Terminally Yellow

Another superb Michael Bailey article

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

4. Interest in Pukki from England and abroad. But no firm offers for him or anyone yet. Hoping for a big sale to fund more moves. 

This is the bit that has and continues to worry me.

Keeping Pukki is essential, he’s simply a hole we can’t afford to fill if he goes.

Getting him signed on for at least another 2 campaigns should be one of, if not the, most important bits of summer business.

3 minutes ago, duke63 said:

That's not strictly true as we are now paying wages on 3+ players for the Buendia money spent on transfers.

I love how people seem to forget that most players earn big money and don't play for free.

I would love to see how some budget the money they earn themselves. 😉

The issue is far too many players as a result of a scatter gun purchasing strategy. Now there is a squad of 35 players, many of whom will be on wages higher than other clubs will be willing to pay and hence difficult to shift with writing settlement cheques.

It will be difficult to commit to incoming transfer until players have been moved on - I expect the transfer window to be pretty difficult.

Any promotion ambition evaporates with the loss of Pukki. Only new investment will allow us to hold on to our best players and help break our cycle of failure.

The most interesting thing in this article for me is Michael stating that the Hayden transfer was led by Dean Smith.

That feels to me to be a return to the more traditional “Manager” rather than “Head Coach and Sporting Director” and makes me question how the dynamic is working between Smith and Stuart Webber and who is actually driving recruitment now?

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You and Tilly are still suggesting the problems our club face are down to female involvement, which is sexist nonsense. Unless I'm reading your posts incorrectly? 

You are reading it incorrectly as there have been numerous posters in the past who think Delia is taking money out of the club and it is a running joke that Duncan refers to Delia lining her ' hambag ' for her own interests. The joke on my part was that there are now two hambags in the boardroom and i was pointing it out to Duncan in response to him quoting me.

Don't go looking for hidden agendas TY.

Edited by TIL 1010

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You are reading it incorrectly as there have been numerous posters in the past who think Delia is taking money out of the club and it is a running joke that Duncan refers to Delia lining her ' hambag ' for her own interests. The joke on my part was that there are now two hambags in the boardroom and i was pointing it out to Duncan in response to him quoting me.

Essex on the other hand appears to have fully doubled down and gone all in with a ridiculous notion that “women are bad”!! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Badger said:

? What does this mean?

It's a long running joke. Duncan who i was answering  knows so it is a kind of those that know will know post.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It seems a pretty plain agenda to me. But I accept I've not understood the intention here.

10 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Essex on the other hand appears to have fully doubled down and gone all in with a ridiculous notion that “women are bad”!! 

No evidence for that.

Great to see that the women's game is becoming more prominent and in many ways has something on the men's game with less play acting etc. 

Nonetheless how many Premier League or EFL  players are female. Amongst matchday officials, what percentage is female? Some but very low. Female commentators seem to be very highly represented in comparison. Some like Alex Scott are superbly incisive in match analysis and provide superb insight which very often outscores the old school geezers.

What percentage would you expect in the Boardroom or Executive Team and why? Bear in mind that it takes a while to nurture more female participation in football. No value in token representation. Then again many men equally take more value than they add. Harry Redknapp perhaps?

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

5. Dean Smith leading recruitment so far. His template is for English/Scottish experience, ideally including Premier League football. 

https://theathletic.com/3352936/2022/06/09/norwich-transfers-isaac-hayden?source=user-shared-article

Remarkable shift from Template of Farke days - a European based nugget such as Buendia .Now we look for players with Prem experience , athletic and British, at their Prime ? 

Sounds expensive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Very encouraging to see the level of collaboration in the football depart headed by Webber. Healthy debate and Webbers pragmatism will see a great future for NCFC.

A little like Boris led the nation in getting back to partying.

2 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Nonetheless how many Premier League or EFL  players are female.

I mean, fair play for trebling down but this sentence was a particular highlight.

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

I mean, fair play for trebling down but this sentence was a particular highlight.

The answer Duncan is zero unless you include the WPL and one sentence can only be read in context. 

I would rather listen to Alex Scott than Harry Redknapp anyday. I mean that betting advert about only spending what you can afford. Try running that past a Portsmouth fan.

9 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Remarkable shift from Template of Farke days - a European based nugget such as Buendia .Now we look for players with Prem experience , athletic and British, at their Prime ? 

Sounds expensive. 

Not the only thing Brexit has made more expensive and difficult to deal with...🤩

• Like 1

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

The answer Duncan is zero unless you include the WPL and one sentence can only be read in context. 

I would rather listen to Alex Scott than Harry Redknapp anyday. I mean that betting advert about only spending what you can afford. Try running that past a Portsmouth fan.

What context would you like applied? Trying to justify your awful take on women in the boardroom by citing that there are no female players in the mens Premier League/EFL; what possible context am I applying to that which doesn’t make it a ****ing stupid comment?

Alex Scott for PM. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

A truly good summary. The biggest problem, as I see it, is how on earth do we trim the overly big squad of too many average, and in some cases, poor players.

How are we going to move them on?

I agree. With luck we can sell some and loan out others.

52 minutes ago, Davidlingfield said:

The most interesting thing in this article for me is Michael stating that the Hayden transfer was led by Dean Smith.

That feels to me to be a return to the more traditional “Manager” rather than “Head Coach and Sporting Director” and makes me question how the dynamic is working between Smith and Stuart Webber and who is actually driving recruitment now?

I think when you consider Smith had to go all January with no signings then letting him get one he wants early on is a good thing. Also the Hayden signing doesn't have many red flags looking from the outside, his injury history isn't perfect but it's better than a lot of players we signed when Farke was still here. 27 years old means he won't have much resale value if he's here 2/3 seasons but it's not like he is 30+ already.

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like we need to sell to make changes to the squad despite PL and parachute payments.

Is this “same old Norwich, always pleading poverty” or do we genuinely still need to sell to buy? A little worrying if that’s the case and surely means that the pot of gold you get from promotion doesn’t count for a great deal.

13 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Is this “same old Norwich, always pleading poverty” or do we genuinely still need to sell to buy? A little worrying if that’s the case and surely means that the pot of gold you get from promotion doesn’t count for a great deal.

It's fairly standard for relegated teams to sell more than they buy. The last time I can remember us not doing that was the season we got relegated with Neil and we then ended up making drastic sales in January anyway.

15 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

It's probably more they won't splash the parachute payments if the club can't afford it long term. Alternatively it could be we extended ourselves last year trying to stay up, and so there's less money now we are back down.

2 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

You want Alex Scott on the board at Norwich City? Because she’s a “football person”? As opposed to Zoe Ward who has worked in football for…and Delia Smith, who has been the Director at a football club for…?

Yeah. That’s a load of ****, isn’t it?

Dinosaur. 

I'm glad you were here to reply to that. One of the worst takes i've ever seen on a football forum.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

That makes sense, Am I right in thinking that we still get one season of full prem league money this season though?

Like, the way I see it - if we were in the prem league our finances would be tougher than what they are this year - is that correct?  The difference being that if we were in the prem league we have that extra season of guaranteed payments/parachutes etc.

In which case is the ultimate answer that we're budgeting for a few seasons in the championship in order to maintain 'decent' wages to attract the better players?

We don't get as much premier league money - about c40%, next year we will get slightly less and the year after nothing. If we had stayed up, our financial position would have been stronger this year because we would have received more "performance" money.

The budgeting starts to become harder now, because we have to plan on the assumption that we will not be promoted and therefore lose all parachute payments after next season.  Even without the hoped for investment, we will still be in a stronger position than most other teams in the championship as our normal (non TV) revenues are higher - bigger crowds + higher commercial revenue than most.

Farke's first promotion came without parachute money, as did Lambert's and Worthington's before him. Neill's and Farke's second promotion came with parachute money.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

It applies to most relegated clubs, rich owners or not. Not only have you got to protect the future of the club if you don't bounce straight back, you've inevitably got unhappy players who probably feel they could move on, whilst they've just been hit with an up to 50% wage reduction.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It applies to most relegated clubs, rich owners or not. Not only have you got to protect the future of the club if you don't bounce straight back, you've inevitably got unhappy players who probably feel they could move on, whilst they've just been hit with an up to 50% wage reduction.

Fulham were a notable exception last season but Sheffield United and West Brom both barely spent anything last season despite selling a few players.

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

So long as Hayden stays fit all year and we get that athletic box to box no.8 that Smith wants I honestly think that will be enough to get promoted in such a poor league so long as we don't end up selling any first teamers. Pukki, Idah, Hugill and Sargent is good enough at this level up top. Rashica, Dowell, Tzolis and Placheta should be good enough in wide positions. Hanley, Gibson, Omobamidele and Zimbo will be good enough at CB and Aarons, Byram, Dimi and McCallum/Mumba should be good enough at FB. The problem all last year was central midfield, if we address that we should be good enough to go up this year.

The squad will need major surgery if we get promoted and if we make a sale then we can add some of Smith's targets in other areas but this league is so weak right now and we will have good enough players for this level in every area so long as we bring in another CM. I think people forget how weak this league is, we don't have those cheat code players like we had last time in Buendia and Skipp but for me the league is weaker and we have enough depth to cover the amount of games and to account for injuries. Hopefully the set piece coach gets us a few more points as well. 

On the basis of what evidence do people keep saying Sargent will be good in the Championship?  

He works hard and runs about a lot.  Other than that, there is absolutely nothing to suggest he’s anywhere near good enough.  

Not to mention how much money we wasted on him and that he was signed to be effective in the Prem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sounds expensive. 

Also sounds antediluvian.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Very encouraging to see the level of collaboration in the football depart headed by Webber. Healthy debate and Webbers pragmatism will see a great future for NCFC.

Is this a serious post?  I assume you’re being funny, but wanted to check.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sounds expensive. 

I know what you mean, but the “sign cheap European unknowns” model has had some success at Championship level, several seasons ago, but hasn’t cut-it at Prem.  

5 hours ago, essex canary said:

The recipe going forward then is fewer players, more robust and athletic, more focus on homegrown and experience, hopefully fitter.

Sounds good to me. Raises the question though of why we haven't got there sooner and has the Director of Football really added such value to the equation? Surely he will be gone soon without too much of a pay off and takes his other half with him. Hopefully still a role for Neil Adams though not least in relation to improving the dead ball.

Agree on the first team recruitment side. Webber and Smith aren’t seeing eye to eye. But if Webber is off feeding the youth pipeline, building strategic partnerships with potential feeder clubs, and improving facilities while Deano manages the first team domain that seems reasonable. Can we get someone cheaper than Webber to do that? Yes I think we can.