12 hours ago, chicken said:

Case in point - Danny Crow.

Remember the fuss when Glenn Middleton left us for Rangers? He’s hardly torn up the SPL. Been on loan at St Johnstone for the last season.

16 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Better than letting them leave for free after paying another year's salary....

100% of course. Shame some of these didn't pay off, but if you sign 10 players like bushiri, Dennis, soto etc on frees/small fees and one of them turns into a £20m player then its all been worth it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

100% of course. Shame some of these didn't pay off, but if you sign 10 players like bushiri, Dennis, soto etc on frees/small fees and one of them turns into a £20m player then its all been worth it.

The evidence starting to emerge with the likes of Aarons and Cantwell is that those days may shortly be over. Good. It will mean that Football Clubs will focus more on players who are in the correct ability range for the level of football occupied by the Club concerned.

It will mean that players will learn in more appropriate environments than these development set-ups and avoid young players being shunted around unnecessarily and give them the opportunity to learn in stable environments in the men's game tier structure with the ability to progress at their own pace and without warped economic pressure.

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

By that 'logic' youth development goes completely out of the window.

How? Consider the likes of Ivan Toney for example. Besides many of the world's best footballers learnt their trade on Brazilian beaches if they were lucky or Favela's if they were unlucky.

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

How? Consider the likes of Ivan Toney for example. Besides many of the world's best footballers learnt their trade on Brazilian beaches if they were lucky or Favela's if they were unlucky.

1976 called, it wants its youth development back

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

You mentioned Aarons and Cantwell before.

The harsh fact is this, the overwhelming majority of youngsters won't even make it into the pro game by definition. I think it's only about 2% that even get into the Football League. We'd be looking for the fraction of 1% that make it into seven or even eight figures. We clocked up Lewis, Maddison and Godfrey within the last four years. I'm deliberately missing out Buendia as we spent seven figures to get him, but he still would be a grand example of our focus on youth working well for all concerned.

By definition, most of those signings will fall short of that. You only need one to land for your youth model to be financed for a good few years. Even if they only yield smaller fees, like the £200K we got for Carlton Morris, that's a tidy enough return.

As for Brazilian beaches, I suspect our new link with Curitiba is aimed to get a window into the Brazilian market. Only time will tell there.

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

By definition, most of those signings will fall short of that. You only need one to land for your youth model to be financed for a good few years. Even if they only yield smaller fees, like the £200K we got for Carlton Morris, that's a tidy enough return.

No point in all that new fangled youth development.

All the best British players learn their trade on parks if they were lucky or council estates if they were unlucky.

1 minute ago, kirku said:

No point in all that new fangled youth development.

All the best British players learn their trade on parks if they were lucky or council estates if they were unlucky.

What about parks in council estates. Does that make them moderately unlucky or really unlucky? 😄

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

What about parks in council estates. Does that make them moderately unlucky or really unlucky? 😄

Unluckily lucky, I think

• Haha 2

Just now, kirku said:

Unluckily lucky, I think

Read that when drinking tea at the same time. Had to get kitchen roll to mop tea from screen and laptop. Nice work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good luck to the guy at least this season are released players are being picked up by league clubs.

There have not been many examples of players we have let go and have had careers at a level higher than Norwich level during the same period. Danny Mills is the only example I can really think of.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly except that the local park in many continental countries is floodlit AstroTurf. Maybe a good idea if we followed suit.

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Exactly except that the local park in many continental countries is floodlit AstroTurf. Maybe a good idea if we followed suit.

Saw this in the remote village of Gjógv in the Faroe Islands last week. Thought it was a bloody grand idea, to be honest - namely a small, fenced off astroturf with in-built goals.

Don't see why this couldn't be put in many a small playground.

IMG_20220614_143547_627.jpg

Edited by TheGunnShow

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Remember the fuss when Glenn Middleton left us for Rangers? He’s hardly torn up the SPL. Been on loan at St Johnstone for the last season.

I mean there are tons... Joe Lewis was another, Jed Steer, there have been several over the years. Rarely given much to the first team bar a couple of minutes perhaps but they are supposedly the next best thing and the club is crazy for having let them go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Saw this in the remote village of Gjógv in the Faroe Islands last week. Thought it was a bloody grand idea, to be honest - namely a small, fenced off astroturf with in-built goals.

Some playgrounds have something similar in the UK but with a rubberised surface with basketball hoops as well. 

On 21/06/2022 at 10:24, BroadstairsR said:

A bit surprised by this turn of events as he has frequently been talked up by some as one who might make it through the ranks.

At least it's a name most of us casual observers are familiar with.

The £50, 000 from Cheltenham (can't see it being any more) oils the works of the academy nevertheless.

He's the League One Billy Gilmour.

That said, Billy Gilmour might still end up being the League One Billy Gilmour.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

They already do have things like this in the UK? Normally rubber or solid concrete surface, but with high fences and goals. West End Street Park, Belvedere Park, up behind Chapelfield Vets, a few I can name in Norwich?

ps. Incredibly envious that you've visited the Faroe Islands, that's an aspiration of mine.

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

The gripe that Glenn Middleton has is that we signed Simon Power from Ireland and pretty much told Middleton that he wasn't going to get much U23 player because Power was a better player.

Middleton's career isn't exactly flying, but he's proving a more promising player than Power (two years older and just released by Harrogate Town).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They already do have things like this in the UK? Normally rubber or solid concrete surface, but with high fences and goals. West End Street Park, Belvedere Park, up behind Chapelfield Vets, a few I can name in Norwich?

ps. Incredibly envious that you've visited the Faroe Islands, that's an aspiration of mine.

That's the thing, different surface as my photo was of a small astroturf. I'd like to see small astro pitches like that as part of larger playgrounds over here so young players get used to playing on that sort of surface early. In fact, IIRC, much of Iceland's emergence as a footballing nation was down to investment in indoor training facilities (most on indoor astroturf, possibly) so their youngsters could train all year round.

As for the Faroes, I've been twice (2018 / 2022). Will probably go back every June now (Tórshavn Marathon, basically, although I do the half, not the full one) now I know that the bucket list item I want to see on Svalbard isn't likely to be accessible in early June as the ice hasn't usually gone in the Billefjord, and the Spitsbergen Marathon was usually the same weekend as Tórshavn.

And if you want ideas for the Faroes, just PM me.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

And if you want ideas for the Faroes, just PM me.

I can't see that happening in this decade I'm afraid, young kids so beach holidays or centre parks for the foreseeable, do wish I'd ticked a few more places off the list before we I put the first bun in the oven! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I can't see that happening in this decade I'm afraid, young kids so beach holidays or centre parks for the foreseeable, do wish I'd ticked a few more places off the list before we I put the first bun in the oven! 

Yeah, the Faroes are well-known for being a gorgeous place to visit but tourism is still somewhat in its infancy ('arf) there so tourism-related infrastructure is still being filled. That said, you can easily organise good day trips and the apartment I stayed at had a small public playground just behind it.

Might as well lob my gallery in from my trip between June 11-17, so Facebook