Pete Raven

EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

You’re letting your class-war ideology show through. 

I'll tell you what, I'll hide away my class-war ideology and you hide away your ignorance, deal?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

I'll tell you what, I'll hide away my class-war ideology and you hide away your ignorance, deal?

Oops.  Struck a nerve there!

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Oops.  Struck a nerve there!

You're right, it wasn't a fair deal; if you hid your ignorance you couldn't post anymore.

• Haha 5

I've noticed a few of the schools in Norwich have decent turnouts for baseball games.  They got all the gear on and it looks pretty cool when driving past, last saw them between McDonalds and Notcutts to the left of Goals (the 5-a-side place).

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I get why people don't like Basketball, particularly with the NBA these days where they shoehorn in commercial breaks at an embarrassing rate and in shameless fashion. It's actually a sport that it's almost more entertaining the further down the sport you get. I'm biased because all my kids play it, but grassroots kids games are often more entertaining than elite level.

However, it's hugely popular among kids and like you say, massively accessible and cheap. It's a joke how little support it gets, particularly when an All Party Parliamentary Group reached a conclusion that there is "no more efficient sporting vehicle than basketball to improve outcomes for individuals and communities" and noted its success is addressing issues relating to education, inclusion, health, aspiration and gang culture".

Anyway, that's me off my pedestal, I'll stop dragging the topic down an unrelated tangent.

One for Attanasio longer term when looking at redevelopment around the Carra.  As discussed elsewhere a 4-5,000 arena close to the current ground would make a fine base for a Norwich basketball team.  Might win over a few politicians as well. Very Delia-like 😉 

American football is a great game.👍

Basketball, oh dear, you score we score, no thanks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Badger👍

And well done Davitt/Paddy/Paddy Davitt, great interview.

Armchair Arthur's gotta loosen their purse strings? 😯

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CirclePoint said:

I'll tell you what's boring; your predictable come backs.

Nothing says sports like a wrap-around digital marketing board at playing level.

To call  American sports 'boring' simply because you can't appreciation the style of tactical and strategic nuance applied is telling.

If you're unable to appreciate the level of precision and coordination that is required by 11 offensive players to execute an NFL play, while at the same time preventing 1 ton of muscle, fat and attitude trying to bury a quarterback, then I would be stupid to continue discussing the topic with such kinesthetically ignorant person.

There's a good boy. Now go back to watching your '80s 'huff ball' with your shandy and crisps

Alright, Tex, I’ll do that. And you can go back to your trailer and have sèx with your wife who’s also your sister.

American sports are lame, they’ll never catch on worldwide.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Played both and loved both as a younger man.

I think basketball is the best American sport personally, really great balance between, skill, tactics, athleticism and luck.

Its not that fun watching NBA anymore but playing the sport is special in my opinion.

57 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It's not for you though Ricardo it's to keep the kids off the streets, they can't figure out jumpers for goal posts any more! 😉

58 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Thanks Badger👍

And well done Davitt/Paddy/Paddy Davitt, great interview.

Armchair Arthur's gotta loosen their purse strings? 😯

A lot in here chimes with what Field said! 😉

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Played both and loved both as a younger man.

I think basketball is the best American sport personally, really great balance between, skill, tactics, athleticism and luck.

Its not that fun watching NBA anymore but playing the sport is special in my opinion.

Ice hockey for me (NHL) ... perfect blend of brawn, power, skill and dexterity.

The draft system sees the poorer teams rebuilding with awesome starlets and the better teams desperately trying to make hay whilst the sun shines. Everyone's rising then falling - then rising again!

Super competitive, super tribal, super fun!

The Stanley Cup is sport at its finest.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

Interesting. Again, you couldn't pay me to watch basketball, it bores me senseless. However I can't understand why a game that is so clearly well suited to playing in small spaces with inexpensive facilities is recieving less than Rugby. As a piece of public policy that looks pretty poor.

Surprised that handball didn't seem to take off here for similar reasons. Not to mention that in Germany, it's pretty normal to also play indoor football on a handball pitch.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Tbf, we’d have taken that this season over “you score, we won’t score”

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

It's not for you though Ricardo it's to keep the kids off the streets, they can't figure out jumpers for goal posts any more! 😉

Global warming has made it too hot for jumpers.

Yeeee Haw!  Our friends down the A140 will swear we have copied their business plan.

Yeeha.jpg.736fa95f1351a60d0e33d522a1a71aab.jpg

3 hours ago, 1902 said:

Interesting. Again, you couldn't pay me to watch basketball, it bores me senseless. However I can't understand why a game that is so clearly well suited to playing in small spaces with inexpensive facilities is recieving less than Rugby. As a piece of public policy that looks pretty poor.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

They've got broader international appear than you'd think. Well, at least the NFL does.

For instance, the Superbowl was watched by 4 million UK viewers, which given that it took place between 1am and 4am is mighty impressive.

For context, the FA Cup Final averaged nearly 6 million viewers (though did peak at 8 million) despite its more convenient time slot.

And whilst the NBA doesn't have the same TV appeal, Basketball is very popular for kids at grassroots and is criminally underfunded by our government, particularly given its ability to reduce crime and help young people in deprived areas. It is, in short, an absolute joke; between 2013 and 2017, Sport England contributed an amount to Basketball that was the equivalent of £9.25 for each participant. In the same period, Rugby Union received almost £60.00 per participate and cricket a whopping £70.72 per participant.

It appears that what Basketball needs to get popular is for posh, rich people to play it who probably could do without the funding anyway.

You need a lot more equipment per person to play cricket than basketball so I can understand the increased spend-but maybe not 7 times as much-but you couldn’t say the same for rugby.

6 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

You need a lot more equipment per person to play cricket than basketball so I can understand the increased spend-but maybe not 7 times as much-but you couldn’t say the same for rugby.

Have you seen the price of Nike Air Jordans? 😂

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Cricket is an awesome sport, football trumps it be only just. 

Indeed. Don Bradman was probably the greatest ever individual sportsman.

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

Have you seen the price of Nike Air Jordans? 😂

Psst, Nike Vaporflys. 😉

And that's running.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Also known as football under Paul Lambert.

26 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Psst, Nike Vaporflys. 😉

And that's running.

I remember when trainers were plimsoles, and bow to your greater knowledge 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

I remember when trainers were plimsoles, and bow to your greater knowledge 😉

£270 brand new. A mate of mine only ever races and trains in them. I took one look at the price tag and sod the nose bleed, it was nearly a cranial haemorrhage.

Rather get a set of Adidas Adizeros for my racing, and a cheaper neutral shoe (or several) for training.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

£270 brand new. A mate of mine only ever races and trains in them. I took one look at the price tag and sod the nose bleed, it was nearly a cranial haemorrhage.

Rather get a set of Adidas Adizeros for my racing, and a cheaper neutral shoe (or several) for training.

Alf Tupper didn't need fancy running shoes 😇

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Alf Tupper didn't need fancy running shoes 😇

Not if you only run on track, nope. 😉

On 27/05/2022 at 15:54, jaberry2 said:

Bring on the champions league. My feet lay firmly on the ground. 

Along with your immediately previous post, I deduce that you're a knee-trembler man.