Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You could well be right, you certainly are about how his situation looks, from the outside at least. 

I neither give two hoots about his hairstyle ( corn rows do look silly though) Tattoos etc etc.... And I also just want what's best for the club.

I'd love to see an open apology and a return to hard work from him....I'm not , however, holding my breath.

Yer I'm the same regarding his hair styles etc, couldn't care less. I like him as a player when he's on it. I just think too much has gone on now and it's probably best for all parties he moves on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reality is that none of us know exactly what has gone on between Cantwell and the club. What we do know, is that a previous occupant of the number 14 shirt once described the club to a television reporter as "fu*cking sh*it", but was given a chance to redeem himself on the pitch; which he did to the universal joy of all concerned. Cantwell has never bad-mouthed the club in that way, doesn't he deserve the same opportunity of redemption? The win-win situation is that he recovers the form that we know can win matches. If he does this, he will once again become a playing asset worth millions. I fail to see how fans constantly carping about his trivial lifestyle choices does anything but hamper this win-win scenario.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horsefly said:

The reality is that none of us know exactly what has gone on between Cantwell and the club. What we do know, is that a previous occupant of the number 14 shirt once described the club to a television reporter as "fu*cking sh*it", but was given a chance to redeem himself on the pitch; which he did to the universal joy of all concerned. Cantwell has never bad-mouthed the club in that way, doesn't he deserve the same opportunity of redemption? The win-win situation is that he recovers the form that we know can win matches. If he does this, he will once again become a playing asset worth millions. I fail to see how fans constantly carping about his trivial lifestyle choices does anything but hamper this win-win scenario.

I keep hearing that Cantwell might be worth many millions again.

His contract expires at the end this season, if he rediscovers form he'll be leaving for £0. 

Nobody will buy him this summer so if we can squeeze something out of him before then... great. But forget about the millions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, horsefly said:

The reality is that none of us know exactly what has gone on between Cantwell and the club. What we do know, is that a previous occupant of the number 14 shirt once described the club to a television reporter as "fu*cking sh*it", but was given a chance to redeem himself on the pitch; which he did to the universal joy of all concerned. Cantwell has never bad-mouthed the club in that way, doesn't he deserve the same opportunity of redemption? The win-win situation is that he recovers the form that we know can win matches. If he does this, he will once again become a playing asset worth millions. I fail to see how fans constantly carping about his trivial lifestyle choices does anything but hamper this win-win scenario.

Exactly my stance. It's almost as if some want to be proven right to the detriment of the player. Sadly (a reflection of Todd's headspace / the potential of wasted potential and not their views) they look likely to be proven so.

I find his use of social media a bit enigmatic/baffling, and I think it speaks volumes that a manager such as Farke, who was the architect of many of our younger players getting going (and indeed was with Cantwell too), couldn't keep getting a tune out of him. For me, he really has to refocus. There's genuine class in him as a player, but his mindset seems to be his weak link.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I keep hearing that Cantwell might be worth many millions again.

His contract expires at the end this season, if he rediscovers form he'll be leaving for £0. 

Nobody will buy him this summer so if we can squeeze something out of him before then... great. But forget about the millions.

That's not necessarily true. If he recovers his form, and is shown he is really appreciated here, he might be persuaded to sign a new contract (think again of the Hoolahan situation). Also if he shows scintillating form in pre-season and early season he may well prompt clubs to cough up cash before the summer deadline in order to beat the January scramble.

Sadly, I suspect that the tone of many comments on here will be reflected by some on the terraces the first time Cantwell makes an error. Thus I suspect you will eventually be proved right that he will be off for **** all. Nothing like fans inflicting self-harm on the club because they don't like a young man's haircut.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I remember watching an interview he did a few years back and getting the impression that he was a thin skinned tw@ but not not entirely thick. 

I could obviously be misreading him but I think he knows what he's doing.

 

Wasn't the Dafabet one along with Buendia, was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I remember watching an interview he did a few years back and getting the impression that he was a thin skinned tw@ but not not entirely thick. 

I could obviously be misreading him but I think he knows what he's doing.

 

Imagine if every club drove out its "thin skinned twa*ts", I wonder how many could still field a full squad come Saturday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Sadly, I suspect that the tone of many comments on here will be reflected by some on the terraces the first time Cantwell makes an error. Thus I suspect you will eventually be proved right that he will be off for **** all. Nothing like fans inflicting self-harm on the club because they don't like a young man's haircut.

Cantwell isn't likeable, and that's why he isn't liked.

Aarons is likeable, and that's why he is liked.

It isn't the fans fault that Cantwell is such an attention seeking self-absorbed shallow idiot, and I don't actually want to see him in our shirt, I'm hoping an overseas club loans him for the last year of his contract. His downward trajectory is his own fault.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I keep hearing that Cantwell might be worth many millions again.

His contract expires at the end this season, if he rediscovers form he'll be leaving for £0. 

Nobody will buy him this summer so if we can squeeze something out of him before then... great. But forget about the millions.

This is the issue and always has been I think he has made it clear he won’t be signing a new contract. I assume this helps his negotiating position when looking to leave the club. That makes me chuckle though when have Norwich not sold players we always sell players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Cantwell isn't likeable, and that's why he isn't liked.

Aarons is likeable, and that's why he is liked.

It isn't the fans fault that Cantwell is such an attention seeking self-absorbed shallow idiot, and I don't actually want to see him in our shirt, I'm hoping an overseas club loans him for the last year of his contract. His downward trajectory is his own fault.

So the new team selection policy should be based on "likeability" criteria rather than footballing talent? Wow! And just what do you and others not like about him? Is it because he has posted racists or homophobic tweets? No! Is it because he has slagged off the club (like Hoolahan did)? No! Is it because he has slagged off fellow players, or the fans? No! It seems he is unlikeable because he has the arrogance to flash off his wealthy lifestyle with a few trivial post on social media. What a basta*rd! Rip that yellow shirt from off his back.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

This is the issue and always has been I think he has made it clear he won’t be signing a new contract. I assume this helps his negotiating position when looking to leave the club. That makes me chuckle though when have Norwich not sold players we always sell players.

Source for this? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Source for this? 

As always just my own thoughts there is no real evidence to back it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So the new team selection policy should be based on "likeability" criteria rather than footballing talent? Wow! And just what do you and others not like about him? Is it because he has posted racists or homophobic tweets? No! Is it because he has slagged off the club (like Hoolahan did)? No! Is it because he has slagged off fellow players, or the fans? No! It seems he is unlikeable because he has the arrogance to flash off his wealthy lifestyle with a few trivial post on social media. What a basta*rd! Rip that yellow shirt from off his back.

I can see both arguments. I agree that in the grand scheme of things his social media stuff shows a deeply insecure man but not someone who is malicious. His lack of responsibility last season however is a problem, he should have been taking over Buendia’s role and showing he is a great player, for what reason he produced nothing and two managers decided to give up on him.

We try and have a ‘no d**kheads’ rule when buying players, but what is someone in the academy is one? I’m not saying he is or isn’t, but it’s a difficult situation because they are already in the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather he went somewhere else now. Too much baggage for him and us. Get away from the Norfolk goldfish bowl and just concentrate on football. He had that chance at Bnmth and  hope he learned something from that experience - even if it is that he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Smith will have the decision to make - can he work with TC or maybe he has already made his mind up about him that he won't fit what he wants.  It's all a bit tedious now - haters are going to hate, others think he needs supporting, others are just trying to see things resolved, but really as always it boils down to the man himself. Basically we all - including Todd probably - just want to focus on him playing football. Everything he does off the pitch is open to interpretation, I won't go into it all as it's all been said, but even his going round giving gifts to people in Dereham has both a generous or narcssististic side to it, depending on what your agenda is. 

It all boils down to football. All I want to see from him is him playing football, either for us or someone else. Keep his private life private and we could all move on.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid for two of my grandsons to tour the ground, meet the players etc on the day of Chris Hughton's first home match against QPR. 

We met most of the players and all were smiling and happy to have photos taken with us apart from Grant Holt who was quite brusque. So we were left with an interpretation of him that could have been quite different to most others. But we didn't because we accepted he may well have had a reason.

So why don't we cut Todd some slack and look forward to one our own regaining his mojo.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember saying a couple of years that a big difference between Cantwell and the other young prospects like Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis was that the latter three were motivated by being the best footballers they could be possibly be, and if fame and popularity came with it, then great. With Cantwell, it seems the other way round: he just wants to be famous and loved, and football is merely the vehicle to achieve this. 

I'm not sure whether it's just a self-confidence issue with Cantwell where he craves (and needs) constant reassurance, because his social media profile seems to indicate that. It smacks of a desire to be loved and a need to gain followers. And if I'm not mistaken, he has been quite successful with this as he does seem to have quite a lot of social media followers for a player of his level.

That isn't necessarily a dig at Cantwell, by the way. If that's the way he is, then so be it. It's just that in doing this, he seems to have alienated the people that should be the ones who appreciate him the most, which would be his head coach(es) and the fans. They seem to be sick of his nonsense and have generally turned against him as his career has nosedived over the past 12 months. 

Ultimately, I think too much water has passed under the bridge here and a cut-price move this summer, even for a few hundred grand, would be best for all parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s already been mentioned but we’ll probably get answers pretty soon. If he comes back in after clearly having worked hard in the down-time as he did once before, then tears it up in pre-season, that’s a better situation for all concerned than an out of sorts alienated player, whatever the end result. If he doesn’t figure much in the build-up well that’s as good as saying come and get him. Either way it could be sorted but, for what it’s worth, I’d like to see him prove us all wrong and do the former. On another thread posters have been looking forward to the new season – I’m looking forward to this pre-season more than I can remember, there’s so many questions needing answers throughout the squad which suggests games will be much more than training outings.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Guess who’s back? 
Back again . 
Cantwell’s back 

Tell a friend 

He’s created a monster 

cos nobody wants Toddy no more they want Emi 

He’s chopped liver 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I remember saying a couple of years that a big difference between Cantwell and the other young prospects like Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis was that the latter three were motivated by being the best footballers they could be possibly be, and if fame and popularity came with it, then great. With Cantwell, it seems the other way round: he just wants to be famous and loved, and football is merely the vehicle to achieve this. 

I'm not sure whether it's just a self-confidence issue with Cantwell where he craves (and needs) constant reassurance, because his social media profile seems to indicate that. It smacks of a desire to be loved and a need to gain followers. And if I'm not mistaken, he has been quite successful with this as he does seem to have quite a lot of social media followers for a player of his level.

That isn't necessarily a dig at Cantwell, by the way. If that's the way he is, then so be it. It's just that in doing this, he seems to have alienated the people that should be the ones who appreciate him the most, which would be his head coach(es) and the fans. They seem to be sick of his nonsense and have generally turned against him as his career has nosedived over the past 12 months. 

Ultimately, I think too much water has passed under the bridge here and a cut-price move this summer, even for a few hundred grand, would be best for all parties.

Exactly i think if Aarons signed for a top club he would still be as professional and as private as he is now 

Todd Craves attention you do not need to post anything on social media do your training and play well 

he reminds me of a Sad tv celebrity they spend their lives trying to get the limelight and fame then it can go seriously wrong and i feel sad this is the road Todd is on

he is more hurt when he is out of the limelight otherwise he would lead a quiet life with a girlfriend / wife training hard and playing for his boyhood club 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Cantwell is a bit of a bell end. I don't really care to be honest, I don't want him to be my mate, I want him to perform well. So welcome back, if you can perform, I don't care.

The big problem is, he thinks he's much better than he is. He will unfortunately never reach higher than us in my opinion, as he has the physicality of a 12 year old girl and his ability is not enough to make up for that deficiency. If he had a Godfrey speed and strength, his ceiling would be much higher.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Yer I'm the same regarding his hair styles etc, couldn't care less. I like him as a player when he's on it. I just think too much has gone on now and it's probably best for all parties he moves on.

Though I agree that this is what will probably happen, I'd just love him to sort it out.... However, I'm a realist and he's not shown much this last year to make me think otherwise. Big shame, for us and for him.... The kid has talent but not as much as it appears that he thinks he has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, horsefly said:

That's not necessarily true. If he recovers his form, and is shown he is really appreciated here, he might be persuaded to sign a new contract (think again of the Hoolahan situation). Also if he shows scintillating form in pre-season and early season he may well prompt clubs to cough up cash before the summer deadline in order to beat the January scramble.

Sadly, I suspect that the tone of many comments on here will be reflected by some on the terraces the first time Cantwell makes an error. Thus I suspect you will eventually be proved right that he will be off for **** all. Nothing like fans inflicting self-harm on the club because they don't like a young man's haircut.

God, I think he will love having this as a good excuse to be utterly ****. The fans like me that don’t rate him are surely determining that he is damaging to the club and by keeping him is self harming. If I can speed up his departure by getting in his case for being poor then I’ll be glad because I see it is in the interest of the club. Looks like DF, DS agree and also looked like Scott Parker felt similarly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

So, Cantwell is a bit of a bell end. I don't really care to be honest, I don't want him to be my mate, I want him to perform well. So welcome back, if you can perform, I don't care.

The big problem is, he thinks he's much better than he is. He will unfortunately never reach higher than us in my opinion, as he has the physicality of a 12 year old girl and his ability is not enough to make up for that deficiency. If he had a Godfrey speed and strength, his ceiling would be much higher.

I know a lot of 12 year old girls that would be very insulted by this comparison 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

God, I think he will love having this as a good excuse to be utterly ****. The fans like me that don’t rate him are surely determining that he is damaging to the club and by keeping him is self harming. If I can speed up his departure by getting in his case for being poor then I’ll be glad because I see it is in the interest of the club. Looks like DF, DS agree and also looked like Scott Parker felt similarly. 

Yep! Let that be a warning to any other monster at the club who dares to think it would be ok for him to post a picture of his new haircut on social media. Will somebody think of the children!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wasn't the Dafabet one along with Buendia, was it?

No, he did one with Talk Norwich CIty where he sat down and spoke with them for an hour.

On cirrent form I'm looking forward to part 2 of that interview in 5 years time where we're playing against him in a pre season game at Kings Lynn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

No, he did one with Talk Norwich CIty where he sat down and spoke with them for an hour.

On cirrent form I'm looking forward to part 2 of that interview in 5 years time where we're playing against him in a pre season game at Kings Lynn.

When the money runs out and too old to be a male model, what’s he then going to do ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, horsefly said:

So the new team selection policy should be based on "likeability" criteria rather than footballing talent? Wow! And just what do you and others not like about him? Is it because he has posted racists or homophobic tweets? No! Is it because he has slagged off the club (like Hoolahan did)? No! Is it because he has slagged off fellow players, or the fans? No! It seems he is unlikeable because he has the arrogance to flash off his wealthy lifestyle with a few trivial post on social media. What a basta*rd! Rip that yellow shirt from off his back.

He stopped being selected by Farke, Smith and then Parker because his performances were dreadful, for no other reason, your rants are irrational, stop trying to find a way to blame Norwich fans for Cantwell ruining his own career. Norwich fans have shown you that they can cope with flashy or arrogant, Bellamy and Maddison off the top of my head, the difference is that they both worked very hard to push on in their careers and were never anything less than 100 percent committed the cause whilst being paid by the club. Cantwell has really let himself down.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Guess who’s back? 
Back again . 
Cantwell’s back 

Tell a friend 

He’s created a monster 

cos nobody wants Toddy no more they want Emi 

He’s chopped liver 

So NCFC won't let me be, 

Or let me be me, so let me see

They tried to shuv me off to AFCB

But I'll be off to Hull on a f*cking free! 

Edited by NFN FC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He stopped being selected by Farke, Smith and then Parker because his performances were dreadful, for no other reason, your rants are irrational, stop trying to find a way to blame Norwich fans for Cantwell ruining his own career. Norwich fans have shown you that they can cope with flashy or arrogant, Bellamy and Maddison off the top of my head, the difference is that they both worked very hard to push on in their careers and were never anything less than 100 percent committed the cause whilst being paid by the club. Cantwell has really let himself down.

Hahaha! It was you that wrote, "It isn't the fans fault that Cantwell is such an attention seeking self-absorbed shallow idiot, and I don't actually want to see him in our shirt,", and you call me irrational; classic! Not picking him because he is out of form is entirely rational, not picking him because he is "an attention seeking self-absorbed idiot" is the very epitome of irrationality. It follows from your comment that if Ronaldo had been a City player, you wouldn't have picked him either. I'll stick to footballing criteria regarding selection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...