4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'll be following them with interest - if he gets them playing, we could be looking at next year's Bundesliga winners, champions league winners the following season. His achievements at Norwich were limited only by the quality of player we could afford and he will prove it in the mext couple of years.

OMG!! You really do have an obsession that's increasingly bordering on the bizarre when it comes to Farke! If he's that good then how come he didn't fall straight into a top job here in the PL or with the likes of Barcelona, Real, PSG, Bayern etc.?? 

29 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

OMG!! You really do have an obsession that's increasingly bordering on the bizarre when it comes to Farke! If he's that good then how come he didn't fall straight into a top job here in the PL or with the likes of Barcelona, Real, PSG, Bayern etc.?? 

It's not just about the football on the pitch, it's the whole package of bringing a club together and achieve to the limits of what that club is capable of.  He did that at Norwich, not once but twice, in way that was universally praised, both on and off the pitch.

Imo, his methods are up there with the best of them and it was only the limitations of the players that restricted his success in the PL. I think we will see that come to fruition with BMG.

To answer your question, for a Barcelona type club, it is too early for him - but do well with BMG then he will then be a draw for any top club. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It's not just about the football on the pitch, it's the whole package of bringing a club together and achieve to the limits of what that club is capable of.  He did that at Norwich, not once but twice, in way that was universally praised, both on and off the pitch.

Imo, his methods are up there with the best of them and it was only the limitations of the players that restricted his success in the PL. I think we will see that come to fruition with BMG.

To answer your question, for a Barcelona type club, it is too early for him - but do well with BMG then he will then be a draw for any top club. 

The thing is, I'm not sure the rest of football believes 26 points from 49 Premier League games is the limit that Norwich are capable of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

The thing is, I'm not sure the rest of football believes 26 points from 49 Premier League games is the limit that Norwich are capable of.

The point is the way that we aimed to play dream type football. Could we have been a bit more competitive playing that way? Yes - with more resources and better players and no-one can blame Farke for the lack of that.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The point is the way that we aimed to play dream type football. Could we have been a bit more competitive playing that way? Yes - with more resources and better players and no-one can blame Farke for the lack of that.

Yes, but the counter argument to that would be that Farke should have worked around the squad and (lack of) resources he had - a la Lambert - instead of trying to play a system that was beyond them at the highest level. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'll be following them with interest - if he gets them playing, we could be looking at next year's Bundesliga winners, champions league winners the following season. His achievements at Norwich were limited only by the quality of player we could afford and he will prove it in the mext couple of years.

Again, living in cloud cuckoo land! You have no clue about German football if you think they will win the Bundesliga, and I’m one of their fans, having stood on the terraces watching them in the 90s! They are so far behind the likes of Bayern and Dortmund it’s unreal mate, do some research before you spout your guff. 

id love to see them do well, but it’s nothing like Championship football, and when it comes to top flight football the facts don’t lie when it comes to Farke’s ability do they?

I admire your optimism but any real MG fan would think you should be committed if you think they can win the League 🤣🤣

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We failed because the players weren't good enough. Simples.

We failed in the PL because the players weren't good enough.

If you play a system that requires a better quality of player than you have. Then you are setting them up for failure. It’s not vision it’s stubbornness.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, YoussefSafriFromDistance said:

I'm just wondering if anyone with more tactical knowledge than me knows how a typical Dean Smith team is set up? Or even what sort of players fit his system/philosophy?

I understand he wants more physicality and players with a winning/fighting mentality but so would any manager after watching last season. I know very little about his Brentford days, I could never really see a clear playing style from his Villa side and it felt like he was just trying to piece together anything to get a result last season with us.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Farkeball and the idea of having an established and obvious philosophy?

I think 'spoiled' is a very good way of putting it - I don't think I would ever have greatly enjoyed watching an NCFC team managed by a Dean Smith type manager. At many times in our history it would be just one of things and a temporary disappointment which in time, and hopefully with the next appointment. would be reversed.

At Carrow Road we are very well used to both 'ups' and 'downs' and personally I much prefer that to being entrenched mid-table (in any league) and in which one season is very much like the next which is the case for a great many clubs.

But replacing Farke with Smith feels far worse than a standard 'down', it feels as though we have slipped from a high point, are still travelling downwards and are unlikely to get back to that high point in the future (well in my lifetime anyway!).

In 60+ years of watching the Canaries, it has always been my experience that with a new season approaching there is a (sometimes faint) feeling of optimism and excitement about the new season even when there is no real rational basis for it. This year, for the first time ever, I feel neither and in fact much like Webber (apparently), think a bit of a break from football would be a good idea.

So I think I have definitely been 'spoiled' by Farkeball.

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

If you play a system that requires a better quality of player than you have. Then you are setting them up for failure. It’s not vision it’s stubbornness.In

Not if the aim is to improve it over  period of time - which was the plan. You don't reach the top if you only plan to be mediocre. 

There are two approaches you can have to the PL - you can try and hang in there with survival football - defensive, physically strong and try and get the odd victory and a few draws.....or you can play super football and try and mix it with the best. I would prefer the latter - mainly because I want to see Norwich playing attractive progressive football, not some mind numbing version of survival football that sees you grovelling along at the foot of the table feeding off scraps.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not if the aim is to improve it over  period of time - which was the plan. You don't reach the top if you only plan to be mediocre. 

There are two approaches you can have to the PL - you can try and hang in there with survival football - defensive, physically strong and try and get the odd victory and a few draws.....or you can play super football and try and mix it with the best. I would prefer the latter - mainly because I want to see Norwich playing attractive progressive football, not some mind numbing version of survival football that sees you grovelling along at the foot of the table feeding off scraps.

Over time. He had 5 seasons not 5 months in charge. Did you go to any of Farke’s games last season? It wasn’t Farkeball, even Farke doesn’t agree with you 😂

50 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Wait there are only two approaches to football?

Which out of interest are Wolves, West Ham, Southampton and Brighton as examples playing?

I didn’t see much survival only or only total football from those teams.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think 'spoiled' is a very good way of putting it - I don't think I would ever have greatly enjoyed watching an NCFC team managed by a Dean Smith type manager. At many times in our history it would be just one of things and a temporary disappointment which in time, and hopefully with the next appointment. would be reversed.

At Carrow Road we are very well used to both 'ups' and 'downs' and personally I much prefer that to being entrenched mid-table (in any league) and in which one season is very much like the next which is the case for a great many clubs.

But replacing Farke with Smith feels far worse than a standard 'down', it feels as though we have slipped from a high point, are still travelling downwards and are unlikely to get back to that high point in the future (well in my lifetime anyway!).

In 60+ years of watching the Canaries, it has always been my experience that with a new season approaching there is a (sometimes faint) feeling of optimism and excitement about the new season even when there is no real rational basis for it. This year, for the first time ever, I feel neither and in fact much like Webber (apparently), think a bit of a break from football would be a good idea.

So I think I have definitely been 'spoiled' by Farkeball.

The thing about 'Farkeball' is that it was never the dominance that you see from Man City and Liverpool in the PL. In 18/19 the football was tremendous to watch, but there were plenty of seesaw type games, which that year we often came out on top in so it will always be remembered fondly. The 20/21 season was nowhere near as pretty as the previous promotion, though that can be put down to the fact that the season was massively condensed.

8 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I don't really understand this.

What is a 'Smith type manager?' 

There seems to be this consensus building that Smith plays football in the style of Bruce or Pulis, long ball, 4-4-faacking 2 get it to the big lad type stuff which just isn't true.

The fans of both his previous teams speak very highly of the football played under Smith. I don't quite understand how you can say you don't think you'd ever enjoy watching a team managed by him when he seems to largely play entertaining football just less tippy tappy than Farke.

• Like 1