Sign in to follow this  
king canary

England v New Zealand Test Match

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Record chase by England in a 4th innings all over before lunch. 

In all my many years watching test cricket, the idea that England would chase down 380 runs for victory in the 4th innings would have been laughable. A truly remarkable performance. Also it's so pleasing that they have shown in this match that the new aggressive philosophy can be pursued without reckless abandon.

Let's hope they celebrate by screaming with joy right in Kohli's face.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

In all my many years watching test cricket, the idea that England would chase down 380 runs for victory in the 4th innings would have been laughable. A truly remarkable performance. Also it's so pleasing that they have shown in this match that the new aggressive philosophy can be pursued without reckless abandon.

Let's hope they celebrate by screaming with joy right in Kohli's face.

Ever so umble Kohli?

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Ever so umble Kohli?

Indeed! I can't stick him. He seems to get unmitigated praise for his competitiveness, but from where I stand his gamesmanship frequently breaches the etiquette of the game (for example, his screaming "celebration" of  Stokes' wicket in the first innings). 

• Like 1

I would just like to point out that when I said it would be, "a serious mistake to appoint Stokes as England captain", for some reason the board moderator removed the word "not" before the word "to" in the above quote.

4 out of 4 for Stokes, not a bad start!

When you set 370+ in the fourth innings and it goes títs up, the bowling captain will usually think "the new ball will get us out of this hole"

England didn't even give India that chance 

Amazing chase!

12 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Amazing chase!

Perfect choice for a new Barmy Army song to celebrate this new aggressive era of English counter-attacking cricket. "Amazing Chase" to the tune of "Amazing Grace".

You do wonder how this will affect the psychology of our opponents moving forward- knowing no 4th innings lead of under 400 is out of reach will change how they manage the game.

17 hours ago, horsefly said:

I would just like to point out that when I said it would be, "a serious mistake to appoint Stokes as England captain", for some reason the board moderator removed the word "not" before the word "to" in the above quote.

4 out of 4 for Stokes, not a bad start!

I think this forum would claim I similarly **** pooed the suggestion of bringing Bairstow back, when of course I meant he should be the first name on the team sheet...

6 hours ago, king canary said:

I think this forum would claim I similarly **** pooed the suggestion of bringing Bairstow back, when of course I meant he should be the first name on the team sheet...

Sounds like you're pooh poohing your own pooh pooh there KC 😉 

• Haha 1

On a serious note though, we have been witness to 4 of the most exciting tests in years, if ever. 

And to have 4 on the bounce is spectacular. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Sounds like you're pooh poohing your own pooh pooh there KC 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/06/2022 at 15:24, king canary said:

At this point I think England's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is almost impressive. If I was an England bowler I'd be raging at the way our batsmen find so many ways to fail no matter how well you set the game up for them. To finish the first innings only up by 9 when you've got your opponents all out for 132 and being 91-2 at one point takes a special kind of ****ness.

The 20-20 final against the West Indies always springs to mind when it comes to England’s amazing ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

All they needed to do was hope one of the last four balls would not cause a boundary for a score of six, while the West Indies needed four sixes from the last three balls.

England had the easiest of the two jobs, yet the West Indies got four sixes and won.

The World Cup was only won because of this “Super Over” tiebreaker thing, which didn’t exist when the tournament began.

Edited by KernowCanary

17 hours ago, Herman said:

Aaah, there you are England. We've missed you.. 

As will be all those who were looking forward to their day at the Test this weekend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

As will be all those who were looking forward to their day at the Test this weekend

With the train strike it was probably a blessing that England played so poorly.

Overall this has been a surprisingly positive summer of test cricket. I don't like the shorter series but I think I'm correct in saying we've played 7 tests against India, New Zealand and South Africa of which we've won 6 and lost 1. Very solid results considering the quality of opposition. 

Yep still a bit of balance to be found in the batting, and the openers are still a concern (Crawley just doesn’t look good even when scoring imo) but can’t really grumble. 

The standard of test cricket though at the moment is poor across the board. South Africa look as poor a South African side as I can remember, and I can’t help but feel England’s approach won’t have much success against the Aussies and India. 

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

Yep still a bit of balance to be found in the batting, and the openers are still a concern (Crawley just doesn’t look good even when scoring imo) but can’t really grumble. 

The standard of test cricket though at the moment is poor across the board. South Africa look as poor a South African side as I can remember, and I can’t help but feel England’s approach won’t have much success against the Aussies and India. 

I think my main concern is how we'll approach when we play outside of England. I can see a team batting in our style and having Jack Leech as the top spin option getting completely destroyed on some of the pitches you get in India for example. Still, they've been very fun to watch so far!

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's lawful but.....

It ain't cricket.

What I don't understand is if its lawful, why aren't they doing in the early overs? They only do it near the end when things are getting tight and tense.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It ain't cricket.

What I don't understand is if its lawful, why aren't they doing in the early overs? They only do it near the end when things are getting tight and tense.

My theory. I think it's an awful tactic that can only be used once in a game. Once it has been used batsmen remember to be wary again.