Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A bit surprised by this turn of events as he has frequently been talked up by some as one who might make it through the ranks.

At least it's a name most of us casual observers are familiar with.

The £50, 000 from Cheltenham (can't see it being any more) oils the works of the academy nevertheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must have struggled with that bad injury he got on loan for Gillingham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

A bit surprised by this turn of events as he has frequently been talked up by some as one who might make it through the ranks.

At least it's a name most of us casual observers are familiar with.

The £50, 000 from Cheltenham (can't see it being any more) oils the works of the academy nevertheless.

We reproted paid something like £250k for him, we'll have made a loss overall on this transfer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, king canary said:

We reproted paid something like £250k for him, we'll have made a loss overall on this transfer. 

Quite. I can't see Cheltenham paying that much ... you never know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame, he was meant for great things, weren't Liverpool looking at him when we got him as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, king canary said:

We reproted paid something like £250k for him, we'll have made a loss overall on this transfer. 

It’s a pity he didn’t break through, it did feel we’d stolen a march on others when he signed.
Transfer fees on prospects like these do rather need to be seen as sunk costs - it is about what you can get for a player now rather than what you paid for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s been on loan twice which would have covered his wages and we would have asked for a small loan fee. The thing is, a lot of these young lads were brought in to play Farkeball, not saying they can’t play any other way but it will be interesting to see how he does as I had quite high hopes for him. I guess the two lads we got from Bolton and the Binners were in front of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FenwayFrank said:

He’s been on loan twice which would have covered his wages and we would have asked for a small loan fee. The thing is, a lot of these young lads were brought in to play Farkeball, not saying they can’t play any other way but it will be interesting to see how he does as I had quite high hopes for him. I guess the two lads we got from Bolton and the Binners were in front of him.

Loan fees from clubs like Telstar and Gillingham will be minimal.

I do get the 'model' with these players but of those in the 18-20 year old bracket that we've signed since Webber joined I think Martin and Mumba is the only ones to have made a remote impact on the first team and most seem to leave on free transfers a couple of years later. I get we take a number of punts but they aren't really playing out right now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, king canary said:

We reproted paid something like £250k for him, we'll have made a loss overall on this 

There will be a % sell on clause in this but realistically is a club like Cheltenham going to sell a player for more than say £2m, so this deal won't be worth much in the grand scheme of things 

They obviously feel they have better players in those positions. Gibbs and Clarke I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

He’s been on loan twice which would have covered his wages and we would have asked for a small loan fee. The thing is, a lot of these young lads were brought in to play Farkeball, not saying they can’t play any other way but it will be interesting to see how he does as I had quite high hopes for him. I guess the two lads we got from Bolton and the Binners were in front of him.

Hate to say this as it appears I'm beating Webber with a stick, (as if that needs any help) but isn't the whole idea of a sporting director is to carry on the ethos at at club, so that when a certain type of manager/coach makes certain types of signings , and then said coach/manager goes, the sporting director is suppose to get the next coach in who will carry on or be similar to that way of playing. Therefore the new coach doesn't need to start again with all new signing to play his way and that is ditto for the youth academy. 

 

Ofc DA just may not be good enough but if it is due to him being more suited to farkeball rather than the way DS wants to play , then again you have to ask why DS appointment in first place? The sporting director is suppose to provide the continuity in style and signings and type of players so that the coach is interchangable... Or so I thought was the whole idea anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, they don't even get an opportunity with us.    Famewo for example, never been given a chance, McAlear did really well yet we let him go for nothing!    McCallum is probably heading the same way.  

What is the loan manager actually doing, are they the right loans?    Would argue Dickson-Peters and Omotoye loans were unsuitable for them, young forwards in relegation battles and consequently likely lacking service and support.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Surprised and a bit disappointed at this as thought he was seen as promising,

Has to be said a lot of these youngsters seem to be getting flogged on the cheap now and not many of our loans seem to work, despite the fact we like to pat ourselves on the back for them. 

Edited by Jim Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really surprised as he was an exiting prospect at my local club Gillingham. People who went to games say he was one of the better players, but having got relegated didn't mean too much I guess.

 Good luck Daniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Thing is, they don't even get an opportunity with us.    Famewo for example, never been given a chance, McAlear did really well yet we let him go for nothing!    McCallum is probably heading the same way.  

What is the loan manager actually doing, are they the right loans?    Would argue Dickson-Peters and Omotoye loans were unsuitable for them, young forwards in relegation battles and consequently likely lacking service and support.   

Maybe you should consider that Adams, and whoever does the job now, actually did their job properly and discovered that these players would never be good enough for our first team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Thing is, they don't even get an opportunity with us.    Famewo for example, never been given a chance, McAlear did really well yet we let him go for nothing!    McCallum is probably heading the same way.  

What is the loan manager actually doing, are they the right loans?    Would argue Dickson-Peters and Omotoye loans were unsuitable for them, young forwards in relegation battles and consequently likely lacking service and support.   

Famewo might get a chance this season. When you say McAlear did really well, where is he now? another Championship side? gone to Rangers? No he has gone to a mid-table league two side. The Scottish Championship is really low quality. Loan managers can't magically make them good enough. We buy lots of players with potential, most don't meet that potential but you role your dice and take your chances. The Godfrey money will pay for this approach for the next ten years. It only takes one or two to make it worth while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

He’s been on loan twice which would have covered his wages and we would have asked for a small loan fee.

Gillingham's wage bill in 2020/21 was £4.65m

Norwich's wage bill in 2020/21 was £54.6m

Please explain why you believe that the wages we pay Adshead would have been matched by Gillingham (or a Dutch D2 club)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

 Would argue Dickson-Peters and Omotoye loans were unsuitable for them, young forwards in relegation battles and consequently likely lacking service and support.   

If D-P or Omotoye can't perform in a relegation battle, lacking service & support, then they clearly have no future at Norwich City!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Gillingham's wage bill in 2020/21 was £4.65m

Norwich's wage bill in 2020/21 was £54.6m

Please explain why you believe that the wages we pay Adshead would have been matched by Gillingham (or a Dutch D2 club)?

How much was Adshead on a week? Without that information, quoting total wage bill is pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another example of how our scouting of  talent has let us down. Heading for another bad  transfer window, you couldn’t make it up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

How much was Adshead on a week? Without that information, quoting total wage bill is pointless.

Plus the wages of an academy player at Norwich probably aren’t that far away from a first teamer at Gillingham.
 

But it’s all speculation, we might as well have an argument about whether Grant Hanley is more likely to beat a shark or a bear in a fight. In fact, I think that would be probably be more entertaining. 🤔

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bert said:

Yet another example of how our scouting of  talent has let us down. Heading for another bad  transfer window, you couldn’t make it up 

Yet another example of your useless and dull trolling has let you down. Another bad attempt at fishing for arguments, you couldn’t make it up.
 

Although, TBF I have now decided to add you to “Big” Vince and a couple of others on my list of blocked posters, so thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

If D-P or Omotoye can't perform in a relegation battle, lacking service & support, then they clearly have no future at Norwich City!

Ha ha, but seriously....  They are young lads still learning in a tough game, they need to go to teams not under so much pressure for results and ideally teams that have more chance of getting the best out of them.   If that's a league lower, fair enough... but we shouldn't be judging them on those loans, especially if that team doesn't play a style consistent with us.... should have them back and if necessary send them on a better level loan next to develop them.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame to see this as he was one definitely earmarked for a big future but these things happen. I'd much rather they get moved on and create good futures for themselves at decent football league clubs than just become players we loan out every season which does nothing to help their career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

How much was Adshead on a week? Without that information, quoting total wage bill is pointless.

No, it isn't pointless. It highlights the massive disparity in wages between tier 1 and tier 3 clubs.

Adshead was playing first team football in his home town.

He chose to move some 200 miles and step down to 'development' football

If you don't believe that his choice was influenced by a significant rise in wages then I am not sure you understand how the football economy works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Maybe you should consider that Adams, and whoever does the job now, actually did their job properly and discovered that these players would never be good enough for our first team?

That is possible but sometimes the dynamic isn't right in certain situations, other teams play differently, the player can't settle.  Fact is though that Famewo for example was performing really well for Charlton who had a long run of clean sheets until injury to him and his long time CB partner.... also McCallum is QPR young player of the season apparently.   The Cally manager raved about McAlear (he would I suppose) and he did change a number of games plus was ever present.   Regardless of the standard, you have to acknowledge these are still young lads with potential to develop further.   Time will tell.   

 

Rather see us let McLean, Zimmerman, Platcheta, Hugill etc... go mutually than these lads.   Yes, I know they have contracts but we really need to be working v.hard on offloading those players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Gillingham's wage bill in 2020/21 was £4.65m

Norwich's wage bill in 2020/21 was £54.6m

Please explain why you believe that the wages we pay Adshead would have been matched by Gillingham (or a Dutch D2 club)?

I would guess Adshead would be on something between 1-2k a week which I don't this is too high for a club like Gillingham.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

That is possible but sometimes the dynamic isn't right in certain situations, other teams play differently, the player can't settle.  Fact is though that Famewo for example was performing really well for Charlton who had a long run of clean sheets until injury to him and his long time CB partner.... also McCallum is QPR young player of the season apparently.   The Cally manager raved about McAlear (he would I suppose) and he did change a number of games plus was ever present.   Regardless of the standard, you have to acknowledge these are still young lads with potential to develop further.   Time will tell.   

 

Rather see us let McLean, Zimmerman, Platcheta, Hugill etc... go mutually than these lads.   Yes, I know they have contracts but we really need to be working v.hard on offloading those players.

Releasing proven players at the level you're playing at and replacing them with youngsters who haven't even proven themselves in the division below is normally what relegates a team. There are plenty of examples, but the only time clubs are stupid enough to do this is when they're in a financial situation that means they have to.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yet another example of how our scouting of  talent has let us down. Heading for another bad  transfer window, you couldn’t make it up 

You Muppet.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...