Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Let's get this "slagging off fans" in perspective

Webber doesn't help with his assertive style, but all he is trying to get across is that fans are part of any success we have - and they are also part of any failures we have too. I know some fans like to think they are wonderful and can do no wrong, but the point is when talking about the togetherness of the club, fans have to be included in that - in good times and bad.

I've lost count of the arguments I've had on here over the years about this. Fans are happy to take the praise when things go well and are "the twelfth man" and all that kind of thing - and that is well and good, but the opposite is true too - if the fans are depressed/worried/nervous/angry/negative/apathetic - that transmits to players too.

And Webber is right - there were some fans writing us off near the start of the season. There were boos quite early on at substitutions and after bad results near the start. The Watford home game was one - yet that was a very close game - yes, we were poor, but a rowdy up for it crowd might have helped.  Yes, it starts with the players - but the fans can help.

Its been said many times - as a club we need everything going for us to be successful - and that includes fans. So when someone - whether it's me on here, or Webber, or anyone else, they are not saying fans are bad - they are just saying that fans are an important part of the equation - and could do more.

Some fans go along expecting to get good football, goals, wins, fighting spirit and all that, but as soon as things get difficult they go into their shell, or react negatively. Others and I would include myself in this - would tend to be more vocal, more supportive when things are difficult, because they see or think that is what is needed.

So next time someone says some fans had given up early this season, don't just attack that as if it wasn't true, because to a certain extent it was true - some sections had given up on us. The truth hurts sometimes, but sometimes it needs to be spelled out and actually I admire Webber for having the guts to say what he thinks.

The whole "togetherness" thing involves fans - I know I'm wasting my time with this, because some people will never understand it, but that's what I think and what I take from what Webber and Farke have been saying ever since they arrived....and Alex Neil before them. Fans are an integral part of what the club does on the field and the best scenario is that they are supportive when things are difficult as well as when it's easy to get behind the team. Quite a lot of fans are of course, but it doesn't take much for a vocal minority of negative fans to put a downer on things.

If we are to do well next season we need a positive outlook from the beginning. I'm sure we'll get it and if things go well the negativity will be well hidden, but if you are one of those that tends to get all negtative when things go bad, then try and think of the effect that negativity will have. It won't help the team, that is for sure, but being positive definitely can help when a team is struggling. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Webber doesn't help with his assertive style, but all he is trying to get across is that fans are part of any success we have - and they are also part of any failures we have too. I know some fans like to think they are wonderful and can do no wrong, but the point is when talking about the togetherness of the club, fans have to be included in that - in good times and bad.

I've lost count of the arguments I've had on here over the years about this. Fans are happy to take the praise when things go well and are "the twelfth man" and all that kind of thing - and that is well and good, but the opposite is true too - if the fans are depressed/worried/nervous/angry/negative/apathetic - that transmits to players too.

And Webber is right - there were some fans writing us off near the start of the season. There were boos quite early on at substitutions and after bad results near the start. The Watford home game was one - yet that was a very close game - yes, we were poor, but a rowdy up for it crowd might have helped.  Yes, it starts with the players - but the fans can help.

Its been said many times - as a club we need everything going for us to be successful - and that includes fans. So when someone - whether it's me on here, or Webber, or anyone else, they are not saying fans are bad - they are just saying that fans are an important part of the equation - and could do more.

Some fans go along expecting to get good football, goals, wins, fighting spirit and all that, but as soon as things get difficult they go into their shell, or react negatively. Others and I would include myself in this - would tend to be more vocal, more supportive when things are difficult, because they see or think that is what is needed.

So next time someone says some fans had given up early this season, don't just attack that as if it wasn't true, because to a certain extent it was true - some sections had given up on us. The truth hurts sometimes, but sometimes it needs to be spelled out and actually I admire Webber for having the guts to say what he thinks.

The whole "togetherness" thing involves fans - I know I'm wasting my time with this, because some people will never understand it, but that's what I think and what I take from what Webber and Farke have been saying ever since they arrived....and Alex Neil before them. Fans are an integral part of what the club does on the field and the best scenario is that they are supportive when things are difficult as well as when it's easy to get behind the team. Quite a lot of fans are of course, but it doesn't take much for a vocal minority of negative fans to put a downer on things.

If we are to do well next season we need a positive outlook from the beginning. I'm sure we'll get it and if things go well the negativity will be well hidden, but if you are one of those that tends to get all negtative when things go bad, then try and think of the effect that negativity will have. It won't help the team, that is for sure, but being positive definitely can help when a team is struggling. 

What’s your answer to having a more “rowdy up for it crowd”?  Safe standing in the Barclay and Snakepit?  Specifically designated “singing” areas?  Not just allowing but encouraging the drum?  Loudmouth bloke with a megaphone to start and maintain the chanting?  Compulsory beer before the match and at half-time?  Win bonus of £1 for every home supporter?  But whatever is suggested it’s an uphill struggle because by and large the NCFC fan base has always been a bit on the quiet side and perhaps we just have rather too many passive spectators rather than active supporters.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

What’s your answer to having a more “rowdy up for it crowd”?  Safe standing in the Barclay and Snakepit?  Specifically designated “singing” areas?  Not just allowing but encouraging the drum?  Loudmouth bloke with a megaphone to start and maintain the chanting?  Compulsory beer before the match and at half-time?  Win bonus of £1 for every home supporter?  But whatever is suggested it’s an uphill struggle because by and large the NCFC fan base has always been a bit on the quiet side and perhaps we just have rather too many passive spectators rather than active supporters.  

Not a short term answer, but long term build a bigger City Stand so the atmosphere doesn't leak out so easily, allowing (via increased availability and lower pricing) for new younger fans to attend and hopefully congregate together (also assuming that proposed daft "U14 must be accompanied" rule doesn't come in), be it SnakePit / lower Barclay and out-sing the opposition.  The cost should be cost effective long term if the better atmosphere keeps us in the EPL on promotion.

Edited by shefcanary

25 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

How about the clappers making a comeback? 😉

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

How about the clappers making a comeback? 😉

When Leicester did them they were great and inspired, when we did them they were tinpot...

I thought his comments about the fans was pretty much spot on.  I am not sure we believed enough, on the flip side I did not understand what he expects with the media, when everything is going wrong they are not going to sing the clubs praises, especially when the club keeps them at arms length, they were rarely given an inside scoop or prior warning of events.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

What’s your answer to having a more “rowdy up for it crowd”?  Safe standing in the Barclay and Snakepit?

Just rip the seats out, this safe standing **** looks more dangerous to me with chairs and metal everywhere around you.  Get shoulder to shoulder and bounced around a bit. 

Also get some nastiness in the team, bring some blood & thunder in to pump the crowd up.   We don't have a single ****house in this squad, yet we seem to come up against one every week.

So much around the club is squeaky clean and family-friendly.  Most kids once they're past 10-11 don't want that, they like a bit of spice too.

I hear more talk about meal deals and moaning than I do genuine support for the lads, and it winds me up. 🤬

4 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I thought his comments about the fans was pretty much spot on.  I am not sure we believed enough, on the flip side I did not understand what he expects with the media, when everything is going wrong they are not going to sing the clubs praises, especially when the club keeps them at arms length, they were rarely given an inside scoop or prior warning of events.

Also with negative press, surely the only way to change that is to fight for every point, get some momentum and then change the perception of little old Norwich. 

• Like 1

Am sorry but the fans had zero to do with us going down ..not believing ?? That’s when players should put a shift in abs prove people wrong . whenever we turned up and were up for the fight in most of those crucial home games yet again the players didn’t  and we were often goals down  which killed any atmosphere anyway . We could be the noisiest fans in world but if players not good enough to compete and make basic errors week after week after week it makes no difference. The fans didn’t give up but the club did by selling our best player and not replacing him properly and by not signing crucial players in key positions. Most damming was no reinforcements in January when we desperately needed some help up front not even a loan .. that said to me the club knew we going down and gave up. Nothing to do with fans ..!! 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Is it really a surprise fans didn't believe enough? The manger himself declared we had no chance in the first few games and then the team totally no showed in our 'season starts here' game. Fans have to be given something to believe in, especially after how badly our last Premier League season went.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The atmosphere has been pretty awfull at CR for a number of years. Barring a season or 2 under Farke and Lambert.

What the fans want is a solid team willing to run and work for the shirt= give them that and the fans will stand by them- its not alot to ask for is it. what we seen this season is that some players could not be asked

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Is it really a surprise fans didn't believe enough? The manger himself declared we had no chance in the first few games and then the team totally no showed in our 'season starts here' game. Fans have to be given something to believe in, especially after how badly our last Premier League season went.

It is too simple to group everyone together, and the manager did seem to have chunked in the towel early, yet I also thought once Emi went a lot of fans were disappointed and perhaps not as resilient as you would hope.

Totally disagree with the OP on this, there is no "perspective" from where I am standing. There was no need to mention the fans in anything but a positive manner, which he did later in the interview. Norwich City want to think themselves damn lucky that season ticket renewals are as high as they are after two absolutely dire seasons in the Premier League. This so called honest, straight talking man was not brave enough to put his hands up for messing up big time on the recruitment of players, are far as I am concerned he should not have said what he said, particularly about not renewing your ST if you are unhappy, that just demonstrates a total lack of understanding of what being a football is and what it means. 

The buck stops with Mr Webber, he is responsible for player recruitment, he glossed over the reason we got promoted last season, Buendia providing the ammunition for Pukki, I really hope that is addressed because if it isn't then we will not get promoted, roll on a year and will Webber be blaming the fans again.

The sooner he is no longer part of Norwich City the better as far as I am concerned.........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

The atmosphere has been pretty awfull at CR for a number of years. Barring a season or 2 under Farke and Lambert.

We have always been quite quiet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

It is too simple to group everyone together, and the manager did seem to have chunked in the towel early, yet I also thought once Emi went a lot of fans were disappointed and perhaps not as resilient as you would hope.

How resilient can you be? A reminder that the league season started like this...

0-3

0-5

1-2

0-1

1-3

0-2

0-0

0-0

0-7

1-2

2 points from a possible 30, 3 goals scored, 25 conceded.

I do get the idea that fans can help by getting behind the team but I absolutely don't blame a single person for not believing after watching those results and performances on the back of the previous Premier League campaign. At some point the players have to give the fans something. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

How resilient can you be? A reminder that the league season started like this...

0-3

0-5

1-2

0-1

1-3

0-2

0-0

0-0

0-7

1-2

2 points from a possible 30, 3 goals scored, 25 conceded.

I do get the idea that fans can help by getting behind the team but I absolutely don't blame a single person for not believing after watching those results and performances on the back of the previous Premier League campaign. At some point the players have to give the fans something. 

And amazingly after that, and the similar debacle 2 seasons before, some still thought that DF shouldn’t have been sacked.

Webber or perhaps his missus didn't want more Norwich fans at Chelsea despite Farke's conviction that fans make a difference.

A passive fanbase filling the ground no matter what has given the club a charter to use and abuse them while taking their money for a poor product.

Root and branch change now or expect to have the same old tripe served up cold with a promise of something better for dessert.... which of course never comes.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 17:29, lake district canary said:

You’re completely missing the point Lakey. What he was saying may have been a completely reasonable observation for an objective 3rd party to make.

But when you’re the Sporting Director of a club that’s just been pathetically relegated for the second time in 3 seasons on your watch, failing to take any personal responsibility for that and then within two minutes of the interview laying a level of blame at supporters… it’s unbelievably tone deaf.

Make these comments after a summer of activity as a rallying cry for next season, absolutely fine. But in his position the timing and what he said was embarrassingly dumb.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 3

On 26/05/2022 at 17:29, lake district canary said:

Agree 100% with what you say but you'll be struggling to get some on here to change their views. Normally it's the "I pay my money" card that'll come out 🤭🤭🤭 Then you get fans dissecting every single word SW has said and what angle he's coming from and is Mars in line with Saturn...and it'll still be spun to suit! Don't know what some people want. 

Edited by tea total
  • Sad 1

On 26/05/2022 at 18:29, lake district canary said:

Let's face it, it's only the so-called fans that his insults actually apply to who are upset; the rest of us are just watching in amusement. 

• Like 2

Pretty patterns of play get a clap and sometimes a gasp of admiration but what really gets our crowd going is full blooded challenges, players working hard and pressing, winning headers and challenges, fast forwards running at players and beating a man, shots on goal etc 

Our team at the start of the season did none of that, we sat back passively off the ball, when we lost it we gently trotted back, in possession all we did was pass it slowly between our CB's then lose it as soon as we played it to a full back and we created few chances, how are we supposed to get behind that? We're a bit better now, but the players are totally unsuited to Smiths way of playing, they're mostly all too soft, too slow, too weak and forget they're still in a game when they don't have the ball. It's hard to get behind a team so limp and ineffective. the best way to sum this season up is it was men against boys, its so deflating being in the crowd watching us get so badly out run, outpaced, out muscled, out fought and out worked every game, it just sucks the will to live out of you

Spot on LDC. Blaming the supporters? Not what I heard. He said they rapidly got fed up & disillusioned - because of results, not because of some sort of moral defect.

When you recap the litany of adverse factors this season it's a bl00dy miracle we got any points at all, & I'm being serious. Playing teams like Liverpool & ManC with personnel who haven't got a clue who each other are is suicidal - but we had no choice.

None of our gambles paid off - but I don't recall posters saying they were all rubbish when we signed them. Most thought it was a good window overall. Yes, we couldn't see the Skipp & Emi replacements but that was always going to be extremely difficult. like it or not we're not the most attractive club in the country for ambitious, talented young players.

All clubs get injuries, but ours often arrived at critical moments.

Our luck was appalling (or there were a multiplicity of low probability bad events occurring if you prefer). For a bigger club this isn't so bad, you have the players & resources to cover such situations. At PL level we simply do not.

Next season we give it another bash. Let's hope we can fight our way back into contention again. Whatever, enjoy the ride ...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Let's face it, it's only the so-called fans that his insults actually apply to who are upset; the rest of us are just watching in amusement. 

Usually the case, and not football-related either.

• Like 1

I can't say exactly what fans were hoping for from this interview, but I would guess a lot were expecting Webber to take a major share of responsibility for the poor season instead of making a series of excuses and finger pointing. It's not about the 'fans' comment in isolation, it was yet more disasterous PR from him.

We keep hearing that most sporting directors don't give this level of transparency, week maybe Webber should take note and stay out of the limelight. Not really sure what he thought was gained by this interview, certainly not appeasing the fan base

• Like 1

Nobody takes the blame for anything anymore. Ask the PM.

The fact is, we are getting worse in terms of playing in the EPL. Our recruitment is worse. Our energy is worse. Our ability is worse.

So I don't blame the home support for anything this season. They were sold short once again.

• Like 1

The support inside Carrow Road and away grounds has been good all season. There was booing through frustration but by the time the next game came round the supporters were up for it.

Contrast this with match threads on here where the posters seemed to give up as soon as the team was announced. 

It's chalk and cheese really. Hard to imagine we watch the same game.

• Like 2

Maybe it was the fans that did not turn up at away games, although I thought it was the club that took small allocations at most grounds effectively barring many fans from following the club around the Country, Chelsea a prime example, where the club stopped me offering my ‘ positive ‘ support.

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

The support inside Carrow Road and away grounds has been good all season. There was booing through frustration but by the time the next game came round the supporters were up for it.

Contrast this with match threads on here where the posters seemed to give up as soon as the team was announced. 

It's chalk and cheese really. Hard to imagine we watch the same game.

Although it did look at times as if the team had given up as soon as it was announced.😄