Wymondham Canaries

Davis to join up with smith

Not for me, I suspect he could replace Hugill, but u suspect he will want decent wages (Who doesn't)

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We have Hugill. We have Idah. We have Pukki.

He would only join us to be 1st choice and on silly wages. Wont happen. 

Thank goodness we have Hugill, nothing to see here. 

If he signed, I'd be pretty happy. He seems a good option at this level. And young. But as has already been said, I'm not sure he offers anything we don't have already from Idah and Hugill. 

And I've read Forest are trying to bring him back for their Premier League campaign. 

If they are interested, then they’re certainly developing a Championship side for the long-term.     We can’t keep bringing in average players, better off developing our own!    Done nothing in his career to suggest he’s good enough!    

• Like 1

Let’s see what hugill can do in a dean smith championship team as I sense Davis is no better than him 

He's 24, so I think he's probably edging out of the "young prospect" bracket now. He's got age on his side, which Hugill hasn't. I do think we might shake up that forward line a little if we can and I suspect Hugill will be the one to go if we do.

I think it's going to be a bit of a waiting game this summer. So much needs to be done in terms of trimming and loaning out of this squad at the moment, it almost seems as much of a priority as that 2nd midfielder they seem keen on bringing in. 

I know a lot of forest fans as I used to live in Nottingham - consensus from them was that he was their best player last season and many of them thought their season was over when he got injured. They all rated him very highly. I haven't really seen him play so I don't have much to add to that but certainly the forest fans liked him and wanted to keep him.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Let’s see what hugill can do in a dean smith championship team as I sense Davis is no better than him 

I'd rather take a punt on virtually any reasonable young striker from the lower leagues than Hugill, to be honest.

Nothing against the player, and he might well thrive when advantaged by a certain type of play. It won't be a type I want to see at Carrow Road though. Backward step in many ways.

He just about did a job for us last time around, nothing more, nothing less yet still got a pretty good panning on this forum on a fairly regular basis. He has since more or less flopped at WBA, and has, in fact, just scored five goals in nearly forty Championship games since being shipped out by Farke. 

Not prolific, getting on and with League One written all over him, it's a very loud 'no thanks' from me.

I suggest it may be a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder for some with this player, but you still only get what's on the tin.

A player with his low skills level and limited input pales into insignificance when pitched against some of the forwards that have donned the yellow in the past; and I'm talking just those who we have had for the second tier here.

On the other hand, Keenan Davis would be fine by me. Smith would know.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I think we'll do all we can to offload Hugill but that might be easier said than done.

Just because Davis is at Villa it doesn't necessarily follow that Deano wants him here. Also, according to Michael Bailey, wide right is an area Smith is looking to improve which frees up Sargent to play centrally.

I'd be surprised if this one happens, more likely Forest I'd say.

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think we'll do all we can to offload Hugill but that might be easier said than done.

Just because Davis is at Villa it doesn't necessarily follow that Deano wants him here. Also, according to Michael Bailey, wide right is an area Smith is looking to improve which frees up Sargent to play centrally.

I'd be surprised if this one happens, more likely Forest I'd say.

If that’s the case then I can see our forward line being Pukki, Idah and Sargent. No more no less.

Some one posted on here recently that Michael Bailey article about transfer wants and there seems to be a general desire from Smith more goals coming from midfield. This allies with what you said above about the right wide position. 

In that sense I don’t see us bringing in another out and out striker unless it’s youth as no one is going to usurp Pukki and we won’t pay £ for a bench warmer. 

12 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Lets not!    Neither are anywhere near good enough.... plus the football will be turgid!

Lets see what Rowe, Idah, Kamara etc... can do instead.  

9 hours ago, kick it off said:

I know a lot of forest fans as I used to live in Nottingham - consensus from them was that he was their best player last season and many of them thought their season was over when he got injured. They all rated him very highly. I haven't really seen him play so I don't have much to add to that but certainly the forest fans liked him and wanted to keep him.

Fact is though, many fans get over excited by a player who gives his all which fair play to him, he seems to do.    Sadly, beyond that he isn't prolific, doesn't create lots of chances and has never delivered anything to suggest he would be a suitable replacement for Pukki in an emergency.    We've already got Sargent who has a similar skill set... gives his all but not much else.    

Got to hope Adam Idah, comes through this time.  

Davis looked interesting during the first half of last season, but obviously defenders soon learnt how to play him, with the result he was being treated as an impact player / alternative off the bench during Forest's run in. I'm now less convinced he will be an improvement on Hugill, so it's a no from me as think he is just a one trick pony.

Edited by shefcanary

Easily better than Hugill for me, different to Sargent as he's more of a lump, but clearly not good enough for prem league, too clumsy and lacks pace.

I wouldn't be unhappy because Smith will get the best from him, but it really depends on fee.  He clearly has talent and can hold the ball up pretty well - paired with Pukki would be joyous, but then we'd be pushing Idah down the list.

Verdict: Don't know! 🙂