TIL 1010

Those That Know Will Know.

Eamon Dunphy made Roy Keane look like Desmond Tutu.

I remember being in the Barclay and the Police had sent the Drug Squad alongĀ  to mingle in the crowd for when the inevitable trouble happened. And from what I remember a few of the local hard boys like Joey Sharpe and ray Pace turned up to sort out the Millwall lot. Spilled over as far as Rosary Road from what I remember. We had parked outside my Brother's house on St Leonards Road (opposite side of the road to the Nest) and were worried about the car with bottles flying about.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Strangely I can remember far more detail from those games fifty years ago than I can from most games this season.

Its an age thing I suppose, some things are just stuck in place forever.

Its funny you say that. People go on about the best goal scored at Carrow Road etc. I still remember clearly in 1974 in March because it was close to my Birthday, we beat Stoke 4-0 at home and our fourth was a brilliant free kick that mesmerised Stoke and four of our lads passed it first time and Johnny Sissons put it in.

I have looked everywhere for that goal on video but nothing so far. But I couldn't tell you much about our goals this season.

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Another one for Codger's Corner...IMG_20220529_232210.thumb.jpg.ce269f5a69bb4d114c96ed95c08b2866.jpg

Black shorts. Could be 69/70 or 70/71.

Graham Paddon joined in 69.

Any ideas about the player virtually hidden?

My eyes and/or my computer screen must be playing tricks on me because the shorts look dark green to me.

Just now, norfolkbroadslim said:

My eyes and/or my computer screen must be playing tricks on me because the shorts look dark green to me.

They are. We even played in green socks sometimes.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Yes it's my eyes or my computer screen.Ā 

Or both.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Eamon Dunphy made Roy Keane look like Desmond Tutu.

Ā 

Dunphy was a very good player in that era. Busy, strong and with good vision for a pass.

I also recall Kitchener, the Millwall Centre half. A decent stopper and good with his head. The goalie I think was a bloke called King, can'tĀ  remember his first name.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its funny you say that. People go on about the best goal scored at Carrow Road etc. I still remember clearly in 1974 in March because it was close to my Birthday, we beat Stoke 4-0 at home and our fourth was a brilliant free kick that mesmerised Stoke and four of our lads passed it first time and Johnny Sissons put it in.

I have looked everywhere for that goal on video but nothing so far. But I couldn't tell you much about our goals this season.

Yes, another West Ham old boy brought in by John Bond.

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Dunphy was a very good player in that era. Busy, strong and with good vision for a pass.

I also recall Kitchener, the Millwall Centre half. A decent stopper and good with his head. The goalie I think was a bloke called King, can'tĀ  remember his first name.

Ā 

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It was Bryan King

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Another one for Codger's Corner...IMG_20220529_232210.thumb.jpg.ce269f5a69bb4d114c96ed95c08b2866.jpg

Could it be David Cross (of the dangerous elbows!)?Ā Ā 

Edited by benchwarmer

So this is Lol Morgan and I think he could be with Bert Westwood...

72299870_Screenshot(83).png.2c54e2dc73141e860534f8057f1671d1.png

But are there any who know that know what's occurring?

My best guess...

1960s SoccerbotšŸ™ƒ

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My best guess...

1960s SoccerbotšŸ™ƒ

I think it could be the first draft plan of the new staduim at Thorpe Business Park proposed by Tom Cavendish.

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My best guess...

1960s SoccerbotšŸ™ƒ

I think he's looking for Watlings wallet.

10 hours ago, cornish sam said:

@ricardo, @PurpleCanary, etc. How the hell do you remember that much detail so quickly from a match 50 years ago based on one photo with no opposition in view?

It was easy for @ricardo, he just had to look at his Pinkun match report šŸ˜€

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

It was easy for @ricardo, he just had to look at his Pinkun match report šŸ˜€

I left my bike at the Barclay End in those days. In that little bike rack where they used to give you a wooden token with a number on it. (six old pence I think it was). Back in the days when you could have a night out for a quid.šŸ˜€

1899091477_Screenshot(84).png.8ea06b01e1a25a9fdc6fe52e16bd5d9f.png

Probably best remaining tight lipped....

Are any of those that know who know the ref's name? I know I should but can't remember!

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

1899091477_Screenshot(84).png.8ea06b01e1a25a9fdc6fe52e16bd5d9f.png

Probably best remaining tight lipped....

Are any of those that know who know the ref's name? I know I should but can't remember!

Mick Dennis?

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2022 at 13:31, ricardo said:

I think it was 'Kitchen'.

On 29/05/2022 at 23:30, nutty nigel said:

Black shorts. Could be 69/70 or 70/71.

Graham Paddon joined in 69.

Boulton & Paul in the background.Ā 

2 hours ago, Kathy said:

Well if that is the case Millwall had better get the signwriters to come back. šŸ˜‚

The Barry Kitchener Stand

Edited by TIL 1010

10 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Black shorts

C0NvTJLXgAAQfAW.jpg

Olive green? And the sadly recently deceased Neil Oā€™Donnell backĀ row far right.

Edited by PurpleCanary

On 30/05/2022 at 14:31, ricardo said:

Ā 

3 hours ago, Kathy said:

Kitchen King? Weird first name. Parents eh!

On 29/05/2022 at 10:49, Nora's Ghost said:

Numerous club owned bungalows around Sprowston dating back to the late 50s/early 60s built by Major Hackett.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I remember Ron Ashman and Ā I think it was Ken Nethercott living in a couple of houses on Dereham Road at the junction of Helena Road

On 30/05/2022 at 09:49, TIL 1010 said:

Koblenz Avenue looking a little bit different in those days. šŸ˜‚

I think that might be Carrow Road with Boulton and Paul over the other side of th road

Edited by Grumpy

On 30/05/2022 at 20:31, ricardo said:

I left my bike at the Barclay End in those days. In that little bike rack where they used to give you a wooden token with a number on it. (six old pence I think it was). Back in the days when you could have a night out for a quid.šŸ˜€

My parents rented a house on King Street, opposite Reads Flour Mill in the 60s. My Dad used to play football and he told me that the first time he came back from footy the back yard was full of bikes and the windowsill had loads of coins on it as the previous occupant had rented out the yard as a bicycle park. As word wentĀ round that there wereĀ new people were living in the house the numbers gradually dwindled until nobody left their bike there..........

..........and Harry Cripps at full-back .........God help any winger who got in his wayĀ šŸ˜Ø

Barry Kitchener. My family married into his family. A thoroughly nice bloke, typical old-fashioned defender and an utter Millwall legend. RIP.

• Like 1