Sign in to follow this  
king canary

New contract for Omo?

Looks like it, good news. Stops anyone sniffing around and will be a top player for us.

Wonder if that's also a sign that his injury issues are also behind him?

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Brilliant news- for me he needs to be one of the first names on the teamsheet next season and let Hanley/Gibson/Zimbo/Byram fight it out to play next to him.

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

Brilliant news- for me he needs to be one of the first names on the teamsheet next season and let Hanley/Gibson/Zimbo/Byram fight it out to play next to him.

I know that you are not Grant Hanley's greatest fan, but along with our keepers, we have the makings of a very strong back four at championship level. With OMO staying, there may be a case for moving Gibson on?

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

I know that you are not Grant Hanley's greatest fan, but along with our keepers, we have the makings of a very strong back four at championship level. With OMO staying, there may be a case for moving Gibson on?

Definitely agree with that, especially if Tomkinson looks like he can make the step up. I know it's unusual to have a left-footer who's comfortable at getting the ball out of defence, but we need more speed in there.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah I've got no issue with Hanley at this level but I'd be wary about moving a proven Championship performer like Gibson on unless we really needed to. Hanley, Zimbo and Omobamidele have all had injury issues previously and we don't want to be caught short. 

I'm also wondering if Smith has a plan to switch to a back 3 longer term which would necessitate having 5 central defenders on the books.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I've got no issue with Hanley at this level but I'd be wary about moving a proven Championship performer like Gibson on unless we really needed to. Hanley, Zimbo and Omobamidele have all had injury issues previously and we don't want to be caught short. 

I'm also wondering if Smith has a plan to switch to a back 3 longer term which would necessitate having 5 central defenders on the books.

Certainly, if he decides to play a back three it changes things. If, however, we play a back two, Zimbo, Byram, Tomkinson, Sorenson look like pretty good back up to me. If we keep too many older players we deny opportunity to the younger ones.

Great news. A big loss for us last season as we never really nailed down who partners Hanley.

He's a big threat from corners too.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Certainly, if he decides to play a back three it changes things. If, however, we play a back two, Zimbo, Byram, Tomkinson, Sorenson look like pretty good back up to me. If we keep too many older players we deny opportunity to the younger ones.

I'm not convinced by either Zimbo or Byram at this point- I'd personally rather keep Byram as a utility player and minimise the need for Zimmerman. Tomkinson is a total unknown at this point. 

I doubt anyone is bidding £5-6m for Gibson and I don't see any point in selling him for less.

Good news re: AO, was definitely a plus from last season and with Kabak not working out we did miss him.  Gibson wasn’t quite a week-in week-out PL player, played some decent games along with some bad ones.  It doesn’t feel likely a PL side would go for him and there’d be little point selling him to a competitor at this level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not convinced by either Zimbo or Byram at this point- I'd personally rather keep Byram as a utility player and minimise the need for Zimmerman. Tomkinson is a total unknown at this point. 

I doubt anyone is bidding £5-6m for Gibson and I don't see any point in selling him for less.

No one is that dumb !

Great news. I wonder if Smith see's him as one of our starting CB's next season?

Great news, I think Smith must be planning for him to play for a large proportion of the games.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Zimmerman is out of contract next year, he’s the obvious one to move on especially given his injury issues. I’d also say he’s probably 4th choice right now behind Gibson, Hanley and Omobamidele.

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

No one is that dumb !

You are aware that we are talking about football clubs right?

7 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

we were!

We weren't dumb. Gibson was excellent in the Championship and one of the reasons we got promoted. I get he didn't have a great season last time but the short term memories on here are ridiculous. 

• Like 11

Still had two years left, but now has four. At least if we go straight back up and straight back down he won’t become a free agent now. I think several of the players with two years left will get offered new contracts 

Brilliant news. Personally I thought he looked more accomplished than Godfrey at the same age. Worth noting his comments too about what brought him to the club and convinced him to sign on:

"It just shows the club has faith in me as a player and I am delighted to sign this contract. I moved from Ireland at 16 and since coming to the club with the U18s, the U23s and transitioning into the first team, it has always felt like a family club and that is one of the main reasons why I signed here, because I felt so comfortable from the first trials when I came at 16."

If we were to play a back 3 with wing-backs (something Smith has done in the past) Hanley, Omo, and Gibson would be pretty awesome in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Brilliant news. Personally I thought he looked more accomplished than Godfrey at the same age. Worth noting his comments too about what brought him to the club and convinced him to sign on:

"It just shows the club has faith in me as a player and I am delighted to sign this contract. I moved from Ireland at 16 and since coming to the club with the U18s, the U23s and transitioning into the first team, it has always felt like a family club and that is one of the main reasons why I signed here, because I felt so comfortable from the first trials when I came at 16."

I think this is the part of the job Webber does that is really key but won't get recognised as much.

When he came he talked about the lack of joined up pathways and transitions from youth team to first team. No doubt since Webber came in the step ups appear to have been smoother and we've seen the benefits. 

• Like 3