is about contract length so the difference is £million+ or so.

I'm not missing a point, I asked a question. Loads of people move for work and loads of people (like myself) have had offers and turned them down for the good of the family unit. Not just myself, loads of friends and family have. This blinkered idea that all players think the same is ridiculous. The most famous one in the Premiership was David Unsworth, who had to move clubs again within months because of family.

When you say he didn't want to come here in the first place, what are you basing that on?

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

When you say he didn't want to come here in the first place, what are you basing that on?

An interview with his partner. She said when the move was first suggested his initial reaction was no but she said he should have a re-think about it.

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

An interview with his partner. She said when the move was first suggested his initial reaction was no but she said he should have a re-think about it.

That is very different to him not wanting to come. The fact that SHE suggested he rethink and he did only strengthens the idea that the family has a big impact on the decision.