Sign in to follow this  
astro

Supe Mario moving to Rijeka on loan

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Bit odd given last I heard he was doing alright for Stoke

Maybe it’s the chance to be closer to home that appeals? 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Bit odd given last I heard he was doing alright for Stoke

Struggled for appearances a little towards the end of the season, apparently the move is more him wanting to go than them wanting him gone.

Tbf if I had the choice of a bit-part championship season in Stoke-on-Trent, or a season in lovely Riejka in a league where Josip Drmic is a lethal weapon...

This is astonishing news - the way some were talking about him I was wondering why he wasn’t in the Championship team of the season.  Perhaps the truth is he didn’t play as well as we were being told and he’d have been even worse in the PL….

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

This is astonishing news - the way some were talking about him I was wondering why he wasn’t in the Championship team of the season.  Perhaps the truth is he didn’t play as well as we were being told and he’d have been even worse in the PL….

How many dead ball goals did we score last season?

I’m definitely with Astro not wanting the tension of a late free kick against Stoke, no matter how good it would be to see him play again. 😬 Squeaky bum time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

or a season in lovely Riejka in a league where Josip Drmic is a lethal weapon...

He's definitely a weapon

38 minutes ago, essex canary said:

How many dead ball goals did we score last season?

Very few - but we weren’t exactly awash the season before (and Dowell hit one ). Let’s be honest we’ve been pretty pisspoor at set pieces/direct free kicks for years; even with Vrancic playing it was rare we’d score one. Unless you’re daft you’re not going to carry a player for 90mins just incase you get a free kick.

Edited by Branston Pickle

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Very few - but we weren’t exactly awash the season before (and Dowell hit one ). Let’s be honest we’ve been pretty pisspoor at set pieces/direct free kicks for years; even with Vrancic playing it was rare we’d score one. Unless you’re daft you’re not going to carry a player for 90mins just incase you get a free kick.

The moving ball strikes against Birmingham and Blackburn were other great memories.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I would agree with you had we replaced Vrancic/Skipp with half decent players, but it's difficult to argue any of them were an improvement on our Championship midfield. As it worked out it probably would have been better to have had Vrancic in the squad ahead of dross like Normann.

Besides which, bit disingenuous to imply Vrancic was purely a set piece on legs. He offered quite a bit more than just a decent dead ball.

Edited by Ian

An in form Mario was a wonderful sight, skilled and graceful with the ball, not really an athlete, but a lovely touch and vision too, short and incisive or long and raking ... he could do it all.

Just thinking that team assembled on peanuts, played some of the best football I seen at Carra, compare that to the team we got last season, & all those millions squandered, just makes me sad. As one person said, "A little bit of magic has left the club"

• Like 2