Is he really better than Dimi at this level? I'd say not really. If Dimi is staying we're more than fine in that area

Edited by AJ

100% would love him here, but that's lower prem league money and we have Dimi so would have to be a no.  Too much money for a filled position.

Was one of the most committed players last season, In hindsight would've put a better shift in than Gilmour at defensive mid.

Neville wasn't the greatest of players, and Williams has that same tenacity and desire to win.  You'd think they'd be wanting to bring that bite back to the team with a local lad like him, really.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Lots of energy but nothing special.

Was pretty special when he stole the ball vs Everton, ran half the length of the field and thread perfect ball to Idah who tucked it home.

• Like 2

Nope. If Dimi's here, play him. If McCallum is looking decent, he's the back-up. If one of those two isn't quite right, Lungi's there, or indeed Byram, or indeed probably even Mumba.

I enjoyed his obvious tenacity and willingness to compete for a loan club, but he's not a future building block for us. Keep Dimi onside, and spend that money on another midfielder.

If we're suddenly able to spend £10m on a single player I hope it isn't on a right footed left back who was, at best, alright last season.

• Like 4

Sure he will have a Premier League career but it's hardly a problem position for us right now.

• Like 1

It's the Sun.

I doubt they actually want £10m for him. There will be players that cost less than that and who offer better pedigree and who have more than a season behind them at a top European level. Not sure many will value him at £10m.

Don't want to see Dimi messed around again - a good player, show him some trust. Decide if he's a left back or a wing half then let him get on with it instead of this 'oh we'll just have to play him this week because someone's tweeked a cheek buttock' attitude. 

He was on £65k a week though, so even if we could afford the fee (we can't), he was worth it (he isn't) and he would come here (he won't) it doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

The English tax is insane.

Liverpool bought Calvin Ramsay for £4m upfront, from Aberdeen, and he has a vastly greater potential than Williams.

If you're looking for a left back:

Jack Mackenzie at Aberdeen is better than Williams, but would only cost £1m-£2m.

Blimey, you'd think Aberdeen might win a few more games if all their players are so good....😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Getting relegated and spending £10 million on a left back who's currently earning 60k a week at Man United would be seriously reckless behaviour.

Imagine he comes in and is garbage in the championship. People would be baying for the blood of those that cooked up this business. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

I can see a Hayden like deal, loan to buy on promotion if no one else comes in for him. 

As a right sided replacement for Aarons it could work but I highly doubt it.

Was there ever any conclusion to his outburst at the fans btw? I got the impression that he probably wasn't actually followed home but just needed an excuse after reacting badly to taking some stick.

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

lol

Very much so.

Hickey, Robertson, Tierney, Patterson, Doig, Mackenzie, Ramsay. Scotland are the World Champions at producing fullbacks. 😉

Shame they’re rubbish at midfielders (*cough* Gilmour *cough*).

1. We arent going to be buying any players regardless of outgoings at this level. 2. I think Dimi, if he stays is more than competent at championship level 3. I dont really have a 3.

IF we had 10 million to spend on one player it needs to be someone who can thread a through ball to Pukki or Pukki’s long term replacement. We won’t spend 10m and LB is an area we have covered.

I would put money on the fact that he won't be playing in the Championship next year - and  don't gamble!

Not a chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

As a right sided replacement for Aarons it could work but I highly doubt it.

If he were a makeweight in a sale of Aarons to ManUre, I'd go for that, as long as we got plenty of cash.

30 minutes ago, Haus said:

Dimi is better tbh.

I'm not sure he's better. He has different strengths from Williams and different weaknesses.

But he's definitely good enough for the Championship and, as other people have said, there are other slots where we are in much greater need of new blood.

I doubt if he will cost £10M in the end. And he won't be getting £65K a week anywhere else. So in terms of his ability, yes I would like him to come back. At the end of the season, so many posts were about lack of effort as well as ability. Well Williams would run through a brick wall for you. Of course that isn't everything but even Duncan Forbes was taught to play football under John Bond.

12 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Was pretty special when he stole the ball vs Everton, ran half the length of the field and thread perfect ball to Idah who tucked it home.

One swallow doesn’t make a springtime dear boy. 

if we could get him for 4-5 then absolutely we should but he’s reportedly on 60k a week at United and we would be lucky to offer him 10. He’ll end up going somewhere mid to low prem. 

could have been better used in midfield I thought, but at £10 m a NO go and at £60k a week salary ABSOLUTELY NO.

Need to spend on improving passes for Pukki not another defender.

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

One swallow doesn’t make a springtime dear boy. 

It's one example of many.  Just a shame he wasn't a RB really.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Google Bot