king canary

The worst news if true...

24 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

No good asking Webber, he’s probably still at base camp

What do you mean base camp? Where's Webber then, isn't he at work?. Was gorn on?

14 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

What do you mean base camp? Where's Webber then, isn't he at work?. Was gorn on?

Trying to kill himself at high altitudes.

12 minutes ago, shruk4 said:

Trying to kill himself at high altitudes.

I thought the Ecuadorian adventure this month was cancelled due to snow?  

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I thought the Ecuadorian adventure this month was cancelled due to snow?  

I dont know, dont really care. Hope he ends up staying on one of the mountain tops forever.

• Confused 1

I don’t think there was ever anything much in this - an agent talking himself/his charge up to the media…it’s hardly even newsworthy in other circumstances.  That he still wants to play at a high level is surely good for us as it suggests he’ll be motivated next season to help see us to promotion. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

On 28/06/2022 at 10:46, Tetteys Jig said:

To be fair, I don’t blame him. If he can get an offer from a side in Europe then surely you take it.

After watching him last season spending the majority of the season chasing lost causes who can blame him

On 28/06/2022 at 13:10, PurpleCanary said:

He will not be leaving this summer. £50 to the PUPs if I am wrong.

Sorry nutty!

51 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think there was ever anything much in this - an agent talking himself/his charge up to the media…it’s hardly even newsworthy in other circumstances.  That he still wants to play at a high level is surely good for us as it suggests he’ll be motivated next season to help see us to promotion. 

I think more a case of clubs possibly having made noises and this being a "make your move or forget it" shout.

I did wonder if this could be about new contract discussions too though the reporter said this wasn't discussed.

55 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think Pukki’s agent was completely honest and open really, everything he said made sense.

He even admitted it’s not in Norwich’s interests to let him go and reiterated Pukki will honour his contract.

That doesn’t mean Pukki doesn’t want to play at the highest level, that he wouldn’t take a move if Norwich let him or that he’s going to be here after this year.

It never made any sense for Norwich to let him go, but I can’t be the only one concerned about him walking next summer which seems incredibly likely as things stand.

53 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Things you love to hear.

Say it gets to deadline day and Newcastle haven’t scored a goal yet and sit in the bottom 3… they could easily pop by with £20m right?

3 hours ago, daly said:

After watching him last season spending the majority of the season chasing lost causes who can blame him

Just described 95% of his career with us 

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Say it gets to deadline day and Newcastle haven’t scored a goal yet and sit in the bottom 3… they could easily pop by with £20m right?

It would be turned down, and not just because we wouldn't have time to spend the £20m.

9 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

This doesn't mean very much unless he has been given a categorical promise by Webber that Pukki will not be sold. And, if so, this suggests that the club is not being straightforward with Pukki. Or perhaps everyone is just being told what they want to hear, including the fans.

If he's still here on 2 September, or if Pukki signs a new, longer contract before then, we can all relax. Not until.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

It would be turned down, and not just because we wouldn't have time to spend the £20m.

Absolutely zero chance of us turning down £20M for him even on deadline day!

Newcastle aren't going to offer £20m for Pukki. That may have been a last season type signing for them, but they'll set their sights higher.

It's a hands off you're going to have to pay through the nose message. 

You can never say for certain I am sure if someone comes in a offers more than Webber thinks he is worth they will sell him 

to good a offer to refuse I have signed a young Greek forward who could be best in world but will be for league one not ready for championship 

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

This doesn't mean very much unless he has been given a categorical promise by Webber that Pukki will not be sold. And, if so, this suggests that the club is not being straightforward with Pukki. Or perhaps everyone is just being told what they want to hear, including the fans.

If he's still here on 2 September, or if Pukki signs a new, longer contract before then, we can all relax. Not until.

He will be here. 

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

How is the club not being straightforward with Pukki? 

Reports are Pukki’s camp has let the club know his desire to move. We don’t know the clubs response to Pukki, but there definitely hasn’t been any noises they are considering it.

Only official comment I’m aware of has been from Smith and he’s previously said he expects him to be here and now is saying he will be.

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Absolutely zero chance of us turning down £20M for him even on deadline day!

Yea in this scenario if he hasn’t signed a new contract I’d agree, that’s genuine replacement money for someone walking in a free on a year.

Edited by Monty13

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

How is the club not being straightforward with Pukki? 

Reports are Pukki’s camp has let the club know his desire to move. We don’t know the clubs response to Pukki, but there definitely hasn’t been any noises they are considering it.

Only official comment I’m aware of has been from Smith and he’s previously said he expects him to be here and now is saying he will be.

My reasoning is that IF the club are telling Smith that Pukki is 100% guaranteed to be here next season, then logically they cannot be considering offers for Pukki, and yet the comments from his agent and the Finnish journalist lead us to believe that this is not what has been said to them. Admittedly, those comments are a few days' old now, so further conversations may have taken place and Pukki has recognised that the club will not sell and has agreed to stay.

Pukki is a different sort of person from Emi, or (a lot of) others. He won't kick up a fuss whatever the situation. His agent emphasised that he would always honour his contract.

This means that any departure would be at the behest of the club. Webber is not that daft and needs to get the fans back on his side rather than create even more friction. Besides, the retention of TP will be the single most decisive factor for our success this coming season. That success means another a promotion worth a lot more than £20m.

Rejecting a big sum would be a gamble, of course, but the self-sustaining model does actually need a risk to be taken occasionally in order to survive. It has a fragile existence in a business awash with competitors who have more readily attained big money.

25 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

My reasoning is that IF the club are telling Smith that Pukki is 100% guaranteed to be here next season, then logically they cannot be considering offers for Pukki, and yet the comments from his agent and the Finnish journalist lead us to believe that this is not what has been said to them. Admittedly, those comments are a few days' old now, so further conversations may have taken place and Pukki has recognised that the club will not sell and has agreed to stay.

Reading all the quotes I think everyone’s position is clear. Pukki wants to move, clubs are interested but no one is willing to pay an amount that Norwich would want because he’s 32 with 1 year left on his contract. So he’s staying.

Edited by Monty13
Spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Reading all the quotes I think everyone’s position is clear. Pukki wants to move, clubs are interested but no one is willing to pay a an amount that Norwich would want because he’s 32 with 1 year left on his contract. So he’s staying.

Also that Pukki isn't so desperate to move that he's going to try and force his way out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Reading all the quotes I think everyone’s position is clear. Pukki wants to move, clubs are interested but no one is willing to pay an amount that Norwich would want because he’s 32 with 1 year left on his contract. So he’s staying.

I sort of heard that slightly differently in that, the agent didn't say he thought Norwich were asking too much for Pukki, just that other clubs clearly valued him at less. 

So this to me sounded much more like a, "my man is worth the money, so if you want him, he'll come if you stump up the cash". 

I think folks have been fairly fair with the sort of valuation they think Norwich would take for him. £6-8m probably, realistically we still couldn't replace a repeat of previous seasons delivery at this level for that unless we unearthed another bargain as we did with Pukki in the first place.

Clubs will probably baulk at that, but then the clubs that are baulking at that are likely to be non top half prem sides, and more the likes of those teams just promoted or staving off a relegation battle, or abroad and possibly with less money to throw about.

Doesn't sound so great when you consider, as an agent, you have your star man and no one is willing to match a reasonable valuation for them does it?

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

I sort of heard that slightly differently in that, the agent didn't say he thought Norwich were asking too much for Pukki, just that other clubs clearly valued him at less. 

So this to me sounded much more like a, "my man is worth the money, so if you want him, he'll come if you stump up the cash". 

I think folks have been fairly fair with the sort of valuation they think Norwich would take for him. £6-8m probably, realistically we still couldn't replace a repeat of previous seasons delivery at this level for that unless we unearthed another bargain as we did with Pukki in the first place.

Clubs will probably baulk at that, but then the clubs that are baulking at that are likely to be non top half prem sides, and more the likes of those teams just promoted or staving off a relegation battle, or abroad and possibly with less money to throw about.

Doesn't sound so great when you consider, as an agent, you have your star man and no one is willing to match a reasonable valuation for them does it?

6/8 Million is dirt cheap for most PL sides  though for someone who will score 10 PL goals given the chance maybe more in a side that will create chances 

if i was Newcastle yes they might buy someone for 30/40 million but what a great player in Pukki to have as back up 

also Newcastle or a team might not be able to get their target this season so Pukki would be a cheap PL Striker for a year we all know he can score at that level 

i still think there is a chance he might go 

Just now, norfolkngood said:

6/8 Million is dirt cheap for most PL sides  though for someone who will score 10 PL goals given the chance maybe more in a side that will create chances 

if i was Newcastle yes they might buy someone for 30/40 million but what a great player in Pukki to have as back up 

also Newcastle or a team might not be able to get their target this season so Pukki would be a cheap PL Striker for a year we all know he can score at that level 

i still think there is a chance he might go 

I agree. Smith saying it is great... but we won't know for sure yet, unless he has committed to a new contract. Which if it was the case, why hasn't it been announced?

I believe someone said Paddy had shared that a number of contracts had been signed, just not made public yet. At this point, I'm not sure why this hasn't been made more public yet?