Bert

Old farm friendly

56 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Absolutely bonkers. Sounds like a punch up waiting to happen. 

Sup up your beer and collect your fags . 

There’s a row going on, down near Scole?

Not quite got the same ring has it though 🥺😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

No such thing as an Old Farm friendly.... it a contradiction in terms....

It'll be a much bigger deal for the binners that's for sure, and should they win there's every likelihood of a full page of gloat on TWTD. 

I don't think an Ipswich victory will quite lead to another star on their shirt or even the commissioning of another statue (of the winning goalscorer,) but they will surely elevate it into a major victory, talk about it for years and consider themselves to be once again the "Pride of Anglia."

Somewhere in the narrative, there will be mention of the "glory days" under Bobby Robson. Any excuse for that.

It's what they do. 

10 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Can't see this anywhere?

It’s on Twtd list of confirmed friendlies 

I think we need to move on from this.

I get that there is history and geography involved  but this is no longer the ball park we should be playing in.

It's over 13 years since this was a competitive fixture and even at their recent peak Ipswich couldn't get a single victory in four attempts in one season. Even in school sixth forms and further education colleges there is probably no one with anything other than a hazy and disjointed memory of there being any actual competition involved in the derby series. That'san entire generation that probably can't quite understand why we care.

This nostalgia is holding us back.

The 'as long as we beat ipswich'  attitude is one reason we cant get established  in the prem and are content witha  small, asymmetric stadium.

Let's instead compare ourselves to the bigger fish in the local pond - I'm thinking Leicester and Peterbrough and maybe the more dynamic clubs, like Cambridge, Lincoln or Colchester.

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

It's quite a big deal actually. Will this be behind closed doors?

Might be a good time to give Andy O, Tzolis, Springett, Rowe and Idah a run out 😜

14 hours ago, splendidrush said:

No such thing as an Old Farm friendly.... it a contradiction in terms....

Quite so - a bit like "Artificial Intelligence".

7 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I think we need to move on from this.

I get that there is history and geography involved  but this is no longer the ball park we should be playing in.

It's over 13 years since this was a competitive fixture and even at their recent peak Ipswich couldn't get a single victory in four attempts in one season. Even in school sixth forms and further education colleges there is probably no one with anything other than a hazy and disjointed memory of there being any actual competition involved in the derby series. That'san entire generation that probably can't quite understand why we care.

This nostalgia is holding us back.

The 'as long as we beat ipswich'  attitude is one reason we cant get established  in the prem and are content witha  small, asymmetric stadium.

Let's instead compare ourselves to the bigger fish in the local pond - I'm thinking Leicester and Peterbrough and maybe the more dynamic clubs, like Cambridge, Lincoln or Colchester.

Ok, this kind of rhetoric has to stop. To imply that the likes of Cambridge are bigger than our East Anglian rivals is just ridiculous. Every time I pass their stadium, I reflect on their glorious history and accept that perhaps their future will be glorious too.

It's with trepidation that I approach even the whisper of a fixture with our Southern neighbours. Perhaps they aren't our equal but they are at least a respectable rival. 

As for their supporters, sure, they are below us on the footballing pyramid at the moment, but they know as we well know the fundamentals of the club are strong and that with such a dynamic fan base putting pressure on management they could well challenge us for the pride of Anglia. 

Ultimately, I hate the way that we can no longer understand their contribution to football in our region, and I respect those who day in, day out show their loyalty to (even if they are not my club), Diss town.

Edited by 1902
  • Haha 1