cambridgeshire canary

Webbers full interview, out now

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

What is interesting is it isn't just Archant- reporters from local BBC and ITV news both say they've been denied interviews too. So he seems to be shutting the entire local media out.

Unless they have something up theirĀ sleeve, they will have to back down from this. You can't just ignore all the local media, however much you may want to.

OnĀ  the other hand, I remember a quote but cant recall who it was which is along these lines:

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove any lingering doubt!!

1 hour ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Local media put out because Club given up talking to them. Ā Not surprised when all they do is stir things up, looking for a reaction to sell more papers etc. Ā Talk for the sake of talking and saying nothing that we donā€™t all see and know. Ā Always having polls which is undermining for the club and players. Ā Everything is cyclical and weā€™ve seen it all before over the years. Ā The season is over and we should move on. Ā OTBC!

On the contrary....I think all walks of the Norfolk media forĀ the quarter of a century duration plus of the stewardship of Delia an' Micky, have been more than fair and restrained and unwilling to criticise any aspect of the club....It's about time the canary feathers were ruffled.....they've been getting away with it for far to long....Radio Norfolk at 6pm will be interesting listening tonight....

4 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Thanks so much for this. A really useful insight and explanation. That interview, thought honest (to a point) further demonstrates your notion of Webber as ā€œmaverickā€ in a land where he is law. Less Judge Dread though.. more Judge John Deed.Ā 

For me, this is where the protestors are going wrong. Though I appreciate their efforts, simply yelling ā€œDelia outā€ etc provides little;Ā say she went tomorrow then what? What Iā€™dĀ love to see is protestors yelling ā€œCEO in!ā€Ā or ā€œInfrastructure review!ā€ Because thatā€™s clearly whatā€™s needed here. Throwing the baby out with the bath water isnā€™t going to get any of us what we wantĀ but if the protestors had clear and formed intent then potentially they might get listened to and we might see more structure implemented in the board room as your post points out.Ā 

No worries!

As for the bit in bold, Purple, Badger and I have been trying for weeks on here to come up with a snappy slogan that underlines our current position, but being the bureaucrats we are šŸ˜‰Ā have failed miserably - oh for that common touch!Ā šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚Ā 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

@Danke bitte

Firstly I am not criticising Webber on specifics here, just the mechanisms that have led to the statement, albeit noting that the fans and the local media are not 100% supportive of what is going at the club at the moment.Ā 

The contradictions made by Webber in this interview bear out why a CEO is necessary.Ā  Webber is currently the front person in the media for Board and senior executive decisions;Ā he is not from a PR background, coming across asĀ an enthusiastic amateur.Ā  It is great to hear from the club and that he has taken on this responsibility.Ā  HoweverĀ I think it true to say that recent events and today's interview when addedĀ together show a lack of control over the message ofĀ the questionsĀ that fans and the local media want answering.Ā Today's message does demonstrate what is on Webber's mind, be it his view of the past, Mount Everest or what happens to recruitment next.Ā 

A CEO would help him to get across a clearer message.Ā  More likely they would take the responsibility on themselves and importantly let Webber get on with the job of providing some ammunition to Deano. There are more issues at the moment that fans and the media want answers to other than Webber's position.Ā  AĀ CEO would take counsel from all the executive and report this in a more even handed way, not only showing they are in charge of all aspects of the club, but have challenged executives over what learning they take from a very disappointing season and hopefully presenting a clear action plan for what is going to happen next.Ā 

With the best will in the world, can you see Zoe challenging Stuart over his recruitment policy, whilst he challenges her over the ticket pricing?Ā  Can you also seeĀ Zoe reportingĀ to the Board on Webber's behalf and taking responsibility for the decision he makes?Ā  If that is what they discuss at work fine, but how does it affect thier homelife?Ā  As I have said elsewhereĀ her role on the Board is reportage and conduit of the Board'sĀ view, but does not provide an ability to ensure their views are implemented as in the current organisationĀ she cannot instruct Webber what to do.Ā  That is the role of a CEO!

This highlights the other main weakness of corporate governance at the club.Ā  The acronym of PLC at the end of the organisation's name should be taken seriously.Ā  The club is a public company with over 6,000 shareholders.Ā  Sure, two of them (another married couple natch) jointly have 53% of the shares and thus control things, but if it is truly the "community club" that one of thoseĀ two say it is, they need to demonstrate this by having BoardĀ accountability as well.Ā  An independent Chairperson would provide this, ensuring that executives are held properly to account for their decisions, but also ensure the Board maintain a proper stewardship of the club.

The Chair would also ensure that the Board has a clear strategy for the CEO to follow (the five year plan no less), challenging the CEO and in turn the executive that they are doing everything possible to meet that strategy, and if not what resource is required to do so, wheter appropriate personnel or additional resource.Ā  [As an aside here Webber today made out that this seasons' relegation was part of the plan, was it the Board'sĀ plan?].Ā The club has had good independent chairs in the past (e.g. Bowkett) so why it has ditched this role and the CEO baffles me.Ā 

Given what has happened this season, I'm afraid the picture of Board meetings I have are unlikely toĀ bring great comfort to those shareholders.Ā  AĀ couple on the Board effectively handing over running of the club to another couple just looks too darn cosy, with polite but inconsequential conversation around a pub table over pints and a pie springing to mind.Ā  Meanwhile, we have a maverick who whenever he tries to right a position just seemingly makes a bigger hole for himself diverting his attention from the problem at hand, supported by someone who probably doesn't have the necessary skills but more importantly the true independence to challenge him on those mistakes.Ā Ā Ā Ā 

So a CEO allows executives to do what they are best at, challengingĀ them to admit frailties' and highlight where they need help (which the CEO shouldĀ provide), whilst seeking action plans that when pooled together ensure the Club meets its strategy.

Hope this helps.

Shef, good post and thank goodness you've dropped your obsession with that impenetrable corporate governance nonsense you normally blather on about...šŸ¤“

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Take the point, but Everton's fans essentially kept them up. Unless you think it was Lampard's managerial genius.

If we had shown the same fight as Everton,and were able,and the fans knew we were able,to score 3 goals in a game,then you might have seen a very different crowd at games. Unfortunately,we did'nt and we could'nt.

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I never read the Archant story, only the "DoĀ you really want to be here; Mr Webber?"Ā or whatever it was headline. So I don't know if they took the 90 per cent thing out of context (certainly some posters here did).

ButĀ Webber also said - and I don't have the quote to hand - something on the lines thatĀ he wasn't fussed about staying at Norwich City and was happy to leave but was persuaded to stay. Given that, the Archant headline at least was perfectly justified.

IfĀ he is happy to talk to the national press and say controversial stuff that he must have known would make headlines in the local media then to throw a hissy fit and refuse to give proper interviews, as opposed to be spoonfed questions from the PR department, is pathetic.

As Iā€™ve said, I donā€™t think either side comes out of it with much credit.

And yes, certainly he must have had some idea at the very least that his comments to Winter had the potential to be taken in a variety of ways. The PinkUn boys were pretty adamant that they had it right on their PinkUn live broadcast today though. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Ā 

Still, the little running commentary of tweets certainly got some riled up!Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

What is interesting is it isn't just Archant- reporters from local BBC and ITV news both say they've been denied interviews too. So he seems to be shutting the entire local media out.

Perhaps all the local interviews will be with his mates Jack and Chris šŸ˜šŸ˜‰

Good interview, I thought the comments about local media were a bit defensiveĀ yet the comments about not risking the clubs future were spot on.

13 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

As Iā€™ve said, I donā€™t think either side comes out of it with much credit.

And yes, certainly he must have had some idea at the very least that his comments to Winter had the potential to be taken in a variety of ways. The PinkUn boys were pretty adamant that they had it right on their PinkUn live broadcast today though. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Ā 

Still, the little running commentary of tweets certainly got some riled up!Ā 

Ā 

It just makes him look hugely petty and thin skinned which is somewhat anti the impression he seems to want to give.Ā 

I know he was talking about leaving football after his time but I'm amazed how quickly he seems to have torpedoed his own stock. I'm not sure another club would touch him anytime soon after all this.

I thought it was a pretty open, honest and blunt interview. He didnā€™t say things just to please people as is his style and he will always be a bit marmite to people.

overall, as I have said before the club is in a much better place than when he started which has to be the key indicator. I do believe as a fan base we do at times have illusions of grandeur of how big a club we actually are.

personally, I thought this season was sh*t but it can happen, the key will be how we bounce back. Fans need to decide whether they are now going to get back behind the club or continue with the approach of over reacting to every word said.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Only just coming to this so apologies if Iā€™m repeating anyone - donā€™t fancy reading the 7 pages.Ā 
I think the interview was decent. I donā€™t have many unanswered questions and I believe it was very honest. I do think that he wasnā€™t held to account by the interviewer as expected from the clubā€™sĀ in house media team and this obviously left out quotes that Iā€™m certain Webber would rather forget (Bazookas and Tanks). That said, Iā€™m not sure what could really be gained by whatever his response would be, which I suspect if he had been asked about he wouldnā€™t said simply, I thought theyā€™d be what we needed within our budgetary constraints and they still might be but not this regrettably theyā€™ve proven that it wasnā€™t this year.Ā 
Iā€™m relatively appeased and he has said enough for me to step back and look at what realistically our financial model allows and give him another year at least. Iā€™d actually go so far as saying if we were successful next season again that he has little else to prove in terms of consistent success for our size, funding and relative to the competition.Ā 

I do also like his ā€˜except Toddā€™ and reference to the bedsheet brigade comments. They made me lol for a second and I think having a subtle dig is not something Iā€™d begrudge him doing.Ā 

Overall gets a pass from me. I know not everyone will agree and thatā€™s fine too. Each to their own - but I suspect the keyboard warriors are outnumbered by the happy clappers in the war of the ineffectual fan influencers. Otherwise we would probably have seen a bit more of a movement by now.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Player's wages mainly.

I thought our wage structure was such that players took a significant cut if we were relegated.

As ever I get quite fed up with this cult of Webber (not a typo by the way). I've been less bothered hearing of him after our season end. He is a fella who seems to attract attention, needing of it. Even when he refuses to engage as he has he draws our attention.

To call out fans is low. Reminded me of Roeder a bit. Another one with an ego that he couldn't easily contain but still extended to fan bashing. I reckon there are 10, 20 or even 30 other sporting directors out there. Any could do a job.Ā 

I don't hate him. I don't really care if he is here next year or not. I want him simply to do his job. But, if there is such a thing as a performance card for a Sporting Director then Stuart has scored an E for this last year. Perhaps D- to be fairer. Yet, he's been underwhelming in any case.

He seemed to go against his own grain in appointing Smith. When DF was sacked we thought he had a grand plan. He hadn't though because he jumped onto the Dean Smith gravy train a week later when he left. Then he told us he had to recommend Dean. It never added up.

Anyway, Mrs Sonyc has seen his talks (very rarely will admit) and naturally I tend to support her judgement in lots of things šŸ˜...she simply said to me "there's a fella who seems quite up himself". And that is my view too of the matter. So simply put (Mrs S is more brief in communication than I am).

I hope things start to progress for next season soon. I hope SW manages to get back to 100% because I'm not keen on 90% in a man who seems quite up himself. I prefer him to be totally focussed on his job even if he is far too self-obsessed. Just do your job, do it more often Stuart and let's get at least a B+ out of you in 2022/23. And if not, there are plenty of competent people who actually could do your job.

Ā 

Edited by sonyc

Just to add, have read done here deriding his comments about fans giving up. Iā€™d agree based solely on the terrible atmosphere of Carrow Road this season. I know and appreciate that on the pitch needs to be ticking to really get us up but Iā€™ve started a thread before about the lack of atmosphere generated and the lack of imagination in the stands to generate a buzz. I feel it in the stands, the players feel it on the pitch. We donā€™t need to be noisy idiots cheering a clearance, but we are terrible when there is any kind of a lull and times this year have genuinely been deathly quiet. Itā€™s when thereā€™s not much action on the pitch either way that we need to get the volume up and use our numerical advantage to create a boost in the stands, too early this year we didnā€™t bother and citing an odd game or two if decent noise isnā€™t enough to justify the main.Ā 

4 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Looks like he's doing one part of his job very well at the moment...drawing all the fire.Ā 

Apples

Actually a lot of sense in that. If disgruntled fans aim all their hate at him then that keeps it well away from players and coaching staff. Maybe he has just decided that he's alright with being the lightning rod.Ā 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

I thought our wage structure was such that players took a significant cut if we were relegated.

Yes, but nowhere nearĀ enough to be other revenues. Nearly all the TVĀ  money will go on player wages + if we don't go up, we will have to sell/ release some of the players on the biggest contracts at the end of parachute payments - like we did with Howson, Ruddy, Bennett etc, when the parachute payments ran out last time - unless we sell a player for a lot of money.

We will still be top half for revenue if the TV money runs out though, and won't have debts to pay like Watford and Burnley if they don't go up.

I listened to it and to me he sounds very very delusional. Weā€™ve just had our own manager come out and say we havenā€™t got any legs yet our sporting director saying there wonā€™t be a major overhaul in the summer. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø Just seems to be so closed off to the world he canā€™t see the wood from the trees and is trying to double down on his failure last year.Ā 

9 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I listened to it and to me he sounds very very delusional. Weā€™ve just had our own manager come out and say we havenā€™t got any legs yet our sporting director saying there wonā€™t be a major overhaul in the summer. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø Just seems to be so closed off to the world he canā€™t see the wood from the trees and is trying to double down on his failure last year.Ā 

But if you listen carefully he states we have a strong squad at championship level Ā which is true. Good enough to win it without Emi, we will see but you cannot say that players like Hanley, Gibson, Giannoulis, McClean etc are not strong at this level as they blatantly are. Miles off prem as a team which is smiths point.Ā 

1 minute ago, Big O said:

But if you listen carefully he states we have a strong squad at championship level Ā which is true. Good enough to win it without Emi, we will see but you cannot say that players like Hanley, Gibson, Giannoulis, McClean etc are not strong at this level as they blatantly are. Miles off prem as a team which is smiths point.Ā 

We donā€™t really know because itā€™s a completely different squad to the one that last won the championship. The players that made us tick last time in the championship Buendia, Vrancic, Skipp, all not here anymore. Cantwell has lost the plot and the new signings would Ā look awful at any level for my money.Ā 

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Good interview, I thought the comments about local media were a bit defensiveĀ yet the comments about not risking the clubs future were spot on.

This is the fundamental issue. Webber hadĀ an impossible task. Buy premier league quality players. But those players also must appreciate in value. And, if the worst was to happen, wages need to be manageable in the championship without the need firĀ the club to take on externalĀ debt.

Only new investment can break our cycle of failure.Ā 

He says that we had a good go at survival this season by the spending standards of this club. OK but can he explain why it was spent so badly, why it was pi$$ed up the wall.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

On a positive note, Alice was looking lovelyĀ 

Haven't you spent 24 years living next door ?

1 hour ago, Highland Canary said:

This is the fundamental issue. Webber hadĀ an impossible task. Buy premier league quality players. But those players also must appreciate in value. And, if the worst was to happen, wages need to be manageable in the championship without the need firĀ the club to take on externalĀ debt.

Taking additional debt mayĀ break the cycle, but the risk of it going wrongĀ also increases. Ā Having been throughĀ the time when we almost did not have a club I am happy to keep improving incrementally or even to be a little worse, within the natural cycle of things.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Such a narrow minded view of cost / reward. A 15 million player can depreciate to 10 million over a season but if they keep you up the 150 million you get for staying up more than covers it.Ā 
Ā 

i completely agree that investment is the only way we will be competitive in the prem as the wages we can offer players will always be the determining factor as to if we can attract top level talent like we used to.Ā 

Listening to Webber itā€™s clear we are just going to carry on in perpetual motion, doing the same things and making the same mistakes, to what end? We may (and thatā€™s a big may)Ā get promoted next season, but reallyā€¦ what is the point? My opinion we needed big changes in the structure of the club, fresh blood, some energy and a different mindset. Webber just seems stubborn, unable to self evaluate and imo totally missing the point when he says,Ā if we donā€™t like it donā€™t buy a ST. WeĀ are the life blood of the club but he appears to want to drive a wedge between club and supporters, his ego has got the best of him and there is no one at the club in a position to reign him in. Sad times.

• Confused 1

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Such a narrow minded view of cost / reward. A 15 million player can depreciate to 10 million over a season but if they keep you up the 150 million you get for staying up more than covers it.Ā 
Ā 

i completely agree that investment is the only way we will be competitive in the prem as the wages we can offer players will always be the determining factor as to if we can attract top level talent like we used to.Ā 

This is true but a 30 year old player is much less likely to attract interest than a 25 year old.Ā 

Just now, Newtopia said:

Taking additional debt mayĀ break the cycle, but the risk of it going up also increases. Ā Having been threw the time when we almost did not have a club I am happy to keep improving incrementally.

We havenā€™t improved over the last 10 months though weā€™ve gone back now even further than when we went down with McNally a the helm. At least you looked at that squad and knew 100% it would compete in the championship I donā€™t feel that now.Ā 

Just now, repman said:

This is true but a 30 year old player is much less likely to attract interest than a 25 year old.Ā 

Let me ask you this, would you rather in the summer we got Kabak on loan or we got Gary Cahill? I know who Iā€™d of rather had I knew who I would of had before we got one of them.Ā 

1 minute ago, Channonā€™s Windmill said:

Listening to Webber itā€™s clear we are just going to carry on in perpetual motion, doing the same things and making the same mistakes, to what end? We may (and thatā€™s a big may)Ā get promoted next season, but reallyā€¦ what is the point? My opinion we needed big changes in the structure of the club, fresh blood, some energy and a different mindset. Webber just seems stubborn, unable to self evaluate and imo totally missing the point when he says,Ā if we donā€™t like it donā€™t buy a ST. WeĀ are the life blood of the club but he appears to want to drive a wedge between club and supporters, his ego has got the best of him and there is no one at the club in a position to reign him in. Sad times.

I'm sorry but I think the one thing you can't say is that Webber is "doing the same things and making the same mistakes".Ā 

First Prem season we went up and gave everyone a new contract, spending next to nothing on new players. Second time we went up, sold our best player and bought Ā£50m worth. That's hardly "doing the same things" is it?Ā 

I mean just to reinforce the point he sacked Farke specifically because he felt doing the same things was not going to keep us up.

I think Webber can be accused of a lot of things, but you're wide of the mark on this.

• Like 2