Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Gilmour signs until 2024

I saw the title and thought "if we've @#!£ing signed him on a two-year loan deal after this season even I'm getting on the Webber out train" so am pretty relieved he's not coming back!

Not surprised that they've exercised an option. Said for a long time he needs a pure destroyer alongside him. There's definitely a quality operator in there, but the extent to which he'll thrive will depend on the extent he's willing to work on his physicality a little. At the same time, Pirlo was never a physical force, and he's probably the template on which Gilmour should build his game.

• Haha 2

They can see that without dirty Russian money they will soon end up back in their natural position of around 12th to 16th like Crystal Palace, players like Gilmour will be all they can afford. 

13 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

Who cares, he will be loaned out again next season 

I'd very much care if he plays elsewhere and does wonders.  If that were to happen, you'd have to question our ability at effectively managing players of quality.

These days, clubs extend the contract of academy players, not with the aim of playing them, but with the aim of pumping up their transfer value.

Player X with 4 years on their contract can be sold for a lot more than Player Y with a year left on their contract. Similar to the reason we have exercised the +1 year deal on Cantwell's contract. 

1 hour ago, Bovril said:

These days, clubs extend the contract of academy players, not with the aim of playing them, but with the aim of pumping up their transfer value.

Player X with 4 years on their contract can be sold for a lot more than Player Y with a year left on their contract. Similar to the reason we have exercised the +1 year deal on Cantwell's contract. 

Similar - although if we didnt extend Cantwell (& Pukki's) contracts both could have left for free.  

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Clearly they are seeing something in him we arent..

Yep - a re-sell value. Simples. 

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I saw the title and thought "if we've @#!£ing signed him on a two-year loan deal after this season even I'm getting on the Webber out train" so am pretty relieved he's not coming back!

Not surprised that they've exercised an option. Said for a long time he needs a pure destroyer alongside him. There's definitely a quality operator in there, but the extent to which he'll thrive will depend on the extent he's willing to work on his physicality a little. At the same time, Pirlo was never a physical force, and he's probably the template on which Gilmour should build his game.

The Poundland Pirlo 😏

2 hours ago, Bovril said:

Player X with 4 years on their contract can be sold for a lot more than Player Y with a year left on their contract. Similar to the reason we have exercised the +1 year deal on Cantwell's contract

Yes, we could easily get an extra £10. £20, even. 

Even when they get the 'Gilmour' right, instead of (Happy) Gilmore, they still stuck an extra 'r' on the end.

Edit: 2 now I look properly

Edited by paddycanary