king canary

Tzolis linked with Brugge

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

No surprise here. There seemed to be some odd belief from many on this forum that he was going to stay and tear up the championship, as if we were wrapping him up in cotton wool until then.

He cost something like 8 million - our club doesn't invest that kind of money for an academy player. 

He struggled to make the squad infront of semi-fit players.

Hopefully we can claw back a bit of cash although effectively no chance of breaking even. 

Says it all when Rowe and Sprigget can come fresh out of the academy and even they have got more time on the pitch then Tzolis

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Tzolis is the end, my friend.

I'm assuming you want to show him The Door(s)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Club Brugge now on verge of selling winger to Noa Lang to Ac Milan, €22m. Tzolis the replacement then

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Says it all when Rowe and Sprigget can come fresh out of the academy and even they have got more time on the pitch then Tzolis

But they have 'grown up' in this country and that can be a hell of an advantage. In some ways there will be even more pressure heaped on Tzolis in the Championship as the expectation is he will be absolutely brilliant or absolutely terrible. A loan away might be a half way house to aid his development. I think deep down we all think it's going to take him longer to reach the heights that perhaps Webber expected.

I think this is a move that makes a lot of sense.

Belgium league is a good quality league, with a lot of attention. He goes there on loan, does well, it either puts him in the shop window or gives us the chance to consider if he deserves another shot. 

Better than him hanging around here doing nobody any favours. 

2 hours ago, mastoola said:

If true it will just be a season loan to help him develop

I'd be shocked if a side in the champions league will develop a player for one in the championship.

14 hours ago, Canaryonthecommon said:

This was supposed to be his ‘Break on through’ season

He certainly didn't light any fires

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

He certainly didn't light any fires

With Rashica supposedly wanting out and Tzolis looking very likely to be moving on I hope on the wing is an area we are looking at.

Rowe and Springett are still very young and raw.

That leaves us with Hernandez and Placheta 🙈. That had a combined 1 goal and 0 assists in 47 apps the last time we played in the championship.

I thought it was interesting that Webber described our summer recruitment as "alright". There's only three explanations for this:

1) He's gone completely insane.

2) He thinks there's a possibility that the younger players he bought (Sargent, Rashica, Tzolis) can still come good.

3) He thinks that even if 2 is not true, it's not going to cause us financial problems. 

Tzolis going flies in the face of 2 and it does seem unlikely we'll get much of our investment back on him. I can see the logic in a loan to give him a fresh start, but surely you'd want to see how he develops. Very odd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Club Brugge now on verge of selling winger to Noa Lang to Ac Milan, €22m. Tzolis the replacement then

Leeds want him as well and can pay him more than AC are offering but he'd prefer AC as they're in the CL next season.

17 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think this is a move that makes a lot of sense.

Belgium league is a good quality league, with a lot of attention. He goes there on loan, does well, it either puts him in the shop window or gives us the chance to consider if he deserves another shot. 

Better than him hanging around here doing nobody any favours. 

It's not a bad league, but it is similar to the Dutch league in that footballing power is very concentrated. Pretty much Bruges and Anderlecht over the last ten years with Genk and Gent breaking it up a bit, Standard Liege aren't the force they were.

Could work well for him, he'd be on a team that's on the front foot.

Edited by TheGunnShow

" A younger Ronaldo" we were told when he signed, would love to see him have 1 season in the Championship 

3 hours ago, Mat McGoo said:

" A younger Ronaldo" we were told when he signed, would love to see him have 1 season in the Championship 

We're going to look pretty stupid if he does turn out to be as good as many people predicted. The fact that Smith hasn't played him is not enough evidence for me that he's 'crap', as many people have said on here, since I think Smith has far from proved that he can judge a footballer during his time here.

But if Smith is staying (which seems certain), we may as well sell Tzolis or loan him out because Smith is not going to play him. Personally I'd prefer a loan out with no option to buy. That way if Smith is useless and is gone by Christmas, we haven't burned our bridges on Tzolis, and a different manager might be able to kick-start his City career.

EDIT: And, to be fair, if Smith is as good as some people on here think he is, and we're flying high, we can still sell Tzolis at the end of next season.

Edited by canarybubbles

2 hours ago, Mat McGoo said:

By who?!? 😂 I definitely never heard that.

If it’s felt he needs a loan then so be it but giving an option to buy would be negligent. 

id prefer us to keep him and try and get him firing in the champ. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If it’s felt he needs a loan then so be it but giving an option to buy would be negligent. 

id prefer us to keep him and try and get him firing in the champ. 

Exactly. Whilst there is that lingering feeling that he could eventually become a revelation then, all thing being equal, we should keep him firmly anchored to Carrow Road.

I think his footballing talents go without say. It's the head really and the extent of his settlement at the club. I feel sure that Dean Smith is the right man to deal with any such matters.

The 'coming' of Christof Tzolis was one of the things I was looking forward to next season, and memories of that Bournemouth game remain.

People seem to think the £8m he cost was some huge amount of money, but in last season's terms in the PL, it was peanuts. Yes, it's quite a lot for Norwich to spend, but is not huge in the grand scheme of things - and if he does move, he will still be worth at least that much, based on what people know he is capable of.

His main problem seems to have been off the pitch and not being able to settle and not being able to get regular game time has just made it worse. It just hasn't worked out. So a loan would be sensible, but with a view to buy - people know his potential after all and if he does well, we will get our money back. Brugge is a good club, sounds like a good fit.

I feel sorry for him, he must of come expecting to make a significant step forward with his career, I wonder how well we helped him settle into the area.  An 18 year old up rooting themselves is huge.

There was a lot of hype surrounding him which probably hasn’t done him any good. Maybe his head’s gone and he became disillusioned with the club because of how cr@p that season has been? But if his heart isn’t here then it’s best for all parties to sever the ties. It’s a shame but let’s not let the situation linger drift towards Todd territory - the less dramas this summer the better.

It's funny how several seem to be suggesting that we should only loan him out of there's no option to buy as we don't want to lose him if he does well, yet there are also a lot of people on this forum saying that we should only loan promising youngsters in if we have the option to buy, to ensure that we don't lose a key player if they do well.

You can't have it both ways, or there would never be any loans of youngsters.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's funny how several seem to be suggesting that we should only loan him out of there's no option to buy as we don't want to lose him if he does well, yet there are also a lot of people on this forum saying that we should only loan promising youngsters in if we have the option to buy, to ensure that we don't lose a key player if they do well.

You can't have it both ways, or there would never be any loans of youngsters.

You can have it both ways, as long as you're a big club.

I'd like to see the whole loan system outlawed unless every loan included a right to buy at the end of the loan. The loan system as it stands enables the big clubs to collect promising youngsters and eliminate their risk by loaning out young players to clubs further down the food chain. I know we do this at a much lower level, but that doesn't make it right.  

• Like 1

On 28/05/2022 at 15:31, Move Klose said:

With Rashica supposedly wanting out and Tzolis looking very likely to be moving on I hope on the wing is an area we are looking at.

Rowe and Springett are still very young and raw.

That leaves us with Hernandez and Placheta 🙈. That had a combined 1 goal and 0 assists in 47 apps the last time we played in the championship.

And Todd Cantwell who as it happens is quite handy 

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

You can have it both ways, as long as you're a big club.

I'd like to see the whole loan system outlawed unless every loan included a right to buy at the end of the loan. The loan system as it stands enables the big clubs to collect promising youngsters and eliminate their risk by loaning out young players to clubs further down the food chain. I know we do this at a much lower level, but that doesn't make it right.  

But the thing is, we're not a big club in the grand scheme of things. Also, big clubs don't generally loan promising youngsters in from other bigger clubs, and if they do, it's usually a 'try before you buy' with an option.

I'm not sure a club of our size is realistically able to demand that any youngsters we loan from a big club must have the option to buy, and at the same time insist that any youngsters we loan out must not have one.

In Italy for example, it's quite rare to see a loan without an option. Often when big clubs loan out young players to smaller clubs there will be a 'riscatto', which is basically an option to buy, and also a 'controriscatto', which is a counter-option for the parent club to buy the player back for a slightly larger fee than the initial option. 

I do agree that the loan system needs an overhaul to stop big clubs stockpiling youngsters, and I believe new regulations are coming in to limit the amount of players that a club can loan out at any one time.