Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Where are the new players?

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Just discovered this footage of DCB taking a walk

Here's the song needed for the background music.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Alright Mr Pedant.

I don't think the combined fees of those three are suddenly freeing up much cash for new first team signings. 

I bet the wages of drmic and Rupp is sizeable though 

If he stays fit Hayden has the potential to be the best signing of at least the last two seasons. 

I’d much rather we carefully add quality to the squad and I imagine that won’t and probably can’t be a rushed process.

It’s an extremely important window and so far it’s been good, I don’t see a reason to panic or be upset.

• Like 1

DCB is the Pink Un forum’s version of Morrissey 

“If you must go to Carrow Road tomorrow, well if I were you I wouldn’t bother, for there are brighter sides to life and I should know ‘cos I’ve seen them but not very often.” 

Cheers DCB! 

Edited by Danke bitte
  • Like 1

We get this kind of thread every year so it was a question of when not if! The last two occasions in this league we've won it comfortably as a result of the recruitment which was spot on, there is no reason to think it will be different this time. I reckon we've got 75-80% of what we need, four or five new faces to fill the gaps in the squad and we'll be ready to go for it again. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

15 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

DCB is the Pink Un forum’s version of Morrissey

With less of a sense of humour? 😉

• Haha 1

At least DCB isn't a floater. He says what he thinks. Fair play. There are a few on here who will be banging on about signings if next season doesn't start too well. I prefer to wait and see if we get the right ones in. Quality if available.

But I am disappointed that with parachute money we are talking bout having to sell first.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But I am disappointed that with parachute money we are talking bout having to sell first.

It has been said many times on this thread already that we’re hardly going to be bragging about how much money we’ve got are we? Guaranteed way of putting up the price of any player we try to buy.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

At least DCB isn't a floater. He says what he thinks. Fair play. There are a few on here who will be banging on about signings if next season doesn't start too well. I prefer to wait and see if we get the right ones in. Quality if available.

Think a large squad is also part of the problem, although we have trimmed a bit with Rupp and Drmic going if it comes to first-team wages. Not much point getting more players in if we've a lot to begin with. We got a proven PL player in the precise position we needed, who also has experience of winning the Championship, and we got him in early and quietly. 

But we have to stay out of bidding wars. We seemed to end in a few last time out. Ajer being a case in point.

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I’m perfectly happy thanks. But I do have a realist approach to life. And what we were playing at the tail end of last season will be nowhere near good enough to bring us promotion. 

I totally agree that what we were playing at the end of last season won't be good enough to bring promotion. But against weaker opposition, we will play better football. How much better remains to be seen, of course... 😉

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well that must include one J Hugill who managed a grand total of THREE league goals in the Championship last season I believe. Both Idah and Sargent are still relatively young but their record of scoring goals v appearances in professional football does not inspire confidence that they can step up and score the goals required should Pukki suffer injury and / or loss of form (assuming he stays of course).   

I agree with you that another striker is high on our priority list. I'm not saying I don't think we need to make any signings, just that we have the nucleus of a very strong squad at this level. Hugill is definitely the weakest of the four strikers on our books, and I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed to see him leave over the summer.

I think playing Pukki and Idah together could work really well, it looked promising for the couple of games Smith played them together before Idah got injured. But yeah, if (god forbid) Pukki were to get a long-term injury it could be a colossal blow, and we should try to mitigate that if at all possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

If he stays fit Hayden has the potential to be the best signing of at least the last two seasons. 

I’d much rather we carefully add quality to the squad and I imagine that won’t and probably can’t be a rushed process.

It’s an extremely important window and so far it’s been good, I don’t see a reason to panic or be upset.

Gotta say this is a self defeating argument.

Hayden was signed quickly. Could be the best signing for two years. We shouldn't sign players quickly as we can't trust they will be any good.

Sorry Monty, had to point it out.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

4 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Gotta say this is a self defeating argument.

Hayden was signed quickly. Could be the best signing for two years. We shouldn't sign players quickly as we can't trust they will be any good.

Sorry Monty, had to point it out.

My point was Hayden was signed because the circumstances were right. For him that was at the end of the season, for other players it may be after the season has started.

Not every quality transfer is ready now, we’ve already got one so that should encourage trust and patience.

• Like 1

The way I see it is from the last time we were in the champ we have replaced Hayden with Skipp and Buendia with Rashica and Tzolis 

we’ll be more than fine 

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I’m perfectly happy thanks. But I do have a realist approach to life. And what we were playing at the tail end of last season will be nowhere near good enough to bring us promotion. 

Yeah, you're all about realism.

There's the realism where you predicted we wouldn't come close to promotion last time we were relegated.

There's the realism where you predicted we stood no chance of getting promoted the first time round under Farke.

There's the realism where last summer you declared our transfer window the best in living memory. 

Oh, and since you decided to use a happy clapper jibe I'll also point out There's the realism where you genuinely believe seriously in Christianity.

• Haha 1

As Webber says, the model is sell first then buy second. Unfortunately, the money spent has not left us with a bunch of players people want. With our lack of cash flow, I see very little incomings that will massively improve the 1st team BUT I think Hayden is a good start and remain to be pleasantly surprised.

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

There's the realism where you predicted we wouldn't come close to promotion last time we were relegated.

There's the realism where you predicted we stood no chance of getting promoted the first time round under Farke.

There's the realism where last summer you declared our transfer window the best in living memory. 

Oh, and since you decided to use a happy clapper jibe I'll also point out There's the realism where you genuinely believe seriously in Christianity.

I see you must be a cherry picker in life. You conveniently leave out that my praise of the transfer window was one post out of many. That almost all others warned that we had replaced neither Skipp nor Emi and would therefore struggle. That the decision to go with quantity over quality was misguided. 

Yes I got the second promotion season wrong. Hands up on that - but minus emi and Skipp we would have been terribly ordinary. Fact. 

Also dragging my faith into the debate as a slur is low. Would you criticise a persons race or sexuality in this way? 

• Like 1

Inconceivable that having a Dof and Asst Dof we only sign one player in 2 transfer windows. I'm expecting a few more incomings and outgoings yet!

We’re waiting for the Aston Villa loan manager to come back off holiday so we can do a few cheeky Dean Smith “cuppa on the touchline in a proper cup” deals

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Inconceivable that having a Dof and Asst Dof we only sign one player in 2 transfer windows. I'm expecting a few more incomings and outgoings yet!

I'm sorry what does having a director of football and an assistant have to do with buying and selling?

We all know what's going on. We don't have money to buy new players. No one wants our players to facilitate a sale. 

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

There’s absolutely no need to bring someone’s religious beliefs into this discussion, particularly when you seek to ridicule them.  I doubt you’d have done this if it related to any religion other than Christianity, and I also suspect that you wouldn’t have derided anyone for any other protected characteristics they might have.  If you did this in the workplace I think you’d find yourself facing disciplinary action with possible immediate loss of employment.

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm sorry what does having a director of football and an assistant have to do with buying and selling?

We all know what's going on. We don't have money to buy new players. No one wants our players to facilitate a sale. 

So how are they spending their time?

In an ideal world you'd want to have all new signings done asap, so they get a full preseason with the squad, but that's not how transfer windows tend to play ou also add in the factor that Webber has clearly said there are little funds unless we sell first.

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Sometimes it’s better to just think it and not say it!

4 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

In an ideal world you'd want to have all new signings done asap, so they get a full preseason with the squad, but that's not how transfer windows tend to play ou also add in the factor that Webber has clearly said there are little funds unless we sell first.

Precisely, and realistically we have the most important piece of the jigsaw in place now as we have a destructive defensive midfielder in - and one no-one expected either. We've been hankering after one for a few years.

As for what the DOF does, transfer business was always only a small part of their remit - as the heavy-duty investment in the training facilities, in the Nest etc. inter alia should make clear. Also, considering that our last pre-season transfer business didn't work out so well, I'd personally be a bit worried if we repeated similar errors, so if they're being more prudent this time around, fair play to them.

I reckon they're seeing if a decent bid comes in, sounding out about what price would be needed to prise a potential target away, then taking it on from there.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So how are they spending their time?

Stuart is working out a way to get from his desk to the window sill without touching the floor.

Neil hits F5 on his email screen every 10 seconds and throws darts at a dummy called 'Stupid Barry'.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes I got the second promotion season wrong. Hands up on that - but minus emi and Skipp we would have been terribly ordinary. Fact

If you think that’s a fact, it explains quite a lot about the way you think.

• Like 1