Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Where are the new players?

12 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It has been said many times on this thread already that we’re hardly going to be bragging about how much money we’ve got are we? Guaranteed way of putting up the price of any player we try to buy.

Get what you are saying to a degree Nuff, but every Agent in the country knows we get Parachute Payment, it’s no big secret. I do think it’s our continued ‘not a lot to spend/needs to be outgoings first’ stance that the wider football community probably get tired of, I must admit I do now and I’ve supported the club for over 45 years. Maybe it will change if the investment does materialise over the coming weeks? Who knows.

Just now, Channon’s Windmill said:

Get what you are saying to a degree Nuff, but every Agent in the country knows we get Parachute Payment, it’s no big secret. I do think it’s our continued ‘not a lot to spend/needs to be outgoings first’ stance that the wider football community probably get tired of, I must admit I do now and I’ve supported the club for over 45 years. Maybe it will change if the investment does materialise over the coming weeks? Who knows.

It doesn't stop pretty much every other club saying the same thing, pretty much every window.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Stuart is working out a way to get from his desk to the window sill without touching the floor.

Neil hits F5 on his email screen every 10 seconds and throws darts at a dummy called 'Stupid Barry'.

Funniest post I've read on here in a long time! 😄

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I see you must be a cherry picker in life. You conveniently leave out that my praise of the transfer window was one post out of many. That almost all others warned that we had replaced neither Skipp nor Emi and would therefore struggle. That the decision to go with quantity over quality was misguided. 

Yes I got the second promotion season wrong. Hands up on that - but minus emi and Skipp we would have been terribly ordinary. Fact. 

Also dragging my faith into the debate as a slur is low. Would you criticise a persons race or sexuality in this way? 

I know we seldom see eye to eye, but I'm with you on that buddy. No need for it (and I say that as a staunch atheist).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Last time I asked this I ended up with egg on my face as Hayden signed an hour later. Think it is time for another so I will post again. 

It is a little concerning to me that our DOF, having gone on vacation in January which left us short, is again posting photos up mountains when we ought to be wheeling and dealing. Surely his annual vacation should not be taken immediately before, during and after transfer windows?! 

meanwhime we have lots of deadwood to move on and gaping holes to fill. Furthermore the sense I had when Farke was here, that the club has a clear vision, has evaporated. We seem to have completely changed tactic and have all the wrong personnel to implement it.

One week off the first pre season game and I really do sense chaos behind the scenes rather than careful planning. 

come on board and management - let’s be having you? Where are you? Etc 

What do you think we need that is realistically affordable? We have multiple proven players at this level in nearly all positions. No point spending money on someone to sit on the bench.

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

What do you think we need that is realistically affordable? We have multiple proven players at this level in nearly all positions. No point spending money on someone to sit on the bench.

I know that wasn't directed at me, but I think we definitely need one more central midfielder... Sorensen, Hayden, McLean and Lees-Melou isn't going to be enough, especially if we play three CMs (a DM and two box-to-box).

I'd also like us to get rid of Hugill and bring in an out-and-out striker in the Pukki mould, even if it's just a Prem loan. I don't think Idah and Sargent have enough killer instinct to chip in with enough goals (especially if Pukki is unavailable).

Other than that, it's just a case of replacing any outgoings (likely Aarons, Rashica, Tzolis and/or Cantwell).

With the exception of midfield I'd say Norwich have an embarrassment of riches for the Championship.

Expecting players like Sargent, Tzolis and even Rashica to settle instantly and tear up the PL was always pie in the sky. But in the Championship with the injection of confidence even a few victories will give I can see them developing.

Rowe, Springett, Tomkinson are coming through, Josh Martin maybe, then there's what to do with Onel and Hugill. Will Placheta finally fulfil his potential.

Lots of questions on top of a solid Championship defence, and proven Championship players. It's always nice to have a couple of new signings to get excited about, but I don't feel any need to panic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I know that wasn't directed at me, but I think we definitely need one more central midfielder... Sorensen, Hayden, McLean and Lees-Melou isn't going to be enough, especially if we play three CMs (a DM and two box-to-box).

I'd also like us to get rid of Hugill and bring in an out-and-out striker in the Pukki mould, even if it's just a Prem loan. I don't think Idah and Sargent have enough killer instinct to chip in with enough goals (especially if Pukki is unavailable).

Other than that, it's just a case of replacing any outgoings (likely Aarons, Rashica, Tzolis and/or Cantwell).

Think you could be making the case for going 4-4-2 here. We had Idah and Pukki up top, Lungi and Lees-Melou in central midfield and looked half-decent. Hayden and Lungi as the defensive midfielders, McLean and Lees-Melou as the box-to-box men...

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think you could be making the case for going 4-4-2 here. We had Idah and Pukki up top, Lungi and Lees-Melou in central midfield and looked half-decent. Hayden and Lungi as the defensive midfielders, McLean and Lees-Melou as the box-to-box men...

That sounds more like a 4-2-2-2 with no width at all... and no creativity! Can't see how that would work, unless I've misinterpreted what you're saying?

I can see the need for a CM for sure but who we get is really key. Assuming McLean, PLM and Hayden is the starting default, any arrival would need to be equal or better than them which on the market is £10m+ potentially.

or we get someone happy to sit on the bench for a while.

For me, I wonder who will be on set pieces as since Maddison went we haven’t been all that great at them. I believe Gilmour was supposed to be that guy last season to little success so perhaps there’s a btec James Ward Prowse out there that might fit the bill? We’d then have Hayden at 6, McClean at 8 and then someone to complete the trio as a more creative but mobile number 10/number 7 whichever way you go if say Dowell and Rachica take the wide berths.

I can see a world where we go 2 in the middle and then 3 attacking mids with Rashica more central or Idah/Sargent playing wide forward right and a left winger. Then we’d only need 4 defensive minded centre mids

I know we seldom see eye to eye, but I'm with you on that buddy. No need for it (and I say that as a staunch atheist).

It's also an idiotic stance to take. Whatever your position on the existence of a deity, there are genius theists and genius atheists. Famous atheist Christopher Hitchens once heralded Francis Collins, a genius physicist and geneticist and devout Christian, as one of the smartest and greatest living people.

I'd love to see Hogesar of the PinkUn turn to a man who discovered the gene that causes cystic fibrosis and say, "Haha, idiot Christian!"

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That sounds more like a 4-2-2-2 with no width at all... and no creativity! Can't see how that would work, unless I've misinterpreted what you're saying?

Well, it worked against Watford and Everton. Not to mention we had Rashica on the left in both cases, Sargent on the right. So we had a tricky dribbler on the left, and a big awkward sod on the right. Chuck in Idah up top as well, and Pukki's own pace and awareness of space, and longer balls suddenly became a much more feasible option as they were more likely to stick - relieving the pressure on our defence and central midfield.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean a lack of width (and if you get on the front foot, I'd say the full-backs should be responsible for widening the pitch out as far as possible when in possession anyway). We just didn't play as many threaded throughballs such as the likes of Buendia, Vrancic or Stiepermann would hit that were such a feature of Farkeball.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Apart from another midfielder/10. until someone else is sold we don't really need any more.

We won't sign a new RB unless Aarons goes, won't need a winger unless Rashica goes etc.

This is going to be a summer of getting players out of the door, whether that's loan or permanent. Cantwell, Hugill, Hernandez, Placheta etc will probably go if an offer comes in. The same with the likes of Sinani, Soto, Famewo etc.

25 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, it worked against Watford and Everton. Not to mention we had Rashica on the left in both cases, Sargent on the right. So we had a tricky dribbler on the left, and a big awkward sod on the right. Chuck in Idah up top as well, and Pukki's own pace and awareness of space, and longer balls suddenly became a much more feasible option as they were more likely to stick - relieving the pressure on our defence and central midfield.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean a lack of width (and if you get on the front foot, I'd say the full-backs should be responsible for widening the pitch out as far as possible when in possession anyway). We just didn't play as many threaded throughballs such as the likes of Buendia, Vrancic or Stiepermann would hit that were such a feature of Farkeball.

Ah, I did misinterpret you. I thought you were advocating playing all four CMs together in a narrow 4-2-2-2 with Kenny and Pierre more advanced! 🙂

Yeah, I'd have no problem with 4-4-2 with Idah and Pukki up top, and Sargent/Rashica in the wider roles. Assuming Hayden is a guaranteed starter, you'd expect Kenny or Pierre to be the other CM in that eventuality, although neither of them have a huge amount of creativity. That's where a more creative number 8 to play alongside Hayden might come in...

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ah, I did misinterpret you. I thought you were advocating playing all four CMs together in a narrow 4-2-2-2 with Kenny and Pierre more advanced! 🙂

Yeah, I'd have no problem with 4-4-2 with Idah and Pukki up top, and Sargent/Rashica in the wider roles. Assuming Hayden is a guaranteed starter, you'd expect Kenny or Pierre to be the other CM in that eventuality, although neither of them have a huge amount of creativity. That's where a more creative number 8 to play alongside Hayden might come in...

Yeah, I thought it was obvious that I'd meant Hayden and Lungi as the defensive ones with one of them being played, and McLean / PLM as the box-to-box man with one of them being played, especially as we were on about squad depth! Can definitely see where the misunderstanding took place though! 🙂

Although I gotta admit, now you say that, there is something about that 4-2-2-2 that gets the Egil Olsen/Helenio Herrera/George Graham side of my tactics on FM to think "sounds fun". Throttle the tar out of the middle of the park and stifle anything resembling passing football for as long as possible. 😄

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I see you must be a cherry picker in life. You conveniently leave out that my praise of the transfer window was one post out of many. That almost all others warned that we had replaced neither Skipp nor Emi and would therefore struggle. That the decision to go with quantity over quality was misguided. 

Yes I got the second promotion season wrong. Hands up on that - but minus emi and Skipp we would have been terribly ordinary. Fact. 

Also dragging my faith into the debate as a slur is low. Would you criticise a persons race or sexuality in this way? 

I really do hope an apology from the perpetrator is forthcoming sooner rather than later.  Constructive criticism of a religion is fine, but gratuitously attacking and ridiculing someone for their religious beliefs very definitely isn’t and is covered by legislation.

Edited by Naturalcynic

fortunately i am not thin skinned. Just called it out to nip it in the bud. 

Back to football and I still think we need, in order of preference, a CAM, ST and another CDM if possible whilst moving on Lungi who, though he can do a job, doesn't ever seem likely to become a regular starter as he is unfancied by management for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I really do hope an apology from the perpetrator is forthcoming sooner rather than later.  Constructive criticism of a religion is fine, but gratuitously attacking and ridiculing someone for their religious beliefs very definitely isn’t and is covered by legislation.

I agree with thi, but with one potential caveat, what about Scientology?

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

It's also an idiotic stance to take. Whatever your position on the existence of a deity, there are genius theists and genius atheists. Famous atheist Christopher Hitchens once heralded Francis Collins, a genius physicist and geneticist and devout Christian, as one of the smartest and greatest living people.

I'd love to see Hogesar of the PinkUn turn to a man who discovered the gene that causes cystic fibrosis and say, "Haha, idiot Christian!"

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

fortunately i am not thin skinned. Just called it out to nip it in the bud. 

Back to football and I still think we need, in order of preference, a CAM, ST and another CDM if possible whilst moving on Lungi who, though he can do a job, doesn't ever seem likely to become a regular starter as he is unfancied by management for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

I agree with thi, but with one potential caveat, what about Scientology?

I'll happily apologise, but it was nothing more than a light-hearted joke. If it's caused genuine offence then of course I'm sorry.

I've certainly had much worse directed at me on here, just as personal but simply not religious-based. It's certainly not carried nearly the same offence to others which is interesting, but it is what it is.

I get for some people it's difficult, perhaps impossible, to be light-hearted and jokey about religion but I gave it a go. Clearly failed. 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If your aim was a laugh maybe include a punchline next time - rather than an insult. 

The punchline was kind of the inference of everything you get wrong, but persist with these irrational threads. I didn't even include last time you posted the exact same thread prematurely and we signed someone the same day. 

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The punchline was kind of the inference of everything you get wrong, but persist with these irrational threads. I didn't even include last time you posted the exact same thread prematurely and we signed someone the same day. 

Didn’t get last season wrong did I? 

17 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, you're all about realism.

There's the realism where you predicted we wouldn't come close to promotion last time we were relegated.

There's the realism where you predicted we stood no chance of getting promoted the first time round under Farke.

There's the realism where last summer you declared our transfer window the best in living memory. 

Oh, and since you decided to use a happy clapper jibe I'll also point out There's the realism where you genuinely believe seriously in Christianity.

Ironically-or not, maybe-happy clapper, as well as now being a somewhat derogatory term used by the pantwetting fraternity to describe anybody who isn't wringing their hands in dismay and predicting 9-0 defeats, relegation from the Championship and plagues of frogs, locusts, boils etc, is also a somewhat derogatory term used to describe evangelical christians who sing and clap enthusiastically during worship.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Didn’t get last season wrong did I? 

Yeah, you did. Once we finished our window you literally said it was the best transfer window in living memory.

Your words, not mine. And it was once we'd finished our transfer activity.

Hell of a number of players with only 12 months left on their contracts.

Cantwell, Pukki, McLean, Dowell, Byram, Hugill, Hernandez, Sinani, Zimmermann, Martin, Soto, McGovern, Famewo.

Cantwell, Sinani, Martin, Soto, Famewo will definitely be moved on this summer. Rumours are there is interest in Sinani from abroad and there was a link for Cantwell to Nantes.

I would imagine they wouldn't be against offers for Hugill & Hernandez. And if they don't come they will probably be in and around the squad.

• Like 1

we have a squad good enough for top championship but not good enough for PL 

i feel this is the chance to Rebuild the Midfield 

the Midfield is the biggest problem full of players good enough for champs but not PL 

i know we are in the champs but we have to improvet he squad each year 

we need some players who have potential to make the step up to PL football pace strength and a eye for a pass 

i would sell any of the Midfield to fund this as they have all proved PL is a step to far 

Edited by norfolkngood

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If your aim was a laugh maybe include a punchline next time - rather than an insult. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, you could have taken that apology rather than turn it into a protracted argument? Instead you met an apology with a bitter retort.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chicken said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, you could have taken that apology rather than turn it into a protracted argument? Instead you met an apology with a bitter retort.

What apology? He said he would be happy to apologise but didn’t actually do so. Instead he went on to suggest I was being too sensitive and couldn’t take a joke, even though no joke was ever made just a rude insult. No worries - happy to move on. But let’s at least be factual 

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

What apology? He said he would be happy to apologise but didn’t actually do so. Instead he went on to suggest I was being too sensitive and couldn’t take a joke, even though no joke was ever made just a rude insult. No worries - happy to move on. But let’s at least be factual 

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'll happily apologise, but it was nothing more than a light-hearted joke. If it's caused genuine offence then of course I'm sorry.

I've certainly had much worse directed at me on here, just as personal but simply not religious-based. It's certainly not carried nearly the same offence to others which is interesting, but it is what it is.

I get for some people it's difficult, perhaps impossible, to be light-hearted and jokey about religion but I gave it a go. Clearly failed. 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Those who have history of ridiculing DCB and others for their religious views should be aware of the position of the CPS regarding religious hate crime:

"Any incident/crime which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice based on a person's religion or perceived religion."