That got your attention! Let's lighten things up (it's getting a bit DEEP on the "This language is not OK" thread).

Actually, the 'touching' was a shake of Foxy's hand when I was a 16 year YT boy working in Mr Shoes. He came in one day looking very uncomfortable, selected a pair of brown brogues on sale as one foot was faded and practically threw £20 at me before scuttling out the door again. Had very small feet - size 6 I think.

Remember getting punched in the face by a traveller later the same day whilst trying to wrestle a pair of expensive boots from his girlfriend who had tried running out the door with them 👊🤕

Ah, happy days.

Also shook Ian Butterworth's hand. Was walking past the sports shop he opened on Timber Hill with some mates, got pulled inside by some TV presenter and ended up on Look East looking as though we'd gone into the shop looking for an autograph!

Chance encounters but enough to make a 16 year old lad happy - days when the only time you saw a footballer was on the pitch or in a photo - if you saw them in the street somewhere it was a big deal!

Anyone else served one of the Canaries finest in a shop? Or bumped into one in the street and had a particularly good (or bad reaction)?

• Like 1

Kenton and Darel Russell were always at the student night on Prince of Wales road. Their pulling ability pretty much matched their football ability.  Didn't get a lot of attention but I imagine they managed to touch a few 18yr old hands 

Shake Gossy's hand in a shop and you'll know about it.  I did, never again!

Read earlier that it was 8 years ago today since we lost Rik Mayall by the way - so kinda poignant seeing him on your avatar this evening.   Never shook his hand, though.

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Shake Gossy's hand in a shop and you'll know about it.  I did, never again!

Read earlier that it was 8 years ago today since we lost Rik Mayall by the way - so kinda poignant seeing him on your avatar this evening.   Never shook his hand, though.

Watched Bottom through my early teens. Still love the over the top acting now (my wife just doesn't get it!). Was absolutely gutted when he died. GAS MAN!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

Watched Bottom through my early teens. Still love the over the top acting now (my wife just doesn't get it!). Was absolutely gutted when he died. GAS MAN!

I must have watched the gasman episode about 50 times.

"No problem with the meter in this flat...don't check for another 300 years."

'"Left in high spirits...to indulge in my hobby of bus surfing."

RIP Rik

OTBC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I may, I’d like to trump everyone with one of my better claims to fame…….…

………I slapped Jim Magilton in his actual face at the time he was actually the manager of the actual binners AND I got away with it scott free. 

I will explain. Ipswich reserves were playing a cup match vs Lowestoft Town and I, having worked for the local theme park for a while, was asked by my ITFC supporting boss if I wanted to don the mascot costume to present a giant novelty cheque for something or other. Obviously the opportunity to watch a bit of decent local football at the home of the once dubbed ‘sleeping giants of non-league football’ was too much to resist. The evening was wet, my furry gloves hand was suitably dunked in a fag end ridden puddle and after the obligatory hugs and high fives for the happy children my moment came to meet the mighty Jim. Photo opportunity smile ready, hand extended I tantalised JM with the old ‘take away the outstretched hand to blow raspberries’ manoeuvre (twice) before the third time going for an (admittedly low force but satisfyingly sodden) cuff across the left chops. Smile turned to gritted teeth and a very audible ‘you little b***tard’ before I shook the hand, passed the cheque and got the hell out of the costume to the safety and anonymity of my non furry alias - my normal face. 
I didn’t dare look at him the remainder of the match in case I gave away who I was, but it’s something I’ll take to my grave with utmost satisfaction. 

Drops mic

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Had a very quick kick about with darel Russell up mousehold back in the league one season. 

me and my mates where playing footie up there and he came along walking his dog and had a quick few touches and proceeded to sky one over my cross bar 🤣

I was a bought a drink by a semi-drunk Darren Huckerby in Dukes nightclub, Chelmsford after we'd just been relegated from the premier League. 

Chatted about football for a bit and his pool house in France. Paul McVeigh also came over to speak to me briefly. 

I never went out expecting that. 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

If I may, I’d like to trump everyone with one of my better claims to fame…….…

………I slapped Jim Magilton in his actual face at the time he was actually the manager of the actual binners AND I got away with it scott free. 

I will explain. Ipswich reserves were playing a cup match vs Lowestoft Town and I, having worked for the local theme park for a while, was asked by my ITFC supporting boss if I wanted to don the mascot costume to present a giant novelty cheque for something or other. Obviously the opportunity to watch a bit of decent local football at the home of the once dubbed ‘sleeping giants of non-league football’ was too much to resist. The evening was wet, my furry gloves hand was suitably dunked in a fag end ridden puddle and after the obligatory hugs and high fives for the happy children my moment came to meet the mighty Jim. Photo opportunity smile ready, hand extended I tantalised JM with the old ‘take away the outstretched hand to blow raspberries’ manoeuvre (twice) before the third time going for an (admittedly low force but satisfyingly sodden) cuff across the left chops. Smile turned to gritted teeth and a very audible ‘you little b***tard’ before I shook the hand, passed the cheque and got the hell out of the costume to the safety and anonymity of my non furry alias - my normal face. 
I didn’t dare look at him the remainder of the match in case I gave away who I was, but it’s something I’ll take to my grave with utmost satisfaction. 

Drops mic

👌

• Thanks 1

The thread title evokes a memory in me of something a friend & neighbour said around the time Britney Spears was at her peak (commercially!):

"I would crawl naked on my hands & knees across ten miles of broken glass to súck the cóck of the man who rode Britney Spears."

Not very PC but still makes me chuckle all these years later!

Also seen Iwan Roberts pen*s. Green’s gym in north city and changing after a work out he asked me if I had seen any of the preseason games. I fortunately had and he asked if any of our new boys were any good. At the time James Maddison was one of our new boys and I said he looked decent (before being loaned out to Aberdeen) but said Carlton Morris looked the real deal 😂. During conversation big Iwan indulged in a bit of classic towel flossing and I got a glimpse. 

It was impressive, as was his physique which was pretty hench still. 

I’m going to shut up now before I’m arrested. 

• Haha 1

I shook Chris Quinten’s hand (Brian Tilsley, Coronation Street) on my birthday at a Coalville night club. He was playing live with his band and around ten people turned up for the gig including myself. 

I shared a urinal (row of urinals?) with Roy Keane once when on the road (in a Little Chef?) He was manager of Ipswich at the time. 

I noticed him, but fearful of his reputation kept silent. Only when we exchanged nervous glances (as men do in that situation) was the silence broken. 

"How ye doing?'" he asked.

"Fine." I replied, "but your team is sh-ite."

(I didn't really add that last bit, though. Would you have done?) 

I also stood next to Tommy Cooper in a toilet in the Station Hotel, Chatham.

He was tall and a bit drunk. He only said one sentence, the "Argh! That's better" line, but he even managed to make that sound funny.

More toilet reminiscences to follow.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Buendia Than Barnby said:

I don't think there's any post more boring than the one you've just made! Basic manners would suggest you just kept that thought to yourself.

Whose really  interested in who the op has touched as he put it

I find the subject boring 

Each to his own 

9 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

I was a bought a drink by a semi-drunk Darren Huckerby in Dukes nightclub, Chelmsford after we'd just been relegated from the premier League. 

Chatted about football for a bit and his pool house in France. Paul McVeigh also came over to speak to me briefly. 

I never went out expecting that. 

Dukes nightclub that brings back memories...didnt think there'd be another poster on here who had enjoyed that 'pleasure'!

• Like 1

Randomly met Nigel Worthington at the London eye when I was about 14. I wasn't going to say hello but my mum insisted.

Craig Fleming winked at me in JD Sports in the City Centre as I kept looking at him and must have realised I recognised him.

On a (slight) tangent do the club still run the open days they used to? As a kid it was amazing getting to meet all the players and see behind the scenes in the ground. 

Once had a brief conversation with Brian Clough before a game v Forest and he ended it with ' thank you officer ' and extended his arm to shake my hand which of course i did.

Picked up Phil Mulryne in my car to attend a NCISA forum. Same with Peter Grant.

The list is endless. 😂😜

As for Ruel Fox i had to serve a summons on him for motoring offences and Dave Stringer was present as Ruel could not read !

Oh and did i mention i have arrested Billy Bragg ?

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I played golf with Jeremy Goss at Dunston Hall. I hit a belter of a drive on the tough 15th to which he announced “You’re the man!”

If any of my friends and family ever challenge me over anything I always remind them now who the man is!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daly said:

Whose really  interested in who the op has touched as he put it

I find the subject boring 

Each to his own 

So why read the thread?

• Like 2

I regularly drink in the same bars as Jon Newsome here in Sheffield.  Plenty of tales have been shared, not just of his Norwich days but all his other clubs, but as I've promised not to relay them, never betray a confidence and likely to bump into him again soon enough you'll have to wait a while. 😉 

i used to go to Ritzy's with Chris sutton as he was friend of a friend they were some great nights 

then onto hy's with Mark robins and Sutton 

used to hang around and Holiday and still speak with Paul warne ,

very good friends with a former city player / staff member who will remain nameless as i get my info from him ,

also know a member of staff again remain nameless who was very high up who again i can not name 

live on same road as Mike MIlligan ,

• Like 1

Had all-day breakfast in Sainsbury's sat next to Drury.  Was during pre-season and he seemed very depressed. 

I started talking to him by accident as initially recognised as someone I knew, but as soon as I opened my mouth realised who it was and that I didn't know him personally! 🙂

Was pretty awkward as obvious he just wanted to be left alone.  Sat together like a pair of muppets (in silence) for a good 15-20 mins and then he got up and left, didn't even say goodbye or give me a look lol.

I'm sure we were playing an away friendly and he'd been left out. 

I also accidentally stalked Adrian Forbes 4-5 times in one day - He was at one of our games so went and spoke to him, then accidently blocked him in the car park, bumped into him at BP garage on way home, saw him at the Wildebeest, and then he had the misfortune of me singing to him drunk along prince of wales that night.

I told everyone around us how many times I'd seen him that day, and he was laughing about having a stalker.

Spoke to him at PDC many times since, and he never remembers.  Clearly has more going on in his life, than me! 🙂

Edited by Google Bot

Met back-up goalkeeper Mark Bunn in a bakery.

Really small guy for a top-level goalkeeper 

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Once had a brief conversation with Brian Clough before a game v Forest and he ended it with ' thank you officer ' and extended his arm to shake my hand which of course i did.

Picked up Phil Mulryne in my car to attend a NCISA forum. Same with Peter Grant.

The list is endless. 😂😜

As for Ruel Fox i had to serve a summons on him for motoring offences and Dave Stringer was present as Ruel could not read !

Oh and did i mention i have arrested Billy Bragg ?

Arrested Billy Bragg? What for? Was he nice?

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

So why read the thread?

Probably unlike you I’ve no Common Sense