3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

What did we win though? 

The admiration and respect of our friends and peers. Which in the end is the greatest prize of all. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

The admiration and respect of our friends and peers. Which in the end is the greatest prize of all. 

You’ve got me with a catchy quote there. I’m sold 😂

I forget, did the final at Wembley and the conduct of some of our ‘fans’ instil much respect and admiration from the world of football? A little birdie is telling me some people got a bit drugged up, rushed the place and we got beaten playing crap football by a team doing it better than us. Italy got the trophy, we got…….. to play in Wolverhampton behind closed doors. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The real world cup was the friends we made on the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wish I could just put this down to fatigue but I fear its slightly more alarming than that

Southgate had a commodity that international managers always complain they dont have enough of....time

He's had 2 weeks working with these players and 4 games to carry out any gameplan

He also had barring Chilwell and Shaw a fully fit squad to choose from , he himself decided to rest Jordan Henderson

What we've seen as a result of those efforts is 4 games where we've offered absolutely zero goal threat and shown no coherance whatsover, culminating in that pitiful sham tonight.

Managed to lose to Hungary twice, a tepid display against an Italy 'B' team and whilst the draw away in Germany was a good result, the performance was poor and Germany should have had us out of sight before we were bailed out by a penalty

World cups only come around every 4 yrs. Lets not waste this one with Southgate in charge

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Aka, “being proud” in defeat and no trophies. That’s the only thing England seem to win these days.

First time in history that England have conceded 4+ goals without reply.

Edited by KernowCanary

Today's result might be embarrassing, but England does not need to be in top form now, and NL means nothing in terms of the World Cup.   I'd stick with Southgate at least for the remaining two NL games.  

Does anyone genuinely care about the Nations League?

It has to be one of the worst creations of FIFA in the last decade at least. They wanted to make friendlies more competitive. Instead we have a very crap system for testing out players on the international stage. It's awful. Such a poor concept.

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Does anyone genuinely care about the Nations League?

It has to be one of the worst creations of FIFA in the last decade at least. They wanted to make friendlies more competitive. Instead we have a very crap system for testing out players on the international stage. It's awful. Such a poor concept.

It was UEFAs idea. At least all the national teams on the continent play in this, instead of teams finishing 17th in their domestic league and qualify for the Intertwobob Cup.

That has to be is UEFAs worse creation, with this coming second. Seeding pots for qualifiers should be done based on how teams perform in this competition, then maybe they’d take it more seriously.

Edited by KernowCanary

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Anyone could do it! Apart from any England manager in the last 50 years!

As I said, moronic.

Are you deliberately missing the point because it saves having to counter it?

8 hours ago, king canary said:

Anyone could do it! Apart from any England manager in the last 50 years!

As I said, moronic.

No England manager in those 50 years had the luck of the draw Southgate had, only Woy and McLaren would have struggled to beat Croatia, I'm fairly certain all the others win that competition with that draw. 

If you're not getting that then fine, but calling people moronic is hypocrisy of the highest order. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. The Nations League - Is Nonsense. Whether Southgate  took it seriously or not. My question is :  Does he now know his Best Starting Eleven, and Formation ?

• Like 1

Fatigue or not England should have had something about them to get at least one win against Hungary. What we saw was poor preparation from Southgate allied to questionable team selections. Whilst I can see the need to try different players, personally I would have gone for building momentum ahead of an imminent World Cup.

Only 2 games between now and Qatar and Southgate has landed England in the worst possible place. The only good thing is it's a massive wake up call to him and the players. Here's hoping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walcombe canary said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. The Nations League - Is Nonsense. Whether Southgate  took it seriously or not. My question is :  Does he now know his Best Starting Eleven, and Formation ?

No, I don't think he has finalised it yet but being as all our best players are attack minded, strikers and midfielders, I am sure his formation will be a variation of five defenders and two defensive midfielders as usual.

Southgate has helped England to 2 of their best 4 ever results.  We have under performed in the latest games, games which no one really cared about, where we have given several players their debuts.  Personally I find Southgates football a bit dull, but he is clearly pretty good at managing the squad and has got two really enjoyable tournament performances out of them.  Let's get a few signings in the door, and leave move onto the next season.

I don't understand the fatigue point - haven't the players for Hungary, Italy and Germany also played full seasons (or is it  just the argument the premier league is 'tougher' than any other league?... it's not as hard as the championship!)

Southgate is such a negative and drab manager and is not getting the best out of a potentially great squad. Given the favourable draw in euros and the early lead taken in the final we should have won it - possible best chance England will have to win a trophy in my life and I'm convinced that with a more positive and tactically astute manager we would've done.

I'd sack him now so new manager has 2 game warm up for world cup.

No chance FA will do that though as they have a nice yes man which is perfect for them.

12 hours ago, king canary said:

The idea we should be binning off our most successful manager in 50 years because we've looked a bit **** in the ****ing Nations League, a tournament that didn't exist 5 years ago is the height of short term knee jerkism. 

A silly show of solidarity. 

A lot of your posts make sense but that's daft as hell. He's lost the players. 

Whether the tournament existed 5 years ago has no bearing on a dreadful result. 

Trust me, if he's still in charge come the world cup it will be a disaster. 

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Would anyone object if we offered Deano as a replacement for Southgate?

If it meant Southgate came here surely everyone would. 

I'm a bit baffled that people are surprised by England's results. Yes, they've managed a semi final and final in the last 2 tournaments but the average ranking of teams beaten has been around 17. In other words, the draws have been very kind. I'm struggling to remember the last time England beat a top 8 team 

• Like 1

These type of games are an opportunity for fringe and future prospects to show their ability against international opposition....and also to give 'Gareth nicey nice nice' a selection headache for the forthcoming Worldy Cuppy.....  

Unfortunately and like our squad's smattering of England seniors & regulars, them newbies just huffed and puffed like ickle boy's lost....

Being selected to represent your Country at international level should make you proud as you put on that international shirt.....

Although I personally think they would be far happier pulling on their budgie smugglers, slapping on a low factor sun cream and with trendy beer in hand swanning around a pool in Dubai..."Hey guyz check out them babes...y'know it's just like Lurve Island".....

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm a bit baffled that people are surprised by England's results. Yes, they've managed a semi final and final in the last 2 tournaments but the average ranking of teams beaten has been around 17. In other words, the draws have been very kind. I'm struggling to remember the last time England beat a top 8 team 

"Southgate steered England to their first knockout win over Germany in 55 years when they last met, the 2-0 win at Wembley last June securing their place in the last eight of Euro 2020." 

Were Germany top 8 then, though?

• Like 1

I've never been a Southgate fan - right up there with Chris Hughton as a "pragmatic" manager. He has probably got the most exciting squad we've evr had available to him and he produces very little.

People point at the Germany result as if it is vindication - remember Muller missing an open goal at 1-0? It was a very touch and go victory against a pretty poor Germany team. We then managed to lose against a very average Croatia after being ahead. We drew with Italy also after being ahead. For a manger who sets up not to lose, not being able to hold a lead is concerning. Defensively we are an absolute shambles.

The Nations League doesn't matter at all, but England performances do. Last night was embarrassing - up there with anything Norwich produced last season. No plan in evidence. Bringing on Maguire for the last 5 minutes was completely baffling.

If it were me, I'd get rid now but the FA will happily point to the last two tournaments as success - even though we should have won both of them.

• Like 3

Hungary were streetwise, we were not - they relished the challenge, we did not - and as a result we looked like a bunch of over rated, overpaid, molly coddled softies. Did Gareth not prepare the team correctly?  Were they not motivated in the right way by the management? Defensively we were all over the place, midfield we were outfought and gave them too much space - when we had the ball they surrounded us often with three players, when they had the ball, we were lucky if one of our players were near them.

Someone said this is the only time we've been beaten by four or more with no reply - ever.  If that is right, it represents a low point of the national team. I haven't really followed the England team that much as whenever I have watched them under Southgate, it has been so dull.  I had only intended to look in on this briefly, but ended up watching it all, with a kind of fascination at how good Hungary looked and how desperately ordinary we were. I actually enjoyed watching Hungary - they were everything we weren't. 

• Like 2

I thought England looked really good in the 2018 world cup...right up to the second half of the semi-final when Croatia changed tactics and Southgate had no response.

That single game seems.to have changed his entire approach to management and since then we have been on a downward tragectory.  Yes, I know we got to the finals at the Euros, but it was at home and we had a pretty easy draw.  We were pretty dull throughout the tournament.

We have played exactly the same way now for 4 years and I think we have been rumbled.  Sides know how to play against us (and worryingly fluster us).  Last night's result has been coming for a while.

Without a change to our approach, we will continue to struggle to score and we will continue to concede cheap goals.

Question is, does Southgate have the nous to change the system.  Personally, I doubt it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scot-e-dog said:

I thought England looked really good in the 2018 world cup...right up to the second half of the semi-final when Croatia changed tactics and Southgate had no response.

That single game seems.to have changed his entire approach to management and since then we have been on a downward tragectory.  Yes, I know we got to the finals at the Euros, but it was at home and we had a pretty easy draw.  We were pretty dull throughout the tournament.

We have played exactly the same way now for 4 years and I think we have been rumbled.  Sides know how to play against us (and worryingly fluster us).  Last night's result has been coming for a while.

Without a change to our approach, we will continue to struggle to score and we will continue to concede cheap goals.

Question is, does Southgate have the nous to change the system.  Personally, I doubt it.

Completely agree with all of this. I know they've been resting a few players over the past few games due to it being at the end of a long season, but with attacking plethora of talent we have in the squad there is absolutely no excuse to not score in 4 consecutive games. Hungary are 49th in the world and we lost fair and square twice in 4 games to them. Clearly the system, or players used in the system is not working. Defensively we have normally been sound, but now look like conceding which is a major concern with only a couple more games before the WC later this year.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I also feel there is a bit of a "we're better than you" mentality going on in the camp that wasn't there before our run to the Euro final. Before it felt very much like we were the plucky underdogs. Just feel like Maguire, Kane have a bit of a smug swagger in their walk which isn't warranted or necessary.