Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Set piece coach appointed

Well, he did good work with England in the last World Cup, but at the same time two of the teams in England's group were very weak. That Panama side would have been beaten by almost everyone in UEFA except for San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Gibraltar, Moldova and Malta. I do think the likes of the Faroe Islands and Luxembourg would have turned them over.

I think that this is good news and an important piece of the jigsaw next year, and especially if we go up.

Don't know anything about the guy and if he's any good but it's a role that is becoming more popular and I'm glad the club have brought someone in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, he did good work with England in the last World Cup, but at the same time two of the teams in England's group were very weak. That Panama side would have been beaten by almost everyone in UEFA except for San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Gibraltar, Moldova and Malta. I do think the likes of the Faroe Islands and Luxembourg would have turned them over.

I remember England using quite a good routine in the Panama game and immediately saying 'why on earth would you bring that out now?'.

Just now, repman said:

I remember England using quite a good routine in the Panama game and immediately saying 'why on earth would you bring that out now?'.

They were absolute gash. The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social XI on the world stage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are we really saying that today's football players need to be coached in set plays?

Give me strength.

How many times did we complain last season about the quality of our deliveries? Usually there was a request to see Vrancic come back, or a complaint that our corners rarely beat the first man.

Not to mention under Farke we often complained that we couldn't defend them.

If this gets us a few more goals from set pieces (and I'm hoping McCallum does have a serious long throw in his locker), it's worth looking at. Fair play to the club for giving this a go.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are we really saying that today's football players need to be coached in set plays?

Give me strength.

It's more to do with the creation of routines than simply teaching players to cross a ball.

Here's an example from the season just gone, it's certainly better than just whipping a ball in and hoping someone wins the header.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Give me strength.

3 goals from set plays all of last season says it all.

I think most sides have one. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

3 goals from set plays all of last season says it all.

I think most sides have one. 

The backroom staff will need a stand of their own soon.

I can tell them how to improve.

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Another Webber master stroke.

Clearly Dean Smith. Otherwise, why has it taken Webber four seasons and two failed premierships before the penny dropped?

Edited by Kingston Yellow

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Clearly Dean Smith. Otherwise, why has it taken Webber four seasons and two failed premierships before the penny dropped?Clearly Dean Smith. Otherwise, why has it taken Webber four seasons and two failed premierships before the penny dropped?

This.

City head coach Smith was delighted to have brought Russell to Carrow Road, saying: "We’re really pleased to have been able to appoint Allan as our new set-piece coach.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Actually, the composition of staff is the domain of the head coach.

GIYLF. 

The composition but the recruitment of the staff is by the DOF.

4 minutes ago, Mengo said:

This.

City head coach Smith was delighted to have brought Russell to Carrow Road, saying: "We’re really pleased to have been able to appoint Allan as our new set-piece coach.

Russell continued...........

"I know what the plans are for the club and how forward-thinking Stuart (Webber) and Neil (Adams) are. There are some really exciting and ambitious plans for how this club can continue to develop and I want to be part of that.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Like 1

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

He continued...........

"I know what the plans are for the club and how forward-thinking Stuart (Webber) and Neil (Adams) are. There are some really exciting and ambitious plans for how this club can continue to develop and I want to be part of that.

You don't give in Stu. 😉🙈👏

7 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Clearly Dean Smith. Otherwise, why has it taken Webber four seasons and two failed premierships before the penny dropped?

Maybe the previous coach already had someone coaching set pieces.

27 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Another Webber master stroke.

Except it says in the article Dean asked for him.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

When I first joined the club, I spoke to Stuart and Neil about bringing in a set-piece coach. I’ve worked with them at both Brentford and Aston Villa and I believe that there is a lot of untapped potential for us in this area.

Nice one Deano for trying to move the standards up .

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

One of Farke's backroom staff used to do the set pieces, not that they were particularly great and an appointment like this could've been done a long time ago anyway.

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

It says Dean asked for a set piece coach. 

Yes, and this is a set piece coach.

I know in this country bosses like to claim credit for their employees ideas but….

When Smith was appointed he only had Shakey as a coach, it is obviously a sensible move by the DOF to then decide with Smith what coaching roles they wanted to bring in and then get the best person possible for those roles.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yes, and this is a set piece coach.

I know in this country bosses like to claim credit for their employees ideas but….

Does Smith say he wanted to recruit this person or someone to fill that role.