Greavsy

Cantwell (Again!)

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I admit it was a bit of a stretch to Sheringham in his prime but Man Utd Sheringham was never anything more than a 10 goals and 10 assists a season kind of player and I think with hard work this is what Todd could become. 

I think if Todd could manage 10 goal and 10 assists in the second tier I’d have some level of confidence this could be the case, but he has not got near to this, even when Emi was tying up and occupying 3 oppo players. Cantwell is still young but I’m not sure he is where he needs to be for most 24 year olds to then go on and kick onto double figures assists and goals. If he got a move to an EPL team I don’t see him starting much.

I guess we will see as tbf Teddy didn’t kick on until the ripe old age of 25-26 when he won the epl golden boot and for 4 years was banging in 15+ goals every year. Went to Man U at 30 ish so would anticipate a bit of a slow down but from mid 30s still regularly getting 10+ goals per season at top clubs. 

I will eat humble pie if I’m wrong and if Cantwell gets 10 goals and assists even at championship level I’ll absolutely perform some embarrassing forfeit of your choosing 

5 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Oh to see the likes of this again …..

You mean Emi in the middle of the park wearing yellow and green, winning the ball and setting up a goal? Yes, what I’d give to see those days again…

4 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

If he starts or comes on first game of the season, would you personally boo when he gets the ball?

Presume no one would cheer and give encouragement unless he starts really turning it on. 

Am I living in Dreamland and there's no way this will happen. Trouble is, I struggle to think who would take him. I assume no prem team, so another top champ side. Or maybe a Brentford or Southampton? I can't imagine any champ side we would want to sell to for them being title rivals, plus no one paying a decent fee or paying him the wages he thinks he may deserve? 😕

I understand Kings Lynn are looking for players.

What is sad, and I mean sad in its proper sense, is that he is rather representative of all that is wrong with young folk today.

The obsession with being liked, being popular, “getting likes”. It’s attention seeking but in a way that is quite tragic.

Whilst they’re obsessing about being popular they don’t notice that life is passing them by.

I’m a fan of Todd Cantwell the footballer, but he needs to realise that he’s been blessed with the talent to be one and he needs to stop letting it pass him by, because before he knows it, he’ll be 40 and he’ll regret wasting what could still be a fantastic career and the “likes” will have faded to nothing.

Come on Todd, see the light.

Edited by Coneys Knee
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’m afraid most of you on here need to just get that it’s not 1970 anymore. Footballers now are precious pampered man children true but he still is allowed a life away from football. Training for. Footballer would be what 4 hours a day average person sleeps for 8 so that leaves a whole 12 hours a day the lad needs to fill. I work 8 hours a day and some days even I’m bored out of my tree in the evening when there’s not much going on. 

in short leave the lad alone. Who really cares what he does with his spare time. He can still be a very good player for us next year with some good man management and the arm around the shoulder. 

I'm not sure this is a terribly good take I'm afraid. 

A career in football means you forsake some things in "away from football." It's the same as being in the army or any number of careers. There are certain things you can't do until that part of your career is over. Such as having a podcast. Those limitations are there (and often in their contracts) for very good reasons which I would have thought would be incredibly obvious. 

Sorry, if they're a little bored in the evening but there are plenty of other hobbies without associated risks that I'm sure the club fully sanction and are supportive of.   

3 hours ago, Tilt said:

A career in football means you forsake some things in "away from football." It's the same as being in the army or any number of careers. There are certain things you can't do until that part of your career is over. Such as having a podcast. Those limitations are there (and often in their contracts) for very good reasons which I would have thought would be incredibly obvious. 

Sorry, if they're a little bored in the evening but there are plenty of other hobbies without associated risks that I'm sure the club fully sanction and are supportive of.   

Exactly that when you are a Professional you have to give and take 

you can not do as you wish / you stay away from home / travel / eat what you are told / drink in small amounts 

you might not be able to do certain things for insurance reasons like waterski etc 

that is the Price you pay for earning 25/40 k a week and being a professional footballer 

like you said like don't moan if you join the navy to be in a submarine / or go potholing  if you suffer Claustrophobia

Being a footballer can be a very lonely existence. That deep down feeling of feeling that you can be brilliant at what you do, all the adrenilin of being at matches, scoring goals, getting promotions, accolades etc etc is counterbalanced by the other side of the game - the down times when there is no-one else around who understands you. There are mates that are mates, but can't relate to you because they are not in the same position as you, not their fault, but that is how it is. Other footballers can help of course, but work colleagues are not always the best for having a rounded life outside football. The lack of a good relationship can exascerbate the problem for a young footballer.

Some footballers are ok, can find ways of dealing with it, others can't. Addictions to drink, drugs, gambling, sex, all not helpful to create a stable life - and you can add social media to that list too.  Once you have a social media following, it takes you over - look at the amount of you tubers who start from nothing, are quite interesting and get a viral following and it takes them over - they then are trapped in a cycle of wanting - needing - to keep their followers satisfied - and some become exhausted by it, have mental issues trying to maintain something that they know deep down is not healthy - but is really just a dopamine drug substitute - it feeds the ego, it makes them feel good to feel wanted, even though most of their followers are unknown to them......and yet deep down they know it is empty of value to them personally. They still feel on their own, perhaps more so because of the nature of the online experience.

The answer isn't more social media, it is less social media. I've always thought the best way to focus your energy if you are lonely is to do something for others - channel your energy into something worthwhile that has nothing to do with you, your career, or your ego - charity work for instance - because the more you focus on yourself, the more you are you are stuck in your cycle of feeding your ego, which at the end of the day is what it is all about.  People make the mistake of thinking their ego is who they are - but if you treat your ego as something separate to who you are, you can see it for what it is - something that just needs feeding and the more you feed it, the more it takes over.

I get that TC is undoubtedly finding it hard that he isn't getting game time, but the answers are with him. Humility, get his feet on the ground, work hard and the rewards will come - and not let his ego get in the way - imo he needs to let that particular aspect go - amd stopping social media would be part of that process. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I think if Todd could manage 10 goal and 10 assists in the second tier I’d have some level of confidence this could be the case, but he has not got near to this, even when Emi was tying up and occupying 3 oppo players. Cantwell is still young but I’m not sure he is where he needs to be for most 24 year olds to then go on and kick onto double figures assists and goals. If he got a move to an EPL team I don’t see him starting much.

I guess we will see as tbf Teddy didn’t kick on until the ripe old age of 25-26 when he won the epl golden boot and for 4 years was banging in 15+ goals every year. Went to Man U at 30 ish so would anticipate a bit of a slow down but from mid 30s still regularly getting 10+ goals per season at top clubs. 

I will eat humble pie if I’m wrong and if Cantwell gets 10 goals and assists even at championship level I’ll absolutely perform some embarrassing forfeit of your choosing 

I’ll save this to choose an appropriate forfeit should it be needed 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tilt said:

It is absolutely nothing like being in the army. That’s so disrespectful to men and women who give their lives to defend a country and way of life to compare someone who kicks a ball about a bit to the sacrifice they make. 

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’ll save this to choose an appropriate forfeit should it be needed 😂

You’re on! And I do not expect a forfeit in return should I be correct such is the weight of odds against you 😉

• Thanks 1

The number of older blokes telling a young man how he ought to be behaving on this thread is tragic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The number of older blokes telling a young man how he ought to be behaving on this thread is tragic.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Come on, there’s love for this lad deep down but he seems to be self destructing before our very eyes. Gifted player but clueless what’s happening to his own career. 

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Those old blokes seem to follow that young mans social media, assumedly to be first to post it on here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Those old blokes seem to follow that young mans social media, assumedly to be first to post it on here.

Yeah, bit weird but each to their own.

17 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

What is sad, and I mean sad in its proper sense, is that he is rather representative of all that is wrong with young folk today.

The obsession with being liked, being popular, “getting likes”. It’s attention seeking but in a way that is quite tragic.

Whilst they’re obsessing about being popular they don’t notice that life is passing them by.

I’m a fan of Todd Cantwell the footballer, but he needs to realise that he’s been blessed with the talent to be one and he needs to stop letting it pass him by, because before he knows it, he’ll be 40 and he’ll regret wasting what could still be a fantastic career and the “likes” will have faded to nothing.

Come on Todd, see the light.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

You have no idea of my age and I can confidently say Todd’s an embarrassment to people in their mid twenties and younger. School children are actively ripping it out of him. That is 100% truth 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1