king canary

The worst news if true...

I genuinely believe that with Webber at the helm, we would sell Pukki for less than 7 to 8m so that he can play some more real life football manager. 

God, I hope I'm wrong!! We need someone to come in for Raschica or Aarons to prevent him selling Pukki I think. Unfortunately, I don't think Aarons is much desired this summer with plenty of other cheaper RB alternatives being discussed for big transfers  

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Honestly can't see why the club would agree to let him go.

Because he's been a great servant for us, owes us nothing and we are looking to progress the team around Dean Smith's requirements?  Not to mention that we get a fee for him this season. 

Personally, I can't see why an earth he'd want to stay and do this merry go round a third time.  He deserves to be playing at a higher level, club can't be promoting mental health and then holding a player against his will restricting a once in a lifetime chance to play high level European football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Because he's been a great servant for us, owes us nothing and we are looking to progress the team around Dean Smith's requirements?  Not to mention that we get a fee for him this season. 

He owes us nothing but equally we don't owe him a move. I just don't see a situation where a team gives us enough money to make it worthwhile to us. 

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

club can't be promoting mental health and then holding a player against his will restricting a once in a lifetime chance to play high level European football.

Lolz.

Can't begrudge him. If he's not been the best free signing in our history, then he's been incredibly close to it. Could get a bit of a bidding war for him as well, I'm sure a fair few Premier League sides would be interested in having a player like him in their ranks considering his goals for us in the top flight with relatively weak teams behind them.

I'd absolutely hate to see him go, but he'd definitely get my best wishes if he did.

• Like 9

I guess all players have a price - we have been told this forever.  I’m not sure that ‘high level European’ sides would be after him, but I guess we’ll see.

Not worth keeping someone at the club who doesn't want to be here.
Im more worried about Webber being up a mountain, he should be on the phone sorting out every little part of a deal. Season starts in a month and all we have to show for it is  Newcastle reject. 

• Like 1

I think any professional football player would want to always aim to play at the highest level they can so I do not begrudge him wanting that at all. We brought him in for nothing he’s fired us to the premier league twice and if we do sell for 7-8 million we’ve made that out of thin air. What ever he chooses he’s earned that right in my opinion. Will always be a club legend. 

• Like 1

It will be an absolute disaster for us if he goes. A guaranteed 20 goals in a Championship season costs well over £20 million. We'll be lucky to get a third of that for him.

I can understand his viewpoint, time ticking on his career, his experience of football under Smith is absolutely dire and he probably has concerns that it won't get much better in the Championship. I hope his alleged desire to want out is purely down to wanting one last go at a top league before retirement as opposed to a fear of what lies ahead playing under Smith's Norwich.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I guess all players have a price - we have been told this forever.  I’m not sure that ‘high level European’ sides would be after him, but I guess we’ll see.

The price for a player who wants to leave with only a year left on his contract and at his age is probably not as high as most people would want it to be sadly. 

• Like 1

Norwich have shown twice that when they go up, Pukki isn't supported to a level he deserves. It would be the same again. 

I really want him to stay, but nobody could begrudge him a transfer? 

• Like 1

Suspect we desperately need to shift high wage earners off the payroll. Certainly will make tier 2 survival much more challenging. Only new investment can break our cycle of failure.

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn’t blame him either. It must be so disheartening running yourself into the ground and feeding on scraps every game. 

• Like 3

****. The source and quotes makes me think this could well be real.

If he doesn't want to stay and a decent bid comes in, I think we owe it to him to allow him to move on.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

To be honest playing Pukki at EPL level has been a problem for us.

Undoubted goals in him which is why he isn't ever left out but i think its to the detriment of the whole team then.

He owes us not a lot, has been an exemplary professional and IF he does go, he goes with my thanks.

Edited by duke63

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

He owes us nothing but equally we don't owe him a move. I just don't see a situation where a team gives us enough money to make it worthwhile to us. 

If we're to promote mental health, then yes we do owe him a move if the alternative is holding him against his will and restricting his personal ambitions.  It's possible to have empathy with your staff in business.

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If we're to promote mental health, then yes we do owe him a move if the alternative is holding him against his will and restricting his personal ambitions.  It's possible to have empathy with your staff in business.

I'll give you this, you're consistently able to deliver the most scorching of hot takes, logic be damned.

• Haha 2

This would be an absolute disaster. His movement, work rate, positioning and finishing would be incredibly difficult to replace. Even with only a year left on his contract and at 32 years old, we should be holding out for £10m if he does want to go. Top-flight goals cost top money.

• Like 1

Said last season same this season the smoke signals for this window are a disaster, we haven’t learned anything

webber out Cullen in 

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If he does to wonder if we will try Sargent at striker? Him up and Idah up top in a two could be.. fun

This was always going to happen imo - Idah and Sargent chould be awesome if they both find their best form. Would still prefer Pukki to stay though. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'll give you this, you're consistently able to deliver the most scorching of hot takes, logic be damned.

It's only a "hot take" if you need reminding that people have feelings via a Stephen Fry monologue. 

I said the same thing months back:

Unlike yourself I believe the club has morals and it's not all about money.  He's been a great servant and if the opportunity came they would not stand in his way.

14 minutes ago, komakino said:

Norwich have shown twice that when they go up, Pukki isn't supported to a level he deserves. It would be the same again. 

I really want him to stay, but nobody could begrudge him a transfer? 

Correct. Pukki must feel bitterly let down by the events of last season when the arrogant Webber made public comments about 'lessons having been learned' and Farke having 'all the ammunition he needs' etc. That said the God Farke must bear a significant chunk of blame for repeatedly putting all our strikers eggs in the basket labelled 'Pukki'. No attempt was made to meaningfully provide real competition/ future planning.   

It would be a shame if he left, best player in last few seasons. will miss his goals but can fully understand his situation. We as a Club haven't given him supportive players after Emi left. Always works his socks off shame about many others.

Deserves a final glory to his playing days and I wish him all the best and thanks for the memories. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Suspect we desperately need to shift high wage earners off the payroll. Certainly will make tier 2 survival much more challenging. Only new investment can break our cycle of failure.

I hope that isn’t true- he is worth every penny of the wages he is paid