Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Glastonbury

Robert Plant, Rufus Wainwright, Waterboys, Primal Scream, Gong, System 7, Richard Thompson, Fisherman’s Friends, Moulettes, Alice Roberts, Kathryn Roberts & Sean Lakeman, and last but not least, Solstice.  Sadly I don’t have a ticket and most of these won’t be on the telly as they’re not on the main stages.

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Who you looking to seeing? Wolf Alice are worth a watch but I’m not sure when they playing. 

Love them, seen them a few times already and have never disappointed.

I bet the BBC will repeat a certain performance of one song like ten times over the whole weekend, like they did in 2003 with Franz Ferdinand and “Take Me Out”.

Edited by KernowCanary

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can't wait to see Paul McCartney on the Pyramid stage, not.

Not wrong there, I can picture him with Phil Collins and the singer from Level 42 (can’t remember his name but he’s crap) entering the Pyramid stage together and everyone topping themselves.

• Haha 1

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Not wrong there. I can picture him with Phil Collins and the singer from Level 42 (can’t remember his name but he’s crap) entering the Pyramid stage together and everyone topping themselves.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not wrong there, I can picture him with Phil Collins and the singer from Level 42 (can’t remember his name but he’s crap) entering the Pyramid stage together and everyone topping themselves.

Level 42 is Mark King. Has a strange way of playing bass with his thumb. 

It's a poor old line-up this year. 

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Level 42 is Mark King. Has a strange way of playing bass with his thumb. 

It's a poor old line-up this year. 

Actually Mark King is a well respected bass player and a real exponent of slap bass.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Actually Mark King is a well respected bass player and a real exponent of slap bass.

I find him better to listen to than to watch. It looks so awkward. I"m a Stranglers fan so prefer plectrum bassists like JJ Burnel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Mark King….. but that’s a really good scenario there which I wouldn’t be able to blame them for!.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Lessons in love hey, those songs were crap though. 

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Lessons in love hey, those songs were crap though. 

Just to make money. Some of the album tracks were good but not commercial. Classically trained keyboard player. I saw them live and they could really play. You don't get to play with Larry King if you aint good.

I remember seeing Sweet back in the days of hipsters and platforms. I didn't want to because their singles were dreadful. But live, they could play and were nothing like the bubblegum rubbish they put out. But you have to earn a crust.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just to make money. Some of the album tracks were good but not commercial. Classically trained keyboard player. I saw them live and they could really play. You don't get to play with Larry King if you aint good.

I remember seeing Sweet back in the days of hipsters and platforms. I didn't want to because their singles were dreadful. But live, they could play and were nothing like the bubblegum rubbish they put out. But you have to earn a crust.

Any excuse to post this picture

BDE6FDB6-D398-440D-BEA8-667D5C9661BC.jpeg

Alot of bands supposedly hate their big hit. 

Radiohead - creep

Jeff beck - hi ho silver lining

Nowhere near the top ten songs by those artists yet the first song most would mention maybe?

2 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Alot of bands supposedly hate their big hit. 

Radiohead - creep

Jeff beck - hi ho silver lining

Nowhere near the top ten songs by those artists yet the first song most would mention maybe?

And to make it worse for Jeff Beck, that song is used at football matches.

I’ve been into music all my life but I’ve only tried to get tickets to Glastonbury once, in the early 2000s. It just seems a bit too corporate now and the only reason I would ever want to go would be to hang out in the Strummerville area. I’m not sure I’ll even bother watching on TV this year. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I’ve been into music all my life but I’ve only tried to get tickets to Glastonbury once, in the early 2000s. It just seems a bit too corporate now and the only reason I would ever want to go would be to hang out in the Strummerville area. I’m not sure I’ll even bother watching on TV this year. 

Yes, it has become Motorhomes etc instead of a tent and has beens headlining to accomodate so many of the elderly who now go.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes, it has become Motorhomes etc instead of a tent and has beens headlining to accomodate so many of the elderly who now go.

My wife went in a VW camper in 2004, maybe she started the trend 😳

• Haha 1

I've not been inspired by todays coverage. Certainly the TV channels. The formula seems to be one or two songs by a random band. 15 minutes of jo whiley rambling, a video about rubbish and a 'celebrity' interview. Repeat.

Perhaps I'm just getting a grumpy old man!

Some decent stuff on the iPlayer. Enjoyed Robert Plant and Alison Krause. Also Haim.

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1

On 23/06/2022 at 11:07, keelansgrandad said:

Sweets singles were awesome. But you're right, they were a great rock band too.

10 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I've not been inspired by todays coverage. Certainly the TV channels. The formula seems to be one or two songs by a random band. 15 minutes of jo whiley rambling, a video about rubbish and a 'celebrity' interview. Repeat.

Perhaps I'm just getting a grumpy old man!

Some decent stuff on the iPlayer. Enjoyed Robert Plant and Alison Krause. Also Haim.

It’s been like that for years, really annoying it is also!.

On 23/06/2022 at 18:35, KernowCanary said:

Sick to death of BBC online showing videos and photos of people at train stations going to this.

STOP IT NOW!

It had become a huge media event in itself now and you're force fed "Glastonbury" at every angle, but suppose it's important for them to promote it since they show some of it.

On another point it's very difficult to get tickets due to demand so I always wonder how some people go year after year

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 11:29, keelansgrandad said:

First time I went we got absolutely mashed, hang around our tent most of the time and saw the Cure. Very good fun but didn't see much. I remember a group of Scousers had set up a "corner shop" for illicit substances.😀

Second time was an awful experience. Mud literally up to my knees, the estates from Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool etc had emptied their scumbags onto the site, mugging, thieving their way through. I was working for a charity and ended up doing little for them because their areas were filled with filth. That was the year the runners woke up, re-planned and changed the whole of Glastonbury to what it is now.

Last time I went was as KG says. We hired an RV. Lived in relative comfort but had a great time. Saw some great bands, Neil Young being an absolute highlight, and enjoyed the whole weekend.

I doubt I'd go again but I'm glad I went the third time as it took away some of the bad memories. It is not what it used to be, now a "middle class" weekend away, but I would recommend people give it a go at least once. If you can get tickets that is.

• Thanks 1