Most likely surplus to requirements at Newcastle now I'd imagine. I would imagine it's highly unlikely we'd sign him back but hypothetically, would you take him right now after what you've seen of Dimi last season?

That is good news for him, I thought he was competent wing left back.  I wonder if Howe intends changing Newcastles formation for next season.

Of course he won't come back here. Both parties have moved on.

But Lewis is still only 24. So time is on his side.

If Newcastle can't give him game time, then a loan or permanent move would be better for him, than just becoming another squad player.

Logically, Jamal is younger, and arguably the better asset to have financially.  Plus another homegrown which helps squad.

But, I'm invested in Dimi's progress, and therefore want to see him do well, so no for me.

On a slightly different note, with Everton touted as Tarkowski’s next destination, I wonder where that leaves Godfrey? 

3 minutes ago, astro said:

On a slightly different note, with Everton touted as Tarkowski’s next destination, I wonder where that leaves Godfrey? 

Still at Everton just with less game time 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So can we all agree what a great job Webber did by getting £15 million for Lewis?

Agreed he has never undersold anyone yet.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I am just perplexed by this statement. Obviously your opinion but I'd say he's hardly drove hard bargains has he!

And for the record, I like SW, just saying it seems we have always sold on the cheap side and never let a budding ear commence (when rumour and player fork suggested there could be one)

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

I am just perplexed by this statement. Obviously your opinion but I'd say he's hardly drove hard bargains has he!

And for the record, I like SW, just saying it seems we have always sold on the cheap side and never let a budding ear commence (when rumour and player fork suggested there could be one)

I think what is rumoured and what is fact are usually miles apart. I can't remember the last time we've sold a player who had genuine interest from more than one club.

Arsenal were interested in Buendia but never bid on him as they wanted Odegaard. 

Leicester was the only team to bid on Maddison, so we were told.

We resisted Liverpool's low ball offers for Jamal Lewis. Newcastle came in for him sometime later.

I don't know of any bids, ever for Todd. Just alot of conjecture.

I mean in this day and age you don't really get bidding wars. Bids are not normally made until a team knows exactly how much it would cost. 

To blame Webber for not allowing bidding wars to happen is I think a bit naive. I just don't think if happens anymore.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tbh I just meant he hasn’t sold anyone on the cheap. No one be as yet has got a bargain from us.

Edited by Ulfotto

11 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So can we all agree what a great job Webber did by getting £15 million for Lewis?

He might not have great people skills, but he has definitely done a sterling job with all our big exports in Jamal, Godfrey and Maddison. Buendia I think perhaps we could have negotiated a bit more but I guess at the time we still turned a massive profit and were able to reinvest that in the squad. Obviously, it didn't pan out on the pitch but on paper it was still good business.

16 hours ago, AJ said:

Most likely surplus to requirements at Newcastle now I'd imagine. I would imagine it's highly unlikely we'd sign him back but hypothetically, would you take him right now after what you've seen of Dimi last season?

I dont think he's worth revisiting. Never a fan of returning players, unless they're exceptional.

What Webber got for Godfrey was an incredible deal that took advantage of Everton's stupidity in the transfer market. Lewis seemed about fair at the time and also Maddison. Buendia maybe slightly under but not much and time will tell on that one. Overall his selling record is very good. 

• Confused 1

Why do you say that?  Ben has faults but 8n the reports I read he was one of their best performers, plus he had an England cap, all for 20M

8 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

You think that re. Godfrey? I think fat Frank has Godfrey as #1 choice CB when fit

Takowski and Keane both England internationals too. The Mina had helped them get out of the mire but I feel he will move on. Mason Holgate is a good talent.  Squad game though and Godfrey has time in his side to develop into first choice but really it’s all up to frank. 

i see Everton have been linked with a move for Billy Gilmour today. 

23 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Why do you say that?  Ben has faults but 8n the reports I read he was one of their best performers, plus he had an England cap, all for 20M

He's not very good. Look at Grand Old Team and their fans are now realising that too. It was a stonking deal.

On 09/06/2022 at 06:43, Ulfotto said:

Tbh I just meant he hasn’t sold anyone on the cheap. No one be as yet has got a bargain from us.

,£180k for Srbeny and £900k for Nelson Oliviera have both proven bargains for the purchasing sides. 

On 09/06/2022 at 09:33, astro said:

...... defensive midfield per chance 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/06/2022 at 23:20, Ulfotto said:

Whilst I agree the fee for Emi was fair relative to the market, he was worth far more to us. 

3 hours ago, splendidrush said:

...... defensive midfield per chance 😉

That’s an interesting idea. Reverting to his former position. Surely he’s too good to spend too much time on the bench?

Godfrey will not becoming back soon.  He has the greatest potential of our current or ex-players since Maddison.  I was a bit worried last season when he started so well, that he was being moved around the backline because Everton had a spare centre back, but no left back.   He is at an age where he needs to play centre back consistently.

My only caveat to saying he has the most potential is if there is a player in the academy I have not seen.  Also Omobamidele looks great but I have not seen enough of him yet.

The best bit of business Webber did was selling him. Can’t remember if his biggest strength was passing the backwards or sideways.

certainly never used his speed attacking, which he could do well, however never used it.

Wonder Newcastle did not sue us, for obtaining  money under false pretences!!

5 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

The best bit of business Webber did was selling him. 

I always thought getting a combined £23m for Josh and Jacob Murphy was so good it should be criminal. 

Seems like our academy is struggling to come up with too much real talent over the years and just seems to be supplying the lower leagues with freebies.

Take Max out of the equation and we don't have much on the pitch to show for all those millions do we? After all is said and done.... isn't that what we pay our money to see on matchdays?