Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Norwich fanbase/forum

OK, Im not from Norwich and have no connections to Norwich other than some lovely childhood holidays and that for some reason as a child I picked Norwich as my team and there's no going back.

I always found Norwich information hard to come by growing up and with the advent of the internet it wasnt long before I stumbled on the Pinkun.

I have always been under the perception that this is the largest forum for Norwich City fans. I briefly joined the exodus a few years back to a new alternative forum set up by a fan (cant remember what it was called now) but that seemed to die and people eventually left. I remember the creator getting very upset after one heated debate, and I started posting on the Pinkun, which had a slight upgrade.

I have to say though, for a club of Norwich's ranking in the pyramid, I have always found this board surprisingly quiet. I also find that most of the discussion is by regular posters, making me think that the number of active participants on this board is actually quite small.

When I have ventured by accident or with purpose onto other club's message boards, I have been left with the distinct impression that far more people are posting on it than on ours.

Clubs with fanbases I would imagine to be similar to our own, for example Swansea, just seem to have much more active forums, with far more posters, threads with far more pages.

So what is it? Pinkun does seem to be identified by other fans as the main Norwich forum, so it cant be that our forumy fans are divided across different fora. It's by no means a toxic board, so I cant think people dont want to post here.

Do we just have a small fanbase? Is it that simple? I've just always found it baffling because Im not comparing us with Man Utd or anything, just clubs Id expect us to have as many fans as.

We've certainly done better than many similar clubs in terms of selling out the stadium in the last 15 years, suggesting at least a 25,000 strong commited fan base. Why do so few seem to post here?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Why do so few seem to post here?

Because it’s Norfolk and most of us still only run on 56k dial up buh. Quicker to send a carrier pigeon to deliver a quip on here. 

• Like 1

Forums are generally a dying breed. Social media has taken over the space that used to be occupied by forums. This is an observation of forums in general. Some still seem to be "lively" but generally, facespam groups seem to be more popular these days, or hashtags on twitter etc.

I suspect that a quick, brief survey of the folks on here would find that the typical poster would be male and easily at least 40+ in age. I suspect that the average age is possibly pushing closer to 60 than many would like to admit.

Go to social media and there are certainly more diversity in groups and following the club page. More women, more youngsters, more international fans etc.

3 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Because it’s Norfolk and most of us still only run on 56k dial up buh. Quicker to send a carrier pigeon to deliver a quip on here. 

And the fact that some on here openly admit to not being able to read more than three lines of text before struggling to focus... a sure sign of socialmediaitis. 

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1

This is Norfolk, we're all outside enjoying, not farting about on the hinternet.

If I lived in Swansea, I suspect I'd spend a lot more time on forums.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Forums are generally a dying breed. Social media has taken over the space that used to be occupied by forums. This is an observation of forums in general. Some still seem to be "lively" but generally, facespam groups seem to be more popular these days, or hashtags on twitter etc.

I suspect that a quick, brief survey of the folks on here would find that the typical poster would be male and easily at least 40+ in age. I suspect that the average age is possibly pushing closer to 60 than many would like to admit.

Go to social media and there are certainly more diversity in groups and following the club page. More women, more youngsters, more international fans etc.

Yeah, fair enough, I try to avoid social media where I can hence why I frequent the board, but yes accept it may simply be the format. That still doesnt explain the disparity between clubs of equal size though, unless you're telling me Norfolk has a hipper younger population than other regions?

Glad I'm not the only one that has tenuous links to supporting City.👍

I don't do fakebook but I know City twitter is quite lively and of a good size.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Glad I'm not the only one that has tenuous links to supporting City.👍

I don't do fakebook but I know City twitter is quite lively and of a good size.

I am on twitter but stopped going on a long time ago as it was bad for my health! I've seen Bethnal tweet on there

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I am on twitter but stopped going on a long time ago as it was bad for my health! I've seen Bethnal tweet on there

Yeah, it can rot your head to be fair. Bethnal, Zipper, Diane, Duncan E, Michael B and many others post regularly on there. Probably best to avoid after a loss, even more so than this place.👍

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yeah, it can rot your head to be fair. Bethnal, Zipper, Diane, Duncan E, Michael B and many others post regularly on there. Probably best to avoid after a loss, even more so than this place.👍

In what capacity do they tweet? On tweets from the club? linked by hashtags?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

In what capacity do they tweet? On tweets from the club? linked by hashtags?

A bit of all that, (and other general topics) but Michael Bailey will do live match reports and Bethnal will link to his long-form musings. Worth following as they lead onto other City fans.

38 minutes ago, chicken said:

Definitely pushing 60. Many set alarm clocks for  8am to commence posting until around midnight. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

This is Norfolk, we're all outside enjoying, not farting about on the hinternet.

If I lived in Swansea, I suspect I'd spend a lot more time on forums.

Nope, you’d be down the beach 🐳

I think you’ll find that most clubs including those much bigger than ours seem to have just one main forum board these days. Sometimes I’ll look at other club’s forums when we play them or have bought a player most have only one active board.

As another poster says message boards like this one are a dying breed.

As someone with a very similar back story to the op o think it's also partly due to the pinkun board being so bad when other boards really took off. I lurked for years and then when I went to register found out I had registered once a few years before, but, back then all of the posts were being premoderated which made actual discourse and interactivity challenging. By the time that stopped the forum bubble had started to burst with Facebook being on the scene.

The quality of the debate on Facebook is dire though, a mixture of idiots, trolls and ranters. It makes this place look like Oxbridge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The quality of the debate on Facebook is dire though, a mixture of idiots, trolls and ranters. It makes this place look like Oxbridge.

And you can only join one group if you only post hate, it’s quite pathetic 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I have to say though, for a club of Norwich's ranking in the pyramid, I have always found this board surprisingly quiet

I've always enjoyed some peace and quiet. I do like this forum or I wouldn't post here. It's nice to see regular voices not drowned out by a million others like it would be on an arsenal, spurs or man united forum. 

We shouldn't take for granted that we have a place to talk and listen to each other (within reason)

If a 100,000 members joined tomorrow I'd probably never frequent the site again but then the site would probably never recover from the amount of traffic. Permanent page not found I would think. 

If you look at followers on social media NCFC have around 5 times that of ITFC so it's not supporter base. Think it's just that none of our forums ever really gained traction. 

16 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I have to say though, for a club of Norwich's ranking in the pyramid, I have always found this board surprisingly quiet. I also find that most of the discussion is by regular posters, making me think that the number of active participants on this board is actually quite small.

More worrying is that there are far less users that you think, too.  I regularly post as 3 different accounts, and have argued with myself in the past.

Not sure if that helps matters or not, really.   But could just be 3-4 of us here, plus yourself.

Heck, it could just be me and you.  That'd be a bit weird wouldn't it?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 2

Problem with this forum is that there is a little ‘clique’ who always think they are right, stick together (whatever) then when somebody challenges something they say resort to just coming back with “BINNER’.

The age of posters shouldn’t really matter but one day it will become a problem when the coffin dodgers can’t dodge anymore.

Perhaps if we were all a bit kinder to new posters then we may get some new/younger blood on here, which will keep things going for a few years.

Anyway, enjoy the nice weather, not long until we will back at CR hopefully watching us win a lot more than last season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Problem with this forum is that there is a little ‘clique’ who always think they are right, stick together (whatever) then when somebody challenges something they say resort to just coming back with “BINNER’.

The age of posters shouldn’t really matter but one day it will become a problem when the coffin dodgers can’t dodge anymore.

Perhaps if we were all a bit kinder to new posters then we may get some new/younger blood on here, which will keep things going for a few years.

Anyway, enjoy the nice weather, not long until we will back at CR hopefully watching us win a lot more than last season.

Binner

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

Binner

You beat me to it Sam, but Pearsos does have a point. 

Edited by Greavsy

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

You beat me to it Sam, but Pearsos does have a point. 

I think if you can't take being called a binner from time to time then the internet probably isn't for you. However, you are right, the underlying point about some people attacking posters and saying that they "aren't proper fans" or similar because they didn't go to 376 matches in the last 3 weeks would discourage some people from posting. Part of the problem is also potentially the longevity of this forum and the way that certain positions have been taken and stuck to for so long that some find it impossible to engage with a point rather than the poster, the introduction of the ignore button should have helped but I get the impression some of the antagonists must enjoy the conflict....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Never mind the numbers, it's quality not quantity wot counts.

We're truly ****ed then....

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Van wink said:

Nope, you’d be down the beach 🐳

Great beach at Swansea as I recall from being a kid. But then again I'm old enough to remember riding the Mumbles Train .... ****, just gave away my age again, time to pull the duvet over.

I like that we have people on board who know the difference between a clique and a click .... but can never work out if there are brilliant punctuation wind-up merchants who pretend not to know how to use an apostrophe.