Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

The man who ended the dream

Was at school but we were allowed to listen on the radio. In the end, all it left was many people in debt. But they had a good run for their money.

Is this about NI in the World Cup x2? Searched his name and assumed you mean those events.
Why was it him who ‘ended the dream’?

I think Sunderland in one of our other FA Cup Semi-Finals matched it for disappointment. Plus the penalty shoot out at Cardiff.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I think Sunderland in one of our other FA Cup Semi-Finals matched it for disappointment. Plus the penalty shoot out at Cardiff.

But it was a replay and we were a 3rd division team who had just avoided going out of business. It was the Impossible Dream.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But it was a replay and we were a 3rd division team who had just avoided going out of business. It was the Impossible Dream.

I think we got mathematically closer to the final than any other third -tier team has done. York City got to a replay but lost 2-0, and more recently Chesterfield lost I think it was 4-0.

And this was when the top clubs (and we beat Man Utd and Spurs along the way) took the FA Cup seriously. Probably as seriously as the league title. Nowadays clubs care more about finishing fourth than the cup.

Billy Bingham, and the NI squad, were staying in the same hotel as me, The Culloden Hotel in Belfast, just before the World Cup in 1982.

I got the chance to talk to Billy, and several players including Pat Jennings, at breakfast one morning.

I told him that he had broken my heart when I was 11 years old by scoring the goal that prevented us from getting to Wembley.

He was very understanding and appreciated the fact that we had had an incredible Cup run.

R.I.P. Billy Bingham but sorry, I still can't forgive you.

Billy Bingham managed Mansfield Town. I was a kid reporter, couldn't afford a car. Went by bus to interview him in late May and it hurled down with snow, which clearly was weird but very much Mansfield.  I stood at the bus stop looking totally miserable and a guy stopped and drove me to Nottingham. It was Billy Bingham. He was a brilliant coach and an outstanding man.

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Agreed, I was so convinced we only had to turn up and put in a half decent performance. Guess it was their revenge for 85. 

Was brought up on stories of my father and uncles going on the 59 Cup run . Bottles of whisky each on the train. Drinking Cockney pubs dry as they put it . 
Wembley - We should’ve been there bor ! 
If I heard that once I did a thousand times …… I’d love to hear it again. Except they’ve  all gone now. 
So RIP to all those Norwich fans who went on the 59 Cup Run and who are no longer with us . 
And yes RIP Billy Bingham . 

• Like 1