Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Where are the new players?

Last time I asked this I ended up with egg on my face as Hayden signed an hour later. Think it is time for another so I will post again. 

It is a little concerning to me that our DOF, having gone on vacation in January which left us short, is again posting photos up mountains when we ought to be wheeling and dealing. Surely his annual vacation should not be taken immediately before, during and after transfer windows?! 

meanwhime we have lots of deadwood to move on and gaping holes to fill. Furthermore the sense I had when Farke was here, that the club has a clear vision, has evaporated. We seem to have completely changed tactic and have all the wrong personnel to implement it.

One week off the first pre season game and I really do sense chaos behind the scenes rather than careful planning. 

come on board and management - let’s be having you? Where are you? Etc 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots

I don't really know what you're expecting here?

We've been told not to expect a jam packed summer, we've got one player in a key position in through the door and we've not sold anyone. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't really know what you're expecting here?

We've been told not to expect a jam packed summer, we've got one player in a key position in through the door and we've not sold anyone. 

I guess I am expecting to see action. There is no point paying wages for players who don’t have a future here. So let’s see some sales. We still lack creativity so let’s see more than one summer signing!! 

I think we'll be trimming the squad more so, with the addition im sure of multiple loans. If a big sale comes about like Max A then I would expect several new signings. Until that occurs, I suspect it will be players just leaving.

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I guess I am expecting to see action. There is no point paying wages for players who don’t have a future here. So let’s see some sales. We still lack creativity so let’s see more than one summer signing!! 

Well we can't force teams to buy our players can we? So you're going to have to be a bit more patient. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Nah, not having it.

You must be pretending to be this stupid. Not to just be this stupid to think this in the first place, but to then think it was a good idea to post it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Nah, not having it.

You must be pretending to be this stupid. Not to just be this stupid to think this in the first place, but to then think it was a good idea to post it. 

What is stupid about expecting transfer activity during a transfer window within a bloated squad that has massively underperformed and lost its identity? 

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I definitely would have liked to have seen more significant dealings being done, not just 1 in and a couple of kids leaving. 

I expect they'll be more movement now players are returning from their holidays. Its bit unrealistic to expect whole scale changes this early on.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

I expect they'll be more movement now players are returning from their holidays. Its bit unrealistic to expect whole scale changes this early on.

Never said whole sale changes.. I'd be satisfied if we'd have brought in just one more than Hayden by this point. It just has that feeling of dragging heals until the last minute again. 

Im sure we will see a couple more in, how could we not. 

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

What is stupid about expecting transfer activity during a transfer window within a bloated squad that has massively underperformed and lost its identity? 

Unbelievable. You have to be trolling. This can't be a genuine poster.

What scenario do you think is happening here?

Do you think we've received offers for the players we don't want but we've responded with  "Ah, hold on actually. We'd like to pay their wages for a little longer".

Or do you think we've forgotten to let people know these players are available? Do you think their agents have forgotten to try and get their clients moves?

Or, possibly, do you think the players are only just returning from holiday and there's been minimal transfers in reality across most of England?

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sadly this

Why sadly? We've got a bloated squad with 37 (I think?) senior players on the books. I'd be pretty bloody concerned if we didn't see more outs than ins.

And besides, the squad needs minor tweaks with three or four quality signings rather than wholesale changes. Another quality midfielder (maybe two, depending on the system Smith wants to play), a quality attacker and then replacements for Aarons and Rashica if they leave. Then we can let the excess players go as and when suitable offers come in.

• Like 1

Bristol city have signed six and released six. And let’s remember that this year sees a reduced period pre season due to World Cup. When Webber first arrived it all seemed sorted long ahead of events unfolding. Now he seems to be largely absent and sulky, blocking out the local media and more focused on his personal goals than our club. 

23 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I definitely would have liked to have seen more significant dealings being done, not just 1 in and a couple of kids leaving. 

Try having a look at the transfer dealings of our competitors, then come back with the stats that show we are drastically lagging behind all the others in our transfer activity.

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Bristol city have signed six and released six. And let’s remember that this year sees a reduced period pre season due to World Cup. When Webber first arrived it all seemed sorted long ahead of events unfolding. Now he seems to be largely absent and sulky, blocking out the local media and more focused on his personal goals than our club. 

Theirs a lot of pant wetting going on

5 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

OK, so I've just checked the Sky Sports list of transfers for summer 2022 and found the following:

Six Championship clubs have yet to make a signing.

Nine clubs (including ourselves) have made one.

Seven clubs have made two.

The other two clubs, Bristol City and Cardiff, have been busy and made at least five each. A lot of these signings (from all clubs, not just Bristol City and Cardiff) are youngsters from the lower/non-leagues who may not even be first team players (all bar one of Bristol City's, for example). The only club to have made significant moves is Cardiff.

I'd rather Webber was nowhere near the wheeling and dealing to be honest, leave him be up his mountain... 

• Like 2

Sometimes I think you have to take a step back and look at our squad, I for one am glad that we haven't gone gung-ho and got rid of, or gone mad and bought for the sake of it. Our squad must be the envy of every other fan of a championship side, ok we made a mess of our season in the prem, but the strength we have with our existing players must send fear through other sides, and remember a lot was hopefully down to first season settling of the squad together. Personally I have great belief in what we have, and am pretty confident of a top 2 place

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I think we'll be trimming the squad more so, with the addition im sure of multiple loans. If a big sale comes about like Max A then I would expect several new signings. Until that occurs, I suspect it will be players just leaving.

With a condensed season coming up and a shorter break than normal, I'd expect us to keep a bigger squad than usual

There are a significant amount of players with extended breaks due to appearing in internationals too. Doesn't necessarily mean we're solely looking at those players, but other teams may be, and won't release players we want until they have theirs.

Similarly take Rashica, likely to be one of our departures this summer of any significant value, who is still on break

2 minutes ago, Haus said:

With a condensed season coming up and a shorter break than normal, I'd expect us to keep a bigger squad than usual

We need to offload for sure, but considering the amount of games in the championship we need a good sized capable squad to compete. Especially given the amount of injuries we generally have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Try having a look at the transfer dealings of our competitors, then come back with the stats that show we are drastically lagging behind all the others in our transfer activity.

I don't judge our business by other clubs transfer activity. 

I'd have liked US to have done abit more by now not Millwall or Rotherham etc. 👍👍

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You can’t sell people no one wants and it’s not like any of them covered themselves with glory last year is it 

• Like 1

Just to add- last season we waited until the last minute to attempt to address the glaring hole in our squad at DM. This season that same big weakness has been addressed before pre season has even begun.

I'm not saying we shouldn't want/aim for a few moe additions if we can move some players on but if we add a couple of players 3 or 4 games into the season I don't think it'll have the same negative knock on effect it did last year.