Piece of ****. Come back when he's managed Gas Hill at 3am so smashed on tequila that you can't see straight. That's proper mountaineering.

• Haha 10

So poorly timed from him. Short pre-season where faith is needing restoring for the upcoming season and he couldn't get much further away baring inter-planetery exploration. Shows lack of commitment and responsibility 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JB said:

So poorly timed from him. Short pre-season where faith is needing restoring for the upcoming season and he couldn't get much further away baring inter-planetery exploration. Shows lack of commitment and responsibility 

Oh come on, I'm not a  big fan of Webber either and its really annoyed me that he's not taken some accountability and held his hands up on a few of his decisions, and his level of influence (together with his wife) is of serious concern.

But everybody is entitled to time off work and away from work phone / work laptop, everybody needs a switch off. Most players are in Dubai / Marbella / Barbados / Vegas right now,.

It makes sense for this trip to be held at this point in time and it has clearly not stopped us completing on 1 incoming and 1 outgoing transfer, that means there is somebody capable at the club having stuff delegated to them, and that can only be a positive.... Neil Adams? Wifey?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, JB said:

He’s entitled to some holiday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I have no idea, other than it isn't me. 

Maybe one of your staff Corkio? If you let them time off that is. 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

I have no idea, other than it isn't me. 

Maybe one of your staff Corkio? If you let them time off that is. 

I tried that once, Christmas 1989 I think it was, but the Husbands wanted time off at the same time as their wives.... And vice versa. Wasn't having that so put them to cleaning the snot off the two year old potatoes they were getting as a new year bonus. Really, give them an inch ....

• Haha 1

I suppose as the transfer window is open for the summer this keeps him as far away as possible from making the same errors from 2021 transfer window.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh come on, I'm not a  big fan of Webber either and its really annoyed me that he's not taken some accountability and held his hands up on a few of his decisions, and his level of influence (together with his wife) is of serious concern.

But everybody is entitled to time off work and away from work phone / work laptop, everybody needs a switch off. Most players are in Dubai / Marbella / Barbados / Vegas right now,.

It makes sense for this trip to be held at this point in time and it has clearly not stopped us completing on 1 incoming and 1 outgoing transfer, that means there is somebody capable at the club having stuff delegated to them, and that can only be a positive.... Neil Adams? Wifey?

I mean you are correct he’s entitled to time off, but counter argument would be why not take that time off during the season instead of during a massive rebuild following relegation?

The person you responded to didn’t say he shouldn’t have time off, they said the timing was poor.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I mean you are correct he’s entitled to time off, but counter argument would be why not take that time off during the season instead of during a massive rebuild following relegation?

The person you responded to didn’t say he shouldn’t have time off, they said the timing was poor.

You reckon if he'd ****ed off on Game week 30 before we were relegated to p*ss around climbing up a mountain JB would have been more understanding?

Bet the same people who have been saying they want Webber to be more hands off on recruitment will bash him for not being at Carrow Road with the transfer window open. Window only opened 2 days ago! 

Like I said, I don't like him at all, but this is barrel scraping. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You reckon if he'd ****ed off on Game week 30 before we were relegated to p*ss around climbing up a mountain JB would have been more understanding?

Bet the same people who have been saying they want Webber to be more hands off on recruitment will bash him for not being at Carrow Road with the transfer window open. Window only opened 2 days ago! 

I don’t know what his opinion on that is, maybe ask him?

Just pointing out his point about timing is valid.

Personally if he has to be doing this I’d rather it was during times when he can’t be expected to have much influence on the direction of the footballing side of his responsibilities.

25 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I suppose as the transfer window is open for the summer this keeps him as far away as possible from making the same errors from 2021 transfer window.

Will still be all the players he's targeted with Smith over the past few months in all likelihood,  so not going to make a difference.

Plus he has a pretty much unbeatable Championship transfer record when you take us and Huddersfield into account. I dont know if there's another sporting director with the same record at this level,  a quick look suggests not.

20 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Having done such a terrible job in last season, I'm quite happy for him to leave it to Neil Adams and Dean Smith and go have his fun. Come back and do the stuff he's good at - overseeing continued development of infrastructure, etc - fresh, with renewed commitment and hunger.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Crikey. So the Sporting Director is mountain-climbing, but the club is still preparing for pre-season, signing players, training, and all sorts of things without him actually being there? How is this possible? Surely the players can't so much as put their boots on without the Sporting Director being there to tie their shoe laces?

This revelation has shaken me to the core. 

4 minutes ago, Miss Demeanor said:

I wonder how many other Sporting Directors are not at their desks during the beginning of the transfer window?

Loads, they'll be doing deals on the hoof....it's a mobile world in case you hadn't noticed. Do you know for sure that Webber hasn't been involved in work related activities since he's been away? For that photo to get back so quickly pretty much proves that some form of comms are open.... Why not the odd work conversation?

I'd laugh my not insubstantially sized todger off if he pulled off a good deal for us WHILE 'halfway up a mountain '. That'd be a turn up for the books.

PS not that fond of SW, just don't see the point of the pile-on.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Miss Demeanor said:

I wonder how many other Sporting Directors are not at their desks during the beginning of the transfer window?

It looks like he has sorted out the targets and done the groundwork before he set off on his travels armed with his mobile phone in case he is required back at the office. All well and good  unless his work requires a Plan B for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's almost as if delegation never happens. Or contingency planning.

It's almost as if they don't carry out their business the same way as any other company in the land. 

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Piece of ****. Come back when he's managed Gas Hill at 3am so smashed on tequila that you can't see straight. That's proper mountaineering.

I was showing a guest around Norwich today and demonstrated Gas Hill and talked about how it’s the steepest summit in the locale. Hats off to you sir, you don’t fancy a Sporting Director job do you?

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t know what his opinion on that is, maybe ask him?

Just pointing out his point about timing is valid.

Personally if he has to be doing this I’d rather it was during times when he can’t be expected to have much influence on the direction of the footballing side of his responsibilities.

We're talking 2 days here, if a player is fickle enough to not be able to wait 2 days for any issue then perhaps he's not the right fit.

That's how long he'd actually have been messing around going up and down this mountain.

The rest of his trip he can do business on zoom, over the phone, can even sign contracts digitally these days. 

I don't want to have to defend this plonker, but think us Webber Out bunch would be much better off focusing on bigger issues, this level of nit picking is absurdity. If it was the last two weeks of the window and we still had a hole in the squad to fill to make us competitive then the criticism would be justified and I'd join in.

Bare in mind the window only opened 2 days ago and we've already done business, perhaps he should go away more often in June! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think the point is, reward yourself with some time off when you’ve been nailing your job. Clearly, Webber hasn’t been nailing his, which is why some of us are wondering what the hell is going on.

Edited by Kingston Yellow

19 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I think the point is, reward yourself with some time off when you’ve been nailing your job. Clearly, Webber hasn’t been nailing his, which is why some of us are wondering what the hell is going on.

This is a new concept, holidays based on performance?

• Haha 1