Sign in to follow this  
Grant Holts Moustache

Dodgy Crypto Sponsor?

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yes. Well,  it should be.

They can be limited though. Just because they're not physical. People pay hundreds or thousands for in-game items, for example.

The MetaVerse and NFTs are more interesting (for those who are actually interested) as there's the concept of unique buildings or virtual material possessions that can be interacted with. A lot hinges on the future of MV.

The current mass use of nfts are essentially useless and a bit of a scam, you don't actually own the asset (or copyright to the asset) that the nft points to in >99% of the cases. The place nfts actually make sense are things like tickets for events. 

For anyone interested in understanding more I would recommend looking up Steve Mold's video about them on YouTube, he does a good of cutting through a lot of the guff and explaining things in a layman's way.

17 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

It was announced about 5 months ago, I think there was some mention of it in the last OSP meeting and the reasoning from the club was that they were only following what all the other clubs were doing, one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things.

I suppose at the end of the day it's up to the individual if they want to put their money in Crypto/Fan Tokens, personally I wouldn't go near it.

Thanks for this. Personally don't think their reasoning is great but did they mention anything about how they looked into it to ensure they are legit?

17 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Would have thought after the BK8 fiasco someone at the club

Why drag Bakino Faso into this? 

They have enough problems. 

3 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Thanks for this. Personally don't think their reasoning is great but did they mention anything about how they looked into it to ensure they are legit?

No idea, my post was from my memory, it's worth looking up what the club said at the time. I do recall that Scallop had some kind of license but I've no idea what sort.

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/investing/whats-the-score-with-football-and-crypto/

The above has some more info re football & crypto. It looks like some clubs are embracing it in a big way whereas we are just beginning to explore the possibilities.

On the one hand, we parade our status as the paupers of the Premier League, poor but honest. On the other, we seem to be increasingly fussy about who can sponsor the club. Go figure.

I wish crypto would just f*ck off, the amount of energy the miners consume is just ludicrous.

Blockchain tech has a few niche real life purposes, but crypto currency will never have mainstream adoption as everybody is bagholding and scared to actually spent it in case they are left regretting it (like the guy who spent thousands of bitcoin on a pizza).

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

did they mention anything about how they looked into it to ensure they are legit?

Companies like Amazon, eBay, Adobe, Google, Facebook, Microsoft & Apple have all been pulled over for tax avoidance methods.  The football pyramid is corrupt to the core - Qatar world cup, Cash for contracts, Sports washing, Panama Papers, Bungs etc.

What even is "Legit"?!

2 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

That's the trouble with living in Norfolk, I'm still coming to terms with the wheel.

Ah, that invention of the devil. How many creatures did the Good Lord equip with wheels? None! Which tells you all you need to know. 🤪

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Ask Michael Owen about NFT. His will be the first that will not loose any value. 

Yet another scam. It isn't that they won't lose value, it is that if you buy it you can't sell it for less than you paid. So, when inevitably nobody wants to pay the initial rate for them you're stuck with some useless piece of digital Michael Owen memorabilia. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I wish crypto would just f*ck off, the amount of energy the miners consume is just ludicrous.

Blockchain tech has a few niche real life purposes, but crypto currency will never have mainstream adoption as everybody is bagholding and scared to actually spent it in case they are left regretting it (like the guy who spent thousands of bitcoin on a pizza).

Right now crypto has one use.

It allows me to laugh at douchebro 'libertarians' who, when they get fleeced, begin to realise why things like this do need some sort of oversight and regulation. 

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

No idea, my post was from my memory, it's worth looking up what the club said at the time. I do recall that Scallop had some kind of license but I've no idea what sort.

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/investing/whats-the-score-with-football-and-crypto/

The above has some more info re football & crypto. It looks like some clubs are embracing it in a big way whereas we are just beginning to explore the possibilities.

I looked at the licenses and they have one in Estonia to trade cryptocurrency and the other is a Canadian one that allows them to transfer currency from one to another. Nothing for banking which is what they are promoting as their USP.

Have seen some of the bits other clubs and players are doing. Nearly all of it just feels like another way to fleece fans.

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

On the one hand, we parade our status as the paupers of the Premier League, poor but honest. On the other, we seem to be increasingly fussy about who can sponsor the club. Go figure.

Surely being poor but honest is even more reason that the club should be fussy about where they take their money from? We can't be both the self funding club trying to do things different to the rest and then take gambling/crypto currency because others are?

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

What even is "Legit"?!

Conforming to the required laws. In this case they are claiming to be a bank as well as an exchange and cannot see anywhere that they have an actual banking licence which would protect depositors for is or when it all goes wrong. Like the company Celius someone mentioned here who are now holding everyones money.

11 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Conforming to the required laws. In this case they are claiming to be a bank as well as an exchange and cannot see anywhere that they have an actual banking licence which would protect depositors for is or when it all goes wrong

The club won't be actively promoting them until it's officially launched and thus correct licensing granted, if you read the statement on the website, clearly explained at the start of the year:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/club-announces-scallop-as-new-primary-partner

Hence why you're unaware today, it's not even launched in the UK yet. 

48 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Surely being poor but honest is even more reason that the club should be fussy about where they take their money from? We can't be both the self funding club trying to do things different to the rest and then take gambling/crypto currency because others are?

Fair point

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

I agree, but on the flipside a good proportion of the fans who criticised the BK8 deal would equally have taken Newcastles Human Right Abusing, Journalist Murdering owners. 

I think both fans and the club deliver a bit of a mixed message on this one.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

The club won't be actively promoting them until it's officially launched and thus correct licensing granted, if you read the statement on the website, clearly explained at the start of the year:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/club-announces-scallop-as-new-primary-partner

Hence why you're unaware today, it's not even launched in the UK yet. 

The club effectively started promoting them at the beginning of this year as soon as they announced the partnership. 

2 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

The club effectively started promoting them at the beginning of this year as soon as they announced the partnership. 

Bullls**t did they, you didn't even know about it.

Edited by Google Bot

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Bullls**t did they, you didn't even know about it.

I don't read every tweet and article about the club so I didn't see it. Doesn't mean they didn't do it.

The article itself is from the start of the year. So the moment they released it is them promoting them. 

Here's the club tweeting about the partnership in January.

I bet a quick Google or check of the Scallop site would also find them using the club for credibility since then too. 

6 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Here's the club tweeting about the partnership in January.

No ****, they're announcing it. The partnership is on the site that I've already linked to you.

Point is they won't be promoting the services on offer until available in the UK. I haven't a clue if your issue is one of morality or legitimacy - but if it's one of legalities then they are doing nothing wrong, and of course the team would've looked into the legal legitimacy of a company before partnering with it.

You're googling to find certification when it doesn't exist... Again, because they haven't launched, as explained in the original announcement if you just read that.

I'm not sure what your point is, really.  Could you sum it up simply for me please?

Edited by Google Bot

God what a boring little bunch of conservative, pant wetting, little good citizens you all are. 

Oooh crypto. Oooh gambling. Oooh flesh. Oooh energy use. Oooh regulation. 

Oooh prices. Oooh Betty. 

Pathetic. 

Ask your mp why we aren't doing more to stop genocide in Ukraine. Make a use of yourself you sad little people. 

Edited by fredherring

On 13/06/2022 at 15:32, Canary Wundaboy said:

This was one thing I hoped our club would stay away from. Nothing good comes from dabbling in crypto.

Not when one tweet from Elon wipes 50% of its value in hours. 

10 hours ago, cornish sam said:

The current mass use of nfts are essentially useless and a bit of a scam, you don't actually own the asset (or copyright to the asset) that the nft points to in >99% of the cases. The place nfts actually make sense are things like tickets for events. 

Using it for tickets is a solution in search of a problem. There are much simpler and less computationally expensive ways to uniquely identify a ticket. You don't need to store it in a huge decentralized database and distribute it to everyone in the world. You just need a server. 

1 minute ago, The Bunny said:

Using it for tickets is a solution in search of a problem. There are much simpler and less computationally expensive ways to uniquely identify a ticket. You don't need to store it in a huge decentralized database and distribute it to everyone in the world. You just need a server. 

To an extent yes, but it would offer a very strong way to prevent scalping and it would also allow "added value" to be added to a ticket. Though granted, for most use cases it would be overkill, it's just a relatable example that most should be able to understand. There are other potential examples, such as baking royalty payments or resale percentages into certain types of digital consumption, but they are far more complex.

Essentially NFTs are a solution that is yet to find an ideal problem, but that doesn't make the concept of NFTs flawed