Sign in to follow this  
kdncfc

Derby v Norwich FA Cup 5th round Feb 1984

Anyone else go to this game?

Just watching video on youtube and it looks like Haylock had an absolute shocker, responsible for both goals - was he really that bad or did he just have an off day? From memories of being there the team didn't turn up and Derby could easily have won by more.

Think we took around 7000 that day -travelled by coach on club cabbage and stood to the right of the goal at the back, remember it was a warm day for mid February and thinking what a dump Derby was as I walked to the ground.

Really thought that was our year but sadly not to be.

I was there, the pitch had patches of sand all over the pitch. I think it was John Roberston who scored for Derby. The Baseball Ground is probably the worst ground that I've ever been to. 

Edited by Top corner

Robertson was brought down by Haylock and Archie Gemill scored the pen, Bobby Davison got the second after a horrendous miskick by Haylock put him through on goal.

Edited by kdncfc

Yeah I was there, but strangely although I remember quite a lot about getting there, the walk to the ground and getting home, I remember little of the game (I was a student at the time, so 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 may have been imbibed).

We were so soundly being beaten that we wanted to leave with a few minutes to go, got outside the ground but we’re not allowed in to the street

We were poor, and even though we got a goal back I never thought we’d go on to get an equaliser.  I remember the Derby fans in “C stand” giving it the big’un all through the game.

Ah it all comes back to me, thanks Cambridge, I think.  How Woods stayed on even in those days, was remarkable.  Great pass for their 2nd, typical of this season really. 😆  

Peter Taylor used a lot of contacts to get a load of aging mates in to play for them, 7,000 of us thought it would be easy, but no, Along Come Norwich! 

I was there. On paper we had a decent team but a complete no-show performance which included Haylock's horror show and miss kick. That miss kick remains clearly in my memory as one of Norwich's all-time .... WTF was that moments!

My main memory of this game was when the 2nd goal was scored I turned round to talk to my brother & the guy behind him was smoking a joint. 😀

I can remember having a terrible view from behind a load of ironwork, maybe no bad thing considering how bad we were. Funny how things stick in your mind but I can remember buying a Derby Evening Telegraph (green it was) at the station and the headline was "Norwich Defender in DRI", and having no idea what DRI meant.

Walking to the ground before the game and Saint & Greavsie we’re just leaving and walked straight past us all. They gave us a wave and wished us good luck.

I think Dave Watson had a chance to equalise in added time but put his header over the bar from 6 yards, would have been undeserved.

A classic John Robertson dive over a blade of grass! He did that so many times for Forest in their heyday.