Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Do Delia and Webber not trust Smith with a squad rebuild?

Now don't get me wrong I wish to start this by saying I have no doubt with the squad and players we have right now we should no real problems finishing in the top six.

The issue however is that when Smith came in myself and many others at the time said we were looking forward to seeing how a Smith team would shape up and who he bring in, given most players here are Farkes players and all.

Nevermind one of the biggest issues- Deadwood. We have a LOT of deadwood players in the squad right now. Sure, most of them have got us promoted before and so are good enough for the Championship but at the same time.. If we go up will they stick around? Third times the charm? Beacause that would be a massive pisstake. The players that have already got us relegated twice and finished rock bottom twice and broke all sorts of awful poor historical records and played some of the worst football I have seen from this club are the ones being trusted to get us up and keep us up? Come on, is that a joke? 

Wheres the sales? Where are the new players? Are you really telling me we are only a few days away from pre season starting and the only player we have brought in is a loanee who might not even be here at the end of the season? Is Webber trying to mock us? 

Does he just not trust Smith with a rebuild? Whats the issue? Is there something going on behind the scenes we don't know about?

.... And now I've posted this just wait for the club to announce ten new signings 😂

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

awaiting eagerly and really hope something good will happen. Not holding my breath though.

awaiting to be presently surprised.

Seriously what is in the water at the moment?

Nobody suggested there was going to be a squad rebuild. In fact that noise coming from the club has been the opposite. We've addressed our ibggest glaring weakness and we're yet to sell anyone.

How is this that hard to understand?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Seriously what is in the water at the moment?

Nobody suggested there was going to be a squad rebuild. In fact that noise coming from the club has been the opposite. We've addressed our ibggest glaring weakness and we're yet to sell anyone.

How is this that hard to understand?

I literally gave up with Twitter, with fans demanding to see that we were 'at least linked with players so we could get excited' as if the transfer window should be on par with a cinema visit. Entertainment only.

Then Cambridge is on here repeating it ad nauseum. It's to that point it's actually painful.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Maybe he's finally run out of ideas for threads and this is the result?

It's not stopped him in his last 2938792839 attempts.

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's not stopped him in his last 2938792839 attempts.

Your obsession is sweet, but I'm not interested.. Unless it's Itallian and candlelit.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Your obsession is sweet, but I'm not interested.. Unless it's Itallian and candlelit.

This is your problem. Well, one of many. I've generally speaking defended you and your inane posting as I don't think you deserve personally attacking for it but when you combine it with what you post being incredibly f*cking stupid then there is no defence.

No one is obessed with you.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is your problem. Well, one of many. I've generally speaking defended you and your inane posting as I don't think you deserve personally attacking for it but when you combine it with what you post being incredibly f*cking stupid then there is no defence.

No one is obessed with you.

... Would you settle for a Chinese then?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Get out more Cambridgeshire, it’s summertime. Do some pubbing and clubbing, empty your pipe perhaps too. It beats living on here. 

But it's raining 😪

CC I think you've answered your question/addressed your concern in your first paragraph. The squad is inherently good enough to achieve top 6 and even automatic promotion so arguably the squad doesn't need strengthening.

Unfortunately we also know that never in a million years is that squad good enough to survive in the Premier League. To be fair to the club it's very difficult to attract EPL standard players whilst in the Championship.

The **** might hit the fan a bit if we get last minute offers for Pukki, Rashica and Aarons and have no time to replace them.

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A Roman Candle up the bottom maybe? Whatever floats your boat ...

49 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Now don't get me wrong I wish to start this by saying I have no doubt with the squad and players we have right now we should no real problems finishing in the top six.

The issue however is that when Smith came in myself and many others at the time said we were looking forward to seeing how a Smith team would shape up and who he bring in, given most players here are Farkes players and all.

Nevermind one of the biggest issues- Deadwood. We have a LOT of deadwood players in the squad right now. Sure, most of them have got us promoted before and so are good enough for the Championship but at the same time.. If we go up will they stick around? Third times the charm? Beacause that would be a massive pisstake. The players that have already got us relegated twice and finished rock bottom twice and broke all sorts of awful poor historical records and played some of the worst football I have seen from this club are the ones being trusted to get us up and keep us up? Come on, is that a joke? 

Wheres the sales? Where are the new players? Are you really telling me we are only a few days away from pre season starting and the only player we have brought in is a loanee who might not even be here at the end of the season? Is Webber trying to mock us? 

Does he just not trust Smith with a rebuild? Whats the issue? Is there something going on behind the scenes we don't know about?

.... And now I've posted this just wait for the club to announce ten new signings 😂

Do you honestly think Delia gets involved in players recruitment, she's over 80, bless her.

Get a hobby , sitting on here 24/7 and staring dozens of silly threads every day can't be good for you or us, that's meant nicely 

• Haha 1

I'm sure I heard we essentially have to sell before we can buy. That's your key reason why, if it's true. At the same time, I will always say we can't afford to cut the numbers too severely as this season will be unusually congested even by Championship standards.

We've got the biggest hole resolved by getting a proper defensive midfielder in. 

Also, I think people forget that as a club that regained its youth development mojo under Farke, we should, by definition, be looking at the youth team and seeing which youngsters are likely to be able to make something of an impact with us.

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I literally gave up with Twitter, with fans demanding to see that we were 'at least linked with players so we could get excited' as if the transfer window should be on par with a cinema visit. Entertainment only.

Then Cambridge is on here repeating it ad nauseum. It's to that point it's actually painful.

I think we can blame SSN / Talksh!te / all the garbage Twitter accounts for that. They wind people up with their constant speculation.

I reckon seeing how the land lies in nine weeks and two days time might be the best idea.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

There's a guy who sits near me at the ground and his favourite saying is "what kind of stupid are you", pretty relevant right now.

Had a feeling you would show up

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

CC, you may be trolling, but my explanation on this in the transfer window thread is reproduced below.  It is not that our owners don't trust Smith as such, more that they are averse to borrowing cash in any form!  Does Deano need to push them more, rather than accept the limitations on borrowing?

The club's finance team are really on top of cashflow mapping out precisely how much free cash is available at any point in time (the one thing our club is currently top of the league on I would suggest).  Key however is the owners are reluctant to borrow to finance anything really (be it operating, net player transfer or fixed asset expenditure). Parachute payments will eventually be paid over but they are paid in three stages with the first of those not arriving until after the window closes.  Our owners have also decided borrowing in lieu of the receipt of the parachute cash is a strategy they do not want to pursue. 

So under this policy we have to sell first to finance any new incoming, or at least match the cash flow terms of any incoming to an outgoing player deal.  I think this is why certain deals we have heard about in the past have not gone ahead, and I suspect that is the case in point at the moment.  It wouldn't surprise me if Twine is a current example of this where we may have had an agreement in place, but Burnley gazumped us because their owners are more prepared to finance the acquisition through borrowing.    

So I get that a lot on here think we have sufficient assets on paper when looking at our balance sheet to start buying immediately.  The problem being those assets are not particularly liquid, despite a few members of the squad that Smith has identified can leave.  The trouble is that his fellow managers have to disagree with him to solve this riddle and think those players are worth buying. Indeed even more frustratingly any manager who wants to buy one of our earmarked for sale players is more likely to face their own cashflow conundrum as well. 

So, as others have pointed out there is a lot going on at the moment, several players lined up to come and several of our players set to leave.  But cashflow has to be right on both parties to make them happen.

Of course, our owners could sanction the club taking on new borrowing facilities secured on the parachute payments, then we could break that log jam. In absence of this we have to wait for a few EPL clubs to splash out on lower league players first to start injection new cash into the system.  However historically this tends to happen after they have finished the deals with overseas players so is at the back end of the window.

We live on our nerves until then.....

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

CC, you may be trolling, but my explanation on this in the transfer window thread is reproduced below.  It is not that our owners don't trust Smith as such, more that they are averse to borrowing cash in any form!  Does Deano need to push them more, rather than accept the limitations on borrowing?

The club's finance team are really on top of cashflow mapping out precisely how much free cash is available at any point in time (the one thing our club is currently top of the league on I would suggest).  Key however is the owners are reluctant to borrow to finance anything really (be it operating, net player transfer or fixed asset expenditure). Parachute payments will eventually be paid over but they are paid in three stages with the first of those not arriving until after the window closes.  Our owners have also decided borrowing in lieu of the receipt of the parachute cash is a strategy they do not want to pursue. 

So under this policy we have to sell first to finance any new incoming, or at least match the cash flow terms of any incoming to an outgoing player deal.  I think this is why certain deals we have heard about in the past have not gone ahead, and I suspect that is the case in point at the moment.  It wouldn't surprise me if Twine is a current example of this where we may have had an agreement in place, but Burnley gazumped us because their owners are more prepared to finance the acquisition through borrowing.    

So I get that a lot on here think we have sufficient assets on paper when looking at our balance sheet to start buying immediately.  The problem being those assets are not particularly liquid, despite a few members of the squad that Smith has identified can leave.  The trouble is that his fellow managers have to disagree with him to solve this riddle and think those players are worth buying. Indeed even more frustratingly any manager who wants to buy one of our earmarked for sale players is more likely to face their own cashflow conundrum as well. 

So, as others have pointed out there is a lot going on at the moment, several players lined up to come and several of our players set to leave.  But cashflow has to be right on both parties to make them happen.

Of course, our owners could sanction the club taking on new borrowing facilities secured on the parachute payments, then we could break that log jam. In absence of this we have to wait for a few EPL clubs to splash out on lower league players first to start injection new cash into the system.  However historically this tends to happen after they have finished the deals with overseas players so is at the back end of the window.

We live on our nerves until then.....

I don't doubt you are right Shef but it's frustrating we're not prepared to trade on a £4m player whether it be Twine or anyone else, against those parachute payments.

It feels we are worse off after a season in the  EPL. 

The squad is good and deep for this level and we’ve added experience in Isaac Hayden 

look at it this way what have we lost from our previous championship campaign? skipp and Buendia? well they’ve been replaced with Hayden and Rashica 

we’ll be fine 

CC, I am no fan of Dean Smith, as my posts on here make clear. But I think it's total nonsense to suggest that Webber doesn't trust him. If anything, and I know this is controversial, I get the opposite feeling - that Webber has lost interest in his toy other than his pay cheque and is quite happy to let Smith make all the recruitment decisions.

2 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

God forbid Hayden gets injured early on, what is plan B?

Would suggest another Olly skipp type loan 

To be honest if i was Delia i do not know who i would trust !

Webber last seasons window was terrible ,

the players signed did not play well

the Loans did not work out 

the players signed to gain any profit will be very hard ,

Dean Smith appears to have his feet on the ground in concentrating on players who are likely to add value to the first team.

The others probably have their heads stuck in the clouds still dreaming that they can make fat profits out of young players whereas in reality the show is over..