Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Norwich fanbase/forum

1 hour ago, crispeduk said:

Great beach at Swansea as I recall from being a kid. But then again I'm old enough to remember riding the Mumbles Train .... ****, just gave away my age again, time to pull the duvet over.

You're a bit older than me then, the Worlds first passenger railway/ tramway I believe.

Mumbles beach is fine when the tide is high, mudflats at low tide, but a very attractive bay, shaped a bit like Naples😀

22 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

As another poster says message boards like this one are a dying breed.

They certainly are Smithy, when Twitter/Facebook/Instagram took off, messageboards and forums became  much quieter. I use twitter daily  now where you can catch up with all the ncfc/footy news from our local journos, Paddy, Connor, Michael B,  the club, national journos etc, etc and at the same time chat to friends, you can mute people, block people , block words & phrases and best of all select that only people you follow, can reply to you. 

I understand that Newsquest who now own Archant made around 40 people redundant last week, so lots of changes going on so who knows what the future holds for Archant related stuff 

6 minutes ago, Diane said:

They certainly are Smithy, when Twitter/Facebook/Instagram took off, messageboards and forums became  much quieter. I use twitter daily  now where you can catch up with all the ncfc/footy news from our local journos, Paddy, Connor, Michael B,  the club, national journos etc, etc and at the same time chat to friends, you can mute people, block people , block words & phrases and best of all select that only people you follow, can reply to you. 

I understand that Newsquest who now own Archant made around 40 people redundant last week, so lots of changes going on so who knows what the future holds for Archant related stuff 

Diane, I can well believe message-boards like this are quieter than before the arrival of social media, but I am not sure they're dying out. Like other posters I look at the equivalent message-board for our next opponent and they look lively enough, and I imagine this also looks lively to their supporters. And TWTD, for example, is certainly a very busy forum.

Not everybody does the various social media, and even many of those who do seem to find they don't provide for all their footballing news/gossip needs.

That is worrying news about those job losses, but it is sadly a common story. Regional and local papers are struggling all over the country.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Diane, I can well believe message-boards like this are quieter than before the arrival of social media, but I am not sure they're dying out. Like other posters I look at the equivalent message-board for our next opponent and they look lively enough, and I imagine this also looks lively to their supporters. And TWTD, for example, is certainly a very busy forum.

Not everybody does the various social media, and even many of those who do seem to find they don't provide for all their footballing news/gossip needs.

That is worrying news about those job losses, but it is sadly a common story. Regional and local papers are struggling all over the country.

Nope I still  agree with Smithy that they are a dying breed  meaning most clubs have only got one  main forum now  where a decent amount of people post regularly, years ago there were lots more.  Agree not everyone does social media but bet you 80% of the regular posters on here are either on twitter or facebook.

Yes sad news about redundancies, was sad to read some of the tweets from those affected.

9 hours ago, Van wink said:

You're a bit older than me then, the Worlds first passenger railway/ tramway I believe.

Mumbles beach is fine when the tide is high, mudflats at low tide, but a very attractive bay, shaped a bit like Naples😀

Visited quite a few times in the 1950s as an aunt and uncle had a newsagent’s and sweeties etc shop on Mansel Street, No. 29 I think. Rationing hadn’t that long been completely finished and having a full menu of flavoured fizzy drinks was spectacular to us as it would've been a massive treat at any other time to have any one of them. At that age you don’t have an experience filter, a street back from the main drag and a few doors along was a hole where, we realised only later, a German bomb had taken out a house, with beams supporting neighbouring properties. It never occurred to us that someone might’ve died there, it was just somewhere we weren’t supposed to play. The bad stuff couldn’t touch us, parents wouldn’t let it after what they’d been through – great holidays and still hold warm feelings for the people there because of their friendliness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diane said:

Nope I still  agree with Smithy that they are a dying breed  meaning most clubs have only got one  main forum now  where a decent amount of people post regularly, years ago there were lots more.  Agree not everyone does social media but bet you 80% of the regular posters on here are either on twitter or facebook.

Yes sad news about redundancies, was sad to read some of the tweets from those affected.

I prefer forums, much easier to search and find threads/posts. Social media seems so superficial and temporary in comparison. Someone shares something that's a really good idea and then blam... covered in an avalanche of people moaning or complaining or Russian 'bot' accounts...

I wonder if forums might be like vinyl and one day make a come back?

• Like 2

On 20/06/2022 at 23:51, chicken said:

The Forum got to No 45 in the Billboard charts with the third release of their vinyl single The River is Wide in 1967 after a Seattle DJ gave it plenty of air time. Don't think they'll make another come back now though. 😀

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2022 at 00:51, chicken said:

I prefer forums, much easier to search and find threads/posts. Social media seems so superficial and temporary in comparison. Someone shares something that's a really good idea and then blam... covered in an avalanche of people moaning or complaining or Russian 'bot' accounts...

For some of us🧙‍♂️...(pause to put Tumbleweed Connection on the record player)...vinyl💽 never went away.

• Like 2

On 20/06/2022 at 19:38, Diane said:

I actually think it's the easy accessibility of social media that has to a degree kept forums alive. In theory, forums should have died a complete death 10 years ago but there's still loads of active ones.

The easy accessibilty of social media means sensible written debate is quickly overuled by fake accounts, opposition fans, kids from our fanbase swearing every two seconds, and control is quickly lost.

That most of them wouldn't know how to create a forum account is a blessing that keeps forums like this alive, even if the're not quite as active as they once were.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I actually think it's the easy accessibility of social media that has to a degree kept forums alive. In theory, forums should have died a complete death 10 years ago but there's still loads of active ones.

The easy accessibilty of social media means sensible written debate is quickly overuled by fake accounts, opposition fans, kids from our fanbase swearing every two seconds, and control is quickly lost.

That most of them wouldn't know how to create a forum account is a blessing that keeps forums like this alive, even if the're not quite as active as they once were.

Yes. There is a difference between forums having less traffic than several years ago and actually dying off. No doubt the former is true but as far as I can see not the latter. If WotB is still going strong then Norwich City has at least three, two of which are busy enough.

And looking for the forums of our next opponents over the last few seasons I have yet to find a club that doesn't have at least one such, and seemingly still pretty busy at that.

There is obviously still something a forum provides that the more instant and/or superficial social media cannot. Only 280 characters? Pah! Most of my first paragraphs are longer than that...🤓

• Like 2

On 20/06/2022 at 23:51, chicken said:

I think the popularity of places like Reddit, which I see as a halfway house between a forum and social media, suggests there is still an appetite for longer form discussion, the likes of which you can't get on twitter or similar.

This forum is an interesting one as, and I say this as someone who is clearly part of it, it is phenomenally cliquey at times and I can totally see why outsiders may be put off. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes. There is a difference between forums having less traffic than several years ago and actually dying off. No doubt the former is true but as far as I can see not the latter. If WotB is still going strong then Norwich City has at least three, two of which are busy enough.

And looking for the forums of our next opponents over the last few seasons I have yet to find a club that doesn't have at least one such, and seemingly still pretty busy at that.

There is obviously still something a forum provides that the more instant and/or superficial social media cannot. Only 280 characters? Pah! Most of my first paragraphs are longer than that...🤓

For the most part debate on this board is reasoned, even if at times the reasoning looks iffy, but iffy usually in the same way that I think some people are nuts because I don’t agree with them, while I just ignore the childlike ones anyway (I'm a football supporter, not a social worker). The abuse for the most part is also less rancid than the vile stuff which often targets anyone with a ‘different’ view on Facebook, reading it was enough for me to just switch it off after a few visits. On here mostly (granted not always) a spat feels like a bust-up when the pub pi**head has had one too many – you know tomorrow it’ll be quieter in the bar again. Btw I acknowledge I too have at times posted while drinking on an empty head. And as a supporter living many miles from the Fine City I feel this board gives me a connection with the club and the feeling of an affinity with many people who I will quite probably never meet, in a way which would be difficult in any other way. If it wasn’t here someone would need to invent it. Regardless of numbers of active posters the readership ought to stay high. OTBC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

Not sure on the exact date but this forum celebrates its 20th birthday this year. Not bad going. 

👏👏👏👏👏

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Forgotten about wotb tbh, never used it , so yes that's two ncfc forums with a decent amount of posters. Re 280 characters , now that would be a good idea for some on here 🤣

• Haha 1

On 19/06/2022 at 17:27, chicken said:

Forums are generally a dying breed. Social media has taken over the space that used to be occupied by forums. This is an observation of forums in general. Some still seem to be "lively" but generally, facespam groups seem to be more popular these days, or hashtags on twitter etc.

I suspect that a quick, brief survey of the folks on here would find that the typical poster would be male and easily at least 40+ in age. I suspect that the average age is possibly pushing closer to 60 than many would like to admit.

Go to social media and there are certainly more diversity in groups and following the club page. More women, more youngsters, more international fans etc.

Forums are generally a dying breed. 

Not if Cambridgeshire has anything to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Pete Raven said:

Not sure on the exact date but this forum celebrates its 20th birthday this year. Not bad going. 

Do we all get a cake?

43 minutes ago, Diane said:

Re 280 characters , now that would be a good idea for some on here 🤣

Or limit the new threads per day for some...... 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Do we all get a cake?

Yes, with a free Fixed Penalty Notice - but Pete will let you off everything else!

4 hours ago, Pete Raven said:

I could have sworn that I first became part of a pinkun forum back when I was at 6th form. So 98-2000.

Edited by chicken

5 hours ago, Pete Raven said:

Nice.  Any posters on that first day still posting Pete?  Should we give them a medal in recognition, if only a virtual one?  You might even get some column inches out of it, a critique of this thread perhaps?  

Not that I'm trying to do your job or anything.... 🤣🤣🤣

15 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Nice.  Any posters on that first day still posting Pete?  Should we give them a medal in recognition, if only a virtual one?  You might even get some column inches out of it, a critique of this thread perhaps?  

Not that I'm trying to do your job or anything.... 🤣🤣🤣

I believe chicken was. 

XXL16, John in Texas, gazzathegreat, Kentish Canary were also there from the start. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

This is the reason I still use this forum. I did stop using it for a couple of years, but came back when the sheer idiocy of social media fans became too much.

27 minutes ago, Pete Raven said:

I believe chicken was. 

XXL16, John in Texas, gazzathegreat, Kentish Canary were also there from the start. 

Thanks Pete!

Congratulations to 

@chicken @XXL16 @gazzathegreat @Kentish Canary @John in Texas

for 20 years hard labour!

On 19/06/2022 at 18:07, Midlands Yellow said:

Definitely pushing 60. Many set alarm clocks for  8am to commence posting until around midnight. 

I know someone half that age who does that. 😜

44 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is the reason I still use this forum. I did stop using it for a couple of years, but came back when the sheer idiocy of social media fans became too much.

Yeah I lasted about 2 weeks in one of those facebook groups. Absolutely rabid some of them. Similarly with twitter, although you can filter a bit on there at least. Looking at the replies to a Fabrizio Romano tweet is like peering into some form of hellscape.

1 hour ago, Pete Raven said:

I believe chicken was. 

I'd love to say I was posting on the first day but I wouldn't know for sure... I know I was at 6th form when I started posting but by the looks of things it would have been late on in the academic year.
image.thumb.png.b96741108f1a252ef178fcb09fa1560a.png

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'd love to say I was posting on the first day but I wouldn't know for sure... I know I was at 6th form when I started posting but by the looks of things it would have been late on in the academic year.

That format is much more elegant and easier to read and navigate than the modernistic eyesore we have here now. Why oh why do organizations feel it necessary to change designs every so often when the original is a timeless classic?🥵

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yeah I lasted about 2 weeks in one of those facebook groups. Absolutely rabid some of them. Similarly with twitter, although you can filter a bit on there at least. Looking at the replies to a Fabrizio Romano tweet is like peering into some form of hellscape.

At least on twitter you can like you say limit who you follow etc and avoid a decent chunk of it. The Facebook groups destroy any faith I might have had in the human race.

54 minutes ago, chicken said:

I don't think I was massively far behind this, I browsed this a lot before I joined to post but pretty sure that was after it changed to a modern forum style site. When did it change from this to its next reincarnation? Think I started posting in 2003ish