Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Hot Sticky Day

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

No . I was thinking about Michael Holding 

The batsman’s Willy? Hot days take us all to strange places. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Whats this about getting hot and sticky in the bath with a friend?😳

Summer of 76 Cambridgeshire. Trust me, if you’d have been around you’d have mentioned it. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Whats this about getting hot and sticky in the bath with a friend?😳

Don't... you'll be accused of being ageist again...

Quick maths. You'd probably have to be 50+ to "remember" any part of '76.

Before our times... let em have their moment... 😉😅

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Don't... you'll be accused of being ageist again...

Quick maths. You'd probably have to be 50+ to "remember" any part of '76.

Before our times... let em have their moment... 😉😅

Kit Kats (2 bar fingers) 2p and chips and beans on a tray for 8p, happy days indeed. 

33 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Kit Kats (2 bar fingers) 2p and chips and beans on a tray for 8p, happy days indeed. 

Had to go oop chimney for four and alf weeks to afford that back then... ang on! On a tray! You lucky bar stuard! We had yesterdays paper! We were sent to chip shop, brought back our chip dinner and after our dad lined us up and had us stick our tongues out to read yesterdays news! 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Anyone reminiscing about the summer of 76 and bathing with a friend? 

Not exactly, but I seem to recall standing in the garden spray stark naked . . .  I was 25 and had been living in London for about two years.  I also remember being stuck on a tube train in a tunnel between Whitechapel and Stepney Green in extreme heat for what seemed like hours.  Smoking was allowed on public transport in those days.

It was the year that the Bay City Rollers took over the world . . .

Edited by benchwarmer

76 was the best summer ever, I was 14, a few quid in my pocket from work and not a care in the world. Jaysus it was hot though, the Broads and rivers were extremely low, tonnes of tourists got stuck on mudbanks. Did it really hardly rain from April till September?' Felt like it.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Summer of 76 Cambridgeshire. Trust me, if you’d have been around you’d have mentioned it. 

Or if he had a friend!! 😊 😊 

25 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Not exactly, but I seem to recall standing in the garden spray stark naked . . .  I'd been living in London for about two years and I also remember being stuck on a tube train in a tunnel between Whitechapel and Stepney Green in extreme heat for what seemed like hours.  Smoking was allowed on public transport in those days.

Whites and tartan! Happy days indeed. 

40 minutes ago, chicken said:

Had to go oop chimney for four and alf weeks to afford that back then... ang on! On a tray! You lucky bar stuard! We had yesterdays paper! We were sent to chip shop, brought back our chip dinner and after our dad lined us up and had us stick our tongues out to read yesterdays news! 

Did you get free scratchings? 

Oof, but I hate hot weather. Anything above 20 is already a bit much for my liking.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

76 was the best summer ever, I was 14, a few quid in my pocket from work and not a care in the world. Jaysus it was hot though, the Broads and rivers were extremely low, tonnes of tourists got stuck on mudbanks. Did it really hardly rain from April till September?' Felt like it.

Didn’t rain in London for two months. The government installed Denis Howell as Minister for Drought and within days the heavens opened and he was made Minister of Floods  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Didn’t rain in London for two months. The government installed Denis Howell as Minister for Drought and within days the heavens opened and he was made Minister of Floods  😀

And just to complete the misery ( as we Brits can do better than any other Nationality) the draymen in London went on strike and there was no beer to be had - just warm Guinness.

Camping on the coast at Eccles, picking strawberries for ££ and watching Wimbledon on the TV in the little games room. 

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Oof, but I hate hot weather. Anything above 20 is already a bit much for my liking.

Me too, have never understood the love of hot weather. 

Edited by kdncfc

In 76 as a pubescent young lad living in an arid and hotbed Cornwall nursing a bruised rump, scuffed elbows and knees after attempting to master the latest craze on a jam-packed newly constructed skateboard park....Then kicking that into touch and becoming a brine swallowing miserable wipeout failure at surfing.....Plenty of holidaying young fillies though, to take my mind off my pathetic attempts to do a halfpipe on concrete - or a cutback on the surf.... 

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Me too. As it happens I have an obscure medical condition which among other things means that my body's inbuilt thermostat doesn't work properly, so on Friday I stayed indoors all day in my (north-facing) flat and had a good rest.  As you say, 20's plenty.

11 hours ago, chicken said:

Disappointing effort Chicken my boy . Humour isn’t really your thing . 3/10 

5 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Me too. As it happens I have an obscure medical condition which among other things means that my body's inbuilt thermostat doesn't work properly, so on Friday I stayed indoors all day in my (north-facing) flat and had a good rest.  As you say, 20's plenty.

With me, a lot of that is due to being fairly active. I don't like running in anything much above 15, and prefer it around 5. Somehow, though, I just seem to naturally produce a lot of heat even when I'm at rest, although with age I do realise I'm not quite as 'hot' as I was.

Reminds me of a story back in October 2012 (so in my early thirties then), stood on the starting line at the Frankfurt Marathon. I went out on a cold day (probably not much above freezing, but can't remember exactly), in a black T-shirt, black shorts, black socks. No hat, no gloves, bottle containing my glucose tablets and gels, and that was it. Got chatting to a couple of fellow starters in my pen, both in running jackets, leggings, the whole shebang. They asked if I was cold and I said it was fresh, but I'll be sweating after a mile so no need to have extra gear on, and where I come from we're pretty tough in cold weather anyway (Bolton).

One of them lived in Oslo, the other in Reykjavik.

1 hour ago, kdncfc said:

It’s better than being cold, I think the majority of us hate that more. Anything 25-35 degrees is great IMHO. I wouldn’t want to be working in it mind you.

How do you two feel about saunas? I love them too, have been contemplating trying to build one in the garden.

Edited by Nuff Said

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s better than being cold, I think the majority of us hate that more.

At least if you're cold you can add some extra layers. It was almost impossible to cool down last night with the outside temperature still 27 at 11 pm. As the Gunn show said low 20's is more than hot enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdncfc said:

Anything under 25 degrees and I've got my coat on, the hotter the better for me. We spent 76 floating around the local rivers on repaired(by ourselves) lorry innertubes eating bags of 2 1/2p golden wonder crisps.

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s better than being cold, I think the majority of us hate that more. Anything 25-35 degrees is great IMHO. I wouldn’t want to be working in it mind you.

How do you two feel about saunas? I love them too, have been contemplating trying to build one in the garden.

Bit like hot tubs. It's probably cheaper to build than having to take out a second mortgage to run the thing.

18 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Not exactly, but I seem to recall standing in the garden spray stark naked . . .  I was 25 and had been living in London for about two years.  I also remember being stuck on a tube train in a tunnel between Whitechapel and Stepney Green in extreme heat for what seemed like hours.  Smoking was allowed on public transport in those days.

The Rollers were pretty much done by 76, 74 and 75 were their most successful years.

29 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Bit like hot tubs. It's probably cheaper to build than having to take out a second mortgage to run the thing.

I’m with you on hot tubs, I was hoping a cheapish wood burning stove would do for home-brew sauna. Then it would just be the cost of a few logs when I used it.