cambridgeshire canary

Liverpools first match next season? Fulham.

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Liverpool simply have to complain that the match isn’t at Anfield. 

I think with the rebuild of the stand where the away fans are, the existing roof is just about to be taken off as the new one slots in behind (perfect model for the City Stand re-build by the way), they asked for the first match to be away. So they got everything they asked for!

Like we have asked for our first match to be away, apparently, because of last night's concert getting in the way of pitch preparation.  So away to Wigan / Rotherham / Sunderland for the first match boys! 😉 

Edited by shefcanary

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I think with the rebuild of the stand where the away fans are, the existing roof is just about to be taken off as the new one slots in behind (perfect model for the City Stand re-build by the way), they asked for the first match to be away. So they got everything they asked for!

Like we have asked for our first match to be away, apparently, because of last night's concert getting in the way of pitch preparation.  So away to Wigan / Rotherham / Sunderland for the first match boys! 😉 

Personally, I would be delighted with any of those. Not been to a game for two seasons because of Covid and how it affects my household, but (assuming this new strain doesn’t get any worse) I am back up for it this season. I can’t wait! OTBC!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Also Brentford Man City last match of the season.. Interesting

Brutal May- Liverpool A, West Ham H, Spurs A, City H. Going to be a real battle securing a Champions League spot!

Liverpool playing away first game is one everyone who’s been as an away fan at Anfield with a restricted view seat should welcome. It was the first time I’ve been disgusted by the greed of a club in selling a seat where the only way to have any idea of what was happening in the match was to listen to the radio commentary. Sooner they take that roof off and rebuild the better!

E83AFC1B-83AD-4DFE-94AD-45C2017081F6.jpeg

It’s never their fault and they swear on their nans life it ain’t 

they also ask if any of us have got a quid because they have lost their wallet and need to get a bus home.

also, has anyone got a spare cig?

The algorhythm is the factor here. The fixtures are supposed to be random, but they are clearly not. The parameters put in to the algorhythm are set up in a way that puts top v newly promoted at the start and end of the season too often for it to be a co-incidence. Yet another case of computerisation proving useless imo.  

Its not random. Indeed this year they've admitted that again by agreeing to a demand from Southgate to ensure that none of the "big 6" teams face each other in the lead up to the World Cup.

In terms of the opening fixtures I've posted an article on here before that explains it but essentially due to the way the TV deal is structured they have to give the tv companies at least one game in each match week that involves two of the top 6 or 8 teams other than (I think) the first and last weekends of the season. So for that reason the top teams always get an easy starting and usually finishing fixture. Which in my view is not right - we saw first hand last season what a tough start can do for confidence and momentum. We've never been able to take any of the latter into the prem with us because we usually get a couple of hidings in our openings fixtures. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its not random. Indeed this year they've admitted that again by agreeing to a demand from Southgate to ensure that none of the "big 6" teams face each other in the lead up to the World Cup.

In terms of the opening fixtures I've posted an article on here before that explains it but essentially due to the way the TV deal is structured they have to give the tv companies at least one game in each match week that involves two of the top 6 or 8 teams other than (I think) the first and last weekends of the season. So for that reason the top teams always get an easy starting and usually finishing fixture. Which in my view is not right - we saw first hand last season what a tough start can do for confidence and momentum. We've never been able to take any of the latter into the prem with us because we usually get a couple of hidings in our openings fixtures. 

Thanks for this information. So it's not even computers to blame. Basically, the fixtures are made for the protection of big clubs and TV companies. I kind of knew that intuitively but had no idea it was so blatant. VAR and more subs is part of that too.

It is no longer a true sport....it's a kind of manipulated and manufactured entetrtainment geared to keeping the status quo of big clubs and TV companies.   The balance between it being sport/entertainment has gone.

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Also Brentford Man City last match of the season.. Interesting

Why

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That's four times in a row now they are all set to play a newly promoted team on their first match of the season.. Must be nice

Stinks to high heaven. How can that be coincidence ? 

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The algorhythm is the factor here. The fixtures are supposed to be random, but they are clearly not. The parameters put in to the algorhythm are set up in a way that puts top v newly promoted at the start and end of the season too often for it to be a co-incidence. Yet another case of computerisation proving useless imo.  

Lakey, can you not see the irony here? 
(Hint: you have a post count of over 21,000)

Also, it’s algorithm, not algorhythm. 

Yours pedantically.

7 hours ago, aBee said:

Brutal May- Liverpool A, West Ham H, Spurs A, City H. Going to be a real battle securing a Champions League spot!

Liverpool playing away first game is one everyone who’s been as an away fan at Anfield with a restricted view seat should welcome. It was the first time I’ve been disgusted by the greed of a club in selling a seat where the only way to have any idea of what was happening in the match was to listen to the radio commentary. Sooner they take that roof off and rebuild the better!

E83AFC1B-83AD-4DFE-94AD-45C2017081F6.jpeg

Admit it, you’re four feet tall. 😉

TBF, there was a CCTV box or something last time hanging from the roof of the stand that perfectly obscured my view of the far goal. Fortunately I have the ability to move slightly to one side.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Who gives a toss this is a Norwich City forum

As the O/P pointed out, it's four times in a row that Liverpool have faced a newly promoted side for their opening,

Norwich City were involved in two of those fixtures. Many feel that our tough start (particularly last season) did us no favours, dented the confidence of team and management alike and may have had some bearing upon our abject season. Would we have subsequently fared any better if we had faced a faltering (very) Newcastle for the kick-off to that season?

It does appear to be a bit of a carve-up and not co-incidental.

(On the plus side, the Canaries did get maximum and instant global exposure.)