cambridgeshire canary

Var- Time to be scrapped?

Should VAR be scrapped?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should VAR be scrapped?

• Yes
    • No
    • oooh, third choice

Look, VAR is bad enough as it is but if there's one thing thats even worse is when you get an awful blind ref and then VAR comes in and you're thinking "well at least they will fix it" but no, they go and prove themselves to be too scared to go agaist said referee. Such a massive farce.. Nevermind how players are starting to get scared to celebrate when they score too out of fear it might get ruled out for whatever reason any second. It's just such a joke. Anyways,hard not to feel for Huddersfield fans today.. Hope Jon Moss pays them the 150 million he robbed them of sometime 😉

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Thanks 1

They'll never get rid of it now. Sadly it's here to stay.

Goal line tech was enough for me, it works every time, it's black or white. To think we used to moan about refs, VAR is the most corrupt thing they could have introduced into football. Too much money has been spent for them to scrap it now, and it won't be long until we have it in the lower leagues too.

• Like 2

Of course it should go. It should be there to correct wrong decisions but they don't do it, so if you're a Huddersfield fan today you can't put it down to poor refereeing, instead you put it down to corruption, what else is left? You'd be more distraught as a Huddersfield fan knowing VAR was in place today than if it wasn't.

You can't celebrate goals properly, it's a complete farce, the refereeing is inept and i've just heard Jon f*cking Moss is going to be Manager of PL refereeing, which tells you all you need to know. Closed club.

• Like 5

Yep - hate it.

Football is poetry not a science.

It was the Beautiful Game long before VAR.

Pele, Maradona, Best & Eadie didn't have it so why do we now?

Put it in the bin immediately - goalline technology should've been the end point of bolting new mechanics on to a game we all loved way before VAR was even conceived.

• Like 3

I love Eadie, that is one awesome set of players to group him with.  

I know this is not a popular view, but the decision are more often right now.  They need to make it faster and be clearer about it being for obvious errors.   It took a big step forward over the last 2 years, just need to polish it a little and reward players who stay on their feet, by playing advantage but coming back if a foul was committed.  Plus retrospective suspensions for diving, I.e. going to the floor when there was no contact.

Edited by Newtopia

I'd happily scrap it for a different reason. It results in IFAB rewriting the laws with that as a perceived back-up, and in doing so make it impossible to implement the rules effectively at grassroots level. For me, radical simplification of law is needed.

Agree that goal-line technology was probably as far as it should have gone.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd happily scrap it for a different reason. It results in IFAB rewriting the laws with that as a perceived back-up, and in doing so make it impossible to implement the rules effectively at grassroots level. For me, radical simplification of law is needed.

Agree that goal-line technology was probably as far as it should have gone.

Application at the grassroots is impossible as the training doesn't include reviews or cohort training of referees.  My son did his training this year there has been no mentoring and no feedback for him.

Do not even get me started on reasonable force in a shoulder challenge, a referee really does control the momentum of an entire game by being stricter or more lenient compared to another ref.  Never-ending their own decision making consistency which is really difficult.

Just now, Newtopia said:

Application at the grassroots is impossible as the training doesn't include reviews or cohort training of referees.  My son did his training this year there has been no mentoring and no feedback for him.

Do not even get me started on reasonable force in a shoulder challenge, a referee really does control the momentum of an entire game by being stricter or more lenient compared to another ref.  Never-ending their own decision making consistency which is really difficult.

Not just that, if you take the offside rule as an example, the myriad reasons that can result in an offside being given or not are absolutely impossible to nail with much certainty, especially when you consider that most of the time, referees don't even have neutral assistants.

This is the key reason why I maintain radical simplification is required.

VAR is based on a fundamental misunderstanding about contact sports and the role that technology can play in them. Yes, things like Hawkeye work perfectly well in tennis and badminton because they deliver a very simple fact - whether the ball/shuttlecock touches the line or not. Goal-line technology is essentially the same - did the ball cross over the line or not?

But decisions in contact sports can never be clear in the same way. Handballs, penalties, fouls, dives, all but the most obvious offsides - no amount of staring at video evidence from twenty-five different angles will give you an unequivocal decision. And that is before we even begin to talk about the fact that one group of VAR officials will look at an incident while another one will decide not to.

It's doing nothing whatsoever to enhance the quality of decision-making in games or to increase fairness. It should go, but obviously it won't, because the people who run football couldn't give a f**k about what the fans think or want.

• Like 1

VAR was conceived and introduced to provide drama and on-sofa entertainment for the millions of neutrals around the world watching on TV.

Its theatre, 'entertainment', football's equivalent of the ending of all of those garbage TV shows that end with "....and the winner of The Great Fry Up this week is...............(pause for tension)..................(pause for tension continues)..........(clips of contestants looking anguished).......Bert!!!"

Howls from the sofa.

"No way, no way was Bert the winner, his bacon was undercooked"

(and)

"Yes, it had to be Bert-his baked bean coverage was perfect"

Football just does it in another way. "...it's going to VAR.......(pause for tension).....(pause for tension continues)......(clips of players from both teams looking frustrated)......(clips of fans of both clubs looking indignant/put upon).........foul.... PENALTY"

"No way, no way did Toffolo get touched., it was a dive"

(and)

"Yes, it had to be a penalty-Toffolo was definitely brought down"

Great for TV., Kills the game for everyone at the ground though. But hey, Sky et al want drama for their buck, so VAR doesn't only stay, it creeps into the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I accept the first controversial decision could have been seen either way....... but the 2nd was a nailed-on penalty and I simply can't understand why VAR didn't look at it. Would be absolutely gutted if I was a Huddersfield fan

• Like 2

The beauty of football is/was its continuous flow. Speed and excitement (hopefully) mixed with individual brilliance.

Now its a game for the top six EPL clubs whose players are hard to identify at times and squads are so big.

And VAR was introduced because they said the game was too important to be changed or ruined because of a referees mistake.

So its funny that since VAR the big clubs have still won all the trophies.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course it should go. It should be there to correct wrong decisions but they don't do it, so if you're a Huddersfield fan today you can't put it down to poor refereeing, instead you put it down to corruption, what else is left? You'd be more distraught as a Huddersfield fan knowing VAR was in place today than if it wasn't.

You can't celebrate goals properly, it's a complete farce, the refereeing is inept and i've just heard Jon f*cking Moss is going to be Manager of PL refereeing, which tells you all you need to know. Closed club.

John Moss should stick to the record shop he own, utterly useless referee and this promotion he’s got just sums up what an utter joke this league is when it comes to officials.

9 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

VAR was conceived and introduced to provide drama and on-sofa entertainment for the millions of neutrals around the world watching on TV.

Its theatre, 'entertainment', football's equivalent of the ending of all of those garbage TV shows that end with "....and the winner of The Great Fry Up this week is...............(pause for tension)..................(pause for tension continues)..........(clips of contestants looking anguished).......Bert!!!"

Howls from the sofa.

(and)

Football just does it in another way. "...it's going to VAR.......(pause for tension).....(pause for tension continues)......(clips of players from both teams looking frustrated)......(clips of fans of both clubs looking indignant/put upon).........foul.... PENALTY"

(and)

Great for TV., Kills the game for everyone at the ground though. But hey, Sky et al want drama for their buck, so VAR doesn't only stay, it creeps into the Championship.

A million times this!

27 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

They'll never get rid of it now. Sadly it's here to stay.

Goal line tech was enough for me, it works every time, it's black or white. To think we used to moan about refs, VAR is the most corrupt thing they could have introduced into football. Too much money has been spent for them to scrap it now, and it won't be long until we have it in the lower leagues too.

Except when it doesn't... I'm looking at you villa v Sheffield United...

• Like 2

The problem is it's the same incompetent officials in charge of VAR that referee matches.

It's just one inept official passing the buck to another.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I love Eadie, that is one awesome set of players to group him with.  

I know this is not a popular view, but the decision are more often right now.  They need to make it faster and be clearer about it being for obvious errors.   It took a big step forward over the last 2 years, just need to polish it a little and reward players who stay on their feet, by playing advantage but coming back if a foul was committed.  Plus retrospective suspensions for diving, I.e. going to the floor when there was no contact.

The decisions were more often right than not before. VAR was brought into bridge the gap. If it isn’t resulting in near flawless decisions what’s the point?

15 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

The problem is it's the same incompetent officials in charge of VAR that referee matches.

It's just one inept official passing the buck to another.

Exactly. It's not VAR that's the problem, it's the ****ing idiots using it. The technology provided the opportunity to correct a moron being moronic. That another moron chose to ignore the evidence of his eyes isn't the fault of the technology.

We needed VAR because officials were useless. They put the useless people in charge of the fix and, quelle surprise, uselessness prevails.

Having said that, I may be being harsh, Moss and Tierney may have just been obeying orders.

Edited by canarydan23

1 hour ago, Old Shuck said:

Howls from the sofa.

(and)

(and)

Fantastic post, sadly accurate.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

The decisions were more often right than not before. VAR was brought into bridge the gap. If it isn’t resulting in near flawless decisions what’s the point?

I think there are less mistakes made, sadly I have no facts to back it up.

I'll never stop celebrating goals properly. I'd rather look a bit stupid for 5 seconds than let the machines win altogether, others should join me

I have always though that VAR has a place in football, I just think the way that it is implemented means that it is ripe for corruption.

It would be a better idea to have a similar system to that which is used in cricket or American Football. The manager/head coach should have a certain number of challenges to decisions (2 a game sounds reasonable, 1 per half). This way the on field decisions are mainly left down to the ineptitude of the referee, but it also gives a chance for obvious wrong decisions to be over turned.

Of course it is still open for abuse, but the big teams have always been favoured and this will never change.

I've not once thought "Oh, I'm so glad we've got VAR".

It's got a whole host of negatives and the one positive it's supposed to have, it doesn't actually do.

The only people who like it are the "I have BT and Sky and I have a Prem, Champs and Scottish side, I support them all"

The handball and offside rules are now framed to benefit the top teams, VAR just allows an extra layer of corruption!   Game has lost its integrity.   

VAR has also exposed refs to the fact they've never played the game at any serious level and just don't understand it.    

If I was in charge at Huddersfield, would be at the lawyers office this morning, suing the EFL!   Time some club did it.   Both were blatant  pens, no dispute.     

Here's a question no one has raised, if it wasn't a clear and obvious error, why was Toffolo booked?   

Edited by ged in the onion bag