Pete Raven

EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks

Maybe Delia has now given up on her dream of achieving PL survival as a self funded club, to try and prove breaking the bank isn’t always the solution for PL survival. I don’t like to say it but in actual fact I’m horribly nervous about this going ahead, as although my heart says we might become an established PL team, my head says we’ll be in huge debt they’ll be just like the Glazers, which I don’t want 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Please god. Well done Archant for getting this out in public so its harder for the owners to block it.

Hopefully the awfulness of this season has prompted a change of heart from them. 

They were there as guests of the club on Sunday apparently. You could argue that If that's true and this story is only coming out today it's pretty poor journalism. Not just locally.

Perhaps that explains why Webber has taken so long to give his long awaited interview. He's been busy doing his job?

Not taking sides. Just my  speculation 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You beat me to it.

Anyway, from what we know it sounds like they'd be pretty much on board with our model and not risking the future of the club which i'm sure would be pre-requisite for anyone we entertain.

For me, the biggest plus would be having the opportunity to expand the stadium, without having to take an expensive loan (hopefully) and without it completely destroying every part of squad-building whilst we paid for it.

I’m perfectly happy with that. If we can expand the ground, be a bit more punchy with the wage bill and have access to a bit more resource for those moments when it really matters (so you don’t have to sell your best player on promotion for example) then all is good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Did you see their stretch limos in the car park?!

The back wheels are on my drive.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Everybody else thought they were paying too much and pulled out. There were lots of clubs interested.

Bayer Leverkusen were unlikely to be relegated so a relegation wage drop would not be an issue - I would be amazed if any new owner agreed to continue to pay premier league wages in the event of relegation.

I wonder whether it's Brentford or everybody else regretting that?!

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Did you see their stretch limos in the car park?!

Ha ha excellent Mr P 😂 The club obviously knew I would be watching so parked in Rose Lane

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

“no-one wants to buy a club that isn’t at its lowest ebb”

I am happy to put my hand up to that one! I am amazed that US investors are buying (or buying into) us when we are not a distressed asset. I can't see why they would pay market value for us, when the market value of other clubs with similar (or greater) potential is much lower.

Glad  to be wrong if I am and hope that it's a capital injection rather than a buyout.

Need the help of @PurpleCanary or @shefcanary on this, but would the majority shareholders be able to offer new equity at below market value without approval of the shareholders as a whole?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally some positive news 👍, looks to me like investment to start with rather than a takeover but if successful would suspect the long term goal would be a full takeover. 

54 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Who cares! The new Obi-Wan Kenobi series comes out today!

Got up at 5 AM to watch it before work. What did you think? After being disappointed with most of the Disney era Star Wars I actually loved it. 

On the investment thing, I'll start getting excited once it's actually announced, right now it looks like it's in it's early stages and so many things can go wrong, no point getting worked up about it yet. 

Hats off to the 20 lads with a daubed bedsheet. Without their protests the club would not have listened to this prospective offer. 

• Haha 3

Guess the good thing is that after doing some research the milwaukee brewers are run very well by these guys and despite their smaller size compared to other teams they often out perfom them which is said to be down to how well run the club is..

59 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Who cares! The new Obi-Wan Kenobi series comes out today!

And Stranger Things series 4 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I wonder whether it's Brentford or everybody else regretting that?!

I think he's done ok, although played a lot at right back recently, I think. Probably a better fit for the style of play that Brentford adopted than us, but I certainly don't think it was a season breaker for us. On paper (yes, I know) I was far more excited by the signing of Kabak on loan with a view to permanent and many would have thought this the better deal at the time.

*(I doubt he'd have been a right back in a Farke team.)

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I am happy to put my hand up to that one! I am amazed that US investors are buying (or buying into) us when we are not a distressed asset. I can't see why they would pay market value for us, when the market value of other clubs with similar (or greater) potential is much lower.

Glad  to be wrong if I am and hope that it's a capital injection rather than a buyout.

Need the help of @PurpleCanary or @shefcanary on this, but would the majority shareholders be able to offer new equity at below market value without approval of the shareholders as a whole?

Fair play Badger! I also wait to see what kind of investment we’re talking, but given what I’ve read about the running of the other sports team this guy owns he does sound like the sort of person who espouses the same values of financial security and stability that Delia has (with varying degrees of success) pursued.

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

Nobody noticed for 28 years!

Yes, but what did you think of the play, Mrs Lincoln?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Delia will probably put it to a vote as has been said and the happy clapping saps who think she'll live forever will vote for her.

@cambridgeshire canary - let's be 'aving you?  

20 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Maybe Delia has now given up on her dream of achieving PL survival as a self funded club, to try and prove breaking the bank isn’t always the solution for PL survival. I don’t like to say it but in actual fact I’m horribly nervous about this going ahead, as although my heart says we might become an established PL team, my head says we’ll be in huge debt they’ll be just like the Glazers, which I don’t want 

Well according to The Cook, ............'any offer to buy the club' (IF indeed this is the intention) would be put to a supporters vote' so it will be our fault (as usual) if it goes ahead and then **** up!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Nah. Impossible. Delia refuses to even speak to people. Do I have time to tag in all the people on here who have said it?

One of two things is likely to happen here...

The absolute A1 outcome is that they buy Delia out in which case the ultimate dream of many of our fans is realised and we're happy for you to tag away as much as you want.

Alternative is that nothing of note really happens, this guy doesn't meet whatever "criteria" she's set up and it just reinforces beliefs that she doesn't want to give up her plaything.

Feels a bit odd though... there's been a lot of complaints about not hearing from the hierarchy and that Delia's not even listening to offers for the club. Then within a few days we get a heavily managed interview with Webber and now we're "linked" to a rich American.  Perhaps I'm getting more suspicious in my advanced age but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if this ends up being anything more than a show to appease fans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well according to The Cook, ............'any offer to buy the club' (IF indeed this is the intention) would be put to a supporters vote' so it will be our fault (as usual) if it goes ahead and then **** up!

Well of course it will you plum. Just say no then.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MrFruit said:

Hats off to the 20 lads with a daubed bedsheet. Without their protests the club would not have listened to this prospective offer. 

Never a true word spoken in jest..You never know if that manky sheet and shouty 20 were the straw that broke the Camel's back?....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

Never a true word spoken in jest..You never know if that manky sheet and shouty 20 were the straw that broke the Camel's back?....

It could have been the word "c.u.n.t." that did it

5 minutes ago, BarclayWazza said:

One of two things is likely to happen here...

The absolute A1 outcome is that they buy Delia out in which case the ultimate dream of many of our fans is realised and we're happy for you to tag away as much as you want.

Alternative is that nothing of note really happens, this guy doesn't meet whatever "criteria" she's set up and it just reinforces beliefs that she doesn't want to give up her plaything.

Feels a bit odd though... there's been a lot of complaints about not hearing from the hierarchy and that Delia's not even listening to offers for the club. Then within a few days we get a heavily managed interview with Webber and now we're "linked" to a rich American.  Perhaps I'm getting more suspicious in my advanced age but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if this ends up being anything more than a show to appease fans.

I mean, I doubt we paid some rich Americans to pretend to be interested, invited them to a matchday, and put them up in a hotel to appease 20 people with a blanket but each to their own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Well of course it will you plum. Just say no then.

I probably will. What way will you lean then Mr. Sparrow?

9 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

interesting 

@Badger as far as my knowledge goes, as the increase in shares was approved at an AGM, the Board are free to allocate as they see fit without advance sign off from the members.  However it would be polite to ask them to ratify it!

The main question is just how much of those shares are to be purchased (therefore what %age shareholding they will enjoy) and more importantly at what price.  I would suggest that is where negotiations are currently at, with the US team already having reached a figure on the cash injection and Smith & Jones negotiating the share percentage this injection buys them.  

I will just place on record, this news has totally blown me away! 🤯 It may come to nothing, but initially it does seem a good fit, but one I did not foresee as possible until the club was facing a financial crisis.  We live and learn.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

interesting 

This would be the ideal scenario - all the new capital raised would go to the club rather than having to pay out tens of millions to buy out the D +  M.

Edited by Badger
Question answered