Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Vincent Kompany on his way to Burnley

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

On the flipside he's well loved at the Etihad, could get some very talented loans coming in, plus those at Anderlecht?

I don't know what kind of players are hovering around that pool, but it's never a bad thing to have the contacts and reputation he carries as a player to bring in championship performers.

Very much in agreement about the possibility of him calling in a few favours at Man City. Will also likely help the young loanees that they're not too far away from home either.

However, after the handling of Taylor Harwood-Bellis last season, who City recalled mid-way through his loan because Kompany wasn't playing him enough, I'm not sure he'll be guaranteed top pick of potential loanees.

And anyone decent at Anderlecht, that fulfils the work permit requirements to be in the UK now, are more than likely to be snapped up by bigger fish, I'd have thought. Like Lokonga to Arsenal in 2021.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Indeed, no one has any idea what Kompany will be like, but on the contrary the facts show that Dean Smith has a very good (proven) record in the Championship. So if any group of fans will need to be crossing their fingers it will be the Burnley fans.

I came across this on a Burnley forum:

AlargeClaret wrote: 
Thu May 26, 2022 12:43 pm
Not Brucie or Colin they’ve had their time , but I’d love the shockingly underrated Chris Hughton ( he’s not coming of course ) or Wilder. All managers have the odd stinker . Top players on the whole don’t always cut it . I like Kompany he’s a big personality , he’d be a popular choice . Ultimately it’s what budget we end up with which may well decide our fare.

If you’d love Chris Hughton, you haven’t seen his teams play very often.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Legend Iwan said:

Very much in agreement about the possibility of him calling in a few favours at Man City. Will also likely help the young loanees that they're not too far away from home either.

However, after the handling of Taylor Harwood-Bellis last season, who City recalled mid-way through his loan because Kompany wasn't playing him enough, I'm not sure he'll be guaranteed top pick of potential loanees.

And anyone decent at Anderlecht, that fulfils the work permit requirements to be in the UK now, are more than likely to be snapped up by bigger fish, I'd have thought. Like Lokonga to Arsenal in 2021.

They could perhaps go for Patrick Roberts, former Man City star of the future. As we are all too aware, "brilliant young talent" from the top six more often than not turn out to be not very brilliant loan signings. Only Skipp has truly excelled for us (and Williams to a certain extent). Personally I'm not convinced that access to such "young talent" is much of an advantage, and would prefer it if we were to steer clear of such loan signings in favour of more proven players

Bullocks, I was hoping they'd try for Smith then I realised they want a quick return to the top and not a few seasons in the Championship.

I don’t know how much managerial experience Kompany has had or what his success rate is, but personally I think they may be taking a bit of a gamble, as it doesn’t feel very long ago that he was still playing. Considering he’s a former CB I think he’s probably one for parking the bus, as that’s what former defenders tend to have as their style of play